Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Remember the Sharks and Talakai, comes from nowhere with his power game, somehow gets to origin, signs a big money deal only to then go back to being bog average.
I rate best higher then talakai, but there's a decent chance he goes on to just be one of those highly paid former origin players.
Hahahaha I call this Tony WIlliams syndrome...

It's an emoji that'll have Tigers fans cheering. Photo: Instagram

Reactions: 851
So were punting Tristan Reilly and Mansfield..

Makes sense. We just can't have so much "potential" hanging around and we need spots in the 30.

Kinda sad to let him go, but good as well that Benji is doing a cleanout.
Opens a spot for Mr Whippy. Tito - excited

Paying $700k+ a year for centres isn't going to do you much good. Least important position on the footy field. A guy who can catch, pass and tackle will do you 90% of the job from there. Not fussed about missing out on Best at all.

Man, I was going to reply but now can only think Xena and Gabriel (assuming that is the Jirskyr reference. I HATED that character).

We seem to make a mistake of picking players on their top performances, not how low their bottom performances are.

Ofcourse I would like Bradman best here. Yet his market value is over inflated due to a great performance at Origin + Newcastle playing finals.

The ideal is to pick players like Best when their form is down and will improve...
Well said, Grasshopper, well said...

Naden has potential to be good NRL winger.. tall and fast.. hopefully smells the blood in the water and really puts in this offseason.. tupou and staines nrl.. naden and Lobb in regies.. still not origin quality but a slight improvement on last year... ( noffa released )

When Naden has played wing for us, I liked how hard his carries were out of our own end, but he was a terrible finisher. Really lacked sideline awareness and the ability to switch the ball to the other hand for a diving put down next to the corner post. This can certainly be improved with hard work, but it is something that doesn't come naturally to him.

When Naden has played wing for us, I liked how hard his carries were out of our own end, but he was a terrible finisher. Really lacked sideline awareness and the ability to switch the ball to the other hand for a diving put down next to the corner post. This can certainly be improved with hard work, but it is something that doesn't come naturally to him.
Completely agree, he hasn't showcased it much in his time here but he's a pretty decent ball player so it's not unreasonable to think he could learn it.
He would also need to work on his bomb difusals as he never looked comfortable at the back

Paying $700k+ a year for centres isn't going to do you much good. Least important position on the footy field. A guy who can catch, pass and tackle will do you 90% of the job from there. Not fussed about missing out on Best at all.
I disagree with this. The best sides have elite players in that position. Tigers would obviously have to pay overs to get one of those.

I disagree with this. The best sides have elite players in that position. Tigers would obviously have to pay overs to get one of those.
the best centres have been developed internally. think about it. Crichton, Olam, Farnworth, Staggs, Best, Manu, Tago, Timoko, Penisini, Koula, Ramien, Billy Smith and Campbell Graham all debuted and were developed at their current clubs. the only "elite" centres that have moved around are Dane Gagai and Val Holmes.

my point is, you're better off either backing your juniors or signing guys that can do a job in your system, like Reimis Smith, Tass, Vailea, Brian Kelly, even Star To'a. centre is not the position it was 10-15 years ago.

Olam will bridge a gap for us in both quality and age. he will do that at approximately $400k a year and will probably be gone in 2026 (PNG). Best on the other hand was going to cost nearly double that and come with the weight of expectation that he plays like Joey Manu or Justin Hodges.

if you're going to use the good sides as a marker then you need to go to find players in the pathways that will become elite centres. To'a absolutely has it in him, we've seen it. Heamasi Makasini is absolutely one of those. Josh Feledy has talent, same with William Craig and Navren Willett. those are your elite centres in waiting, not a bloke worth $800k on the open market.

We've tried that for a while now & it hasn't really gotten us anywhere has it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back