Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

A lot of people hesitant on Olam but he provides a good experienced head who has won a grand final and has a point to prove. If he doesn't work out, he will be good depth at least. If he can get his defence sorted out and cut errors out, he will be worth it 100%. 2023 was his first bad year in a long time. 2022 he was centre of the year. We shouldn't expect signings to change the team drastically, it is up to the culture and general playing group to change as one, not wait for a leader to do all the work then follow

Olam for CFB (Chicken Legs Blore) is a great trade.

A genuine first grader in a position we need to fill in versus a potential first grader and it seems we have back rowers sufficient.

I’m not sold on Blore. He’s like Eric Cantona. I remember him for fly kicking a guy in the crowd - spectacular action! Blore made a solid tackle on Brown - since then, nada.
Really poor analogy

Cantona won 4 EPL titles out of the 5 seasons he was at ManU.

Before he joined them they hadn’t won it in 24 seasons .

The fly kick came at the end of the 5 seasons .

Blore isn’t in the same universe .

looks like Richo has managed to do what Pascoe could not and gotten Melbourne to pay considerable freight for Olam.

given our clear lack of quality and experience in the centres, this is a good signing for 2024. the next two years are the concern though, no question. time will tell!
Richo is the best signing the club has made in its history

On Olam, PNG nationals are incredibly tough and resilient. I knew a local who had walked the Kokoda track over 100 times each time carrying a heavy load. PNG women carry huge baskets around their heads filled with coconuts and bananas. They don't raise a sweat in high temp/humidity even on the more exhausting stretches of the track (and there are many). Olam if I recall is from the Highlands and will give it his best and bring with him that hard edge in the backline we have lacked. We all saw his impact inside of Nofoaluma.
I walked backed from Paddy Markets to Parramatta once and thought I was pretty tough and resilient. I have also done the Bay Run plenty of times also :) - all jokes aside, respect anyone who has done the Kokoda trail.

What’s our edge backrow depth look like . Ice , Bateman , AJ , Tumeth ? , who else am I missing , outside of converted middle types like Faagatu and Lualiii. Even Seyfarth at a stretch .
Add Samuela Fainu and some have mentioned Faagutu may be trialed there. But we do lack experienced depth in the back row.

Me wonders whether a play we could make is a swap this year between Junior Tupou & Euan Aiken. Hear me out ...

1 - If we land Olam, then our 1st choice centres will be Olam & T'oa with Naden, Alaimalo, Feledy, AJ, AD, Solo Saukuru & Declan Casey as depth.
2 - Without Tupou, we still have Staines, Lobb, Naden, Nofa, Alaimalo. Ngutlik, Jay Kirk as wing options & depth.
3 - Aiken immediately provides experienced depth in backrow & centre.
4 - AJ not likely to be here in '25 so Aiken can be our backrow/centre utility.
5 - Reportedly wanted to return to NSW & Dolphins were exploring options.
6 - Back when Benji was at Dragons, he is quoted as saying Aiken one of the best trainers in the club & hottest talents around (yes a while ago).
7 - Helps with an age imbalance in our roster and with Olam, brings much-needed experience straight away.

What’s our edge backrow depth look like . Ice , Bateman , AJ , Tumeth ? , who else am I missing , outside of converted middle types like Faagatu and Lualiii. Even Seyfarth at a stretch .
It’s a weakness that we are betting youth will solve in the next couple of years.
I’m a bit more concerned with front row depth. Our backups aren’t coming through fast enough for mine.

He’s on a 2 year development deal starting this year and is on development again in 25. 2026 if he kills it we can safely promote him to top 30, unless we got rid of Nofa early than we could promote him before then.
Re Nofa, I personally think it'll be 1 of these 3 outcomes ...

1 - The Roosters or Panthers pick him up as wing depth & experience with us paying a large % of his freight for the next 2 seasons.

2 - A Super League club picks him up straight away as Nofa sees no future in NRL.

3 - We play him in NSW Cup this season (and potentially Ron Massey Cup if he spits the dummy) and then pay him out for 2025.

It’s a weakness that we are betting youth will solve in the next couple of years.
I’m a bit more concerned with front row depth. Our backups aren’t coming through fast enough for mine.
No one saw Asitasi james making grade last year . Even though he was very raw . I’d say if Miller makes the jump , as I’m sure everyone at the club is hoping he can , then that’s plenty of depth really . Twal, Klem, Stef, Pole , Seyfarth ( I know people don’t rate him because he can plod , but he really does a lot of clean up work , and provides energy off the bench . A perfect player 18-30 front rower. Do a job , but if he’s in your top 17 week to week , you’re in trouble) , Matamua ( Grab that 13 jersey Matamua !! Everyone in and around the club wants you too) , Lualiii, Faagatu at a pinch . That’s 8 players not including Miller , who’s top 30. So 9 really . A huge chunk of the squad allocated to the middle there . But you’re right , there’s a real drop off after the top 4 . It’s why Matamua grabbing that 13 jersey will go a huge way to Easing that angst .. Do it Matamua !!!

A genuine first grader in a position we need to fill in versus a potential first grader and it seems we have back rowers sufficient.

I’m not sold on Blore. He’s like Eric Cantona. I remember him for fly kicking a guy in the crowd - spectacular action! Blore made a solid tackle on Brown - since then, nada.
Well blore is gonna be apart of a team that will make the top 8.. not sure if I can say the same about the tigers!

What's the "F" stand for?

Reports out of Melbourne were Olam's standards are below par for them. Was out of shape during the season and used injury as an excuse. Bellamy doesn't accept many excuses, particularly one which the player can control.

I understand Wests Tigers are desperate for OB's, but he may not be the right guy if the club is serious about uncompromising training standards.
Sounds exactly like BJ Leilua when we signed him.

just an interesting thing that was floated past me

olam had a major falling out with certain people-at the club around how his rehab has handled last year

its not a talent thing its, he doesnt get along with staff and playing group
So similar to Noffa then. So we’ll have two dudes with attitude problems?

Good chemistry between Bud & Lobb already as well. Lobb gets a hatrick and Bud carved the roosters up in this NSW cup video.
Lobb looked good finishing. What stood out for me from the video is Bud is a natural footballer. The way he read when and where to throw the pass, where (and how) to draw defenders and where a gap presented itself for him to run was really pleasing. I am looking forward to seeing him play this year.

So 30 year olds bounce back quicker from Injury then 23 year olds ?

lets call Olam for what it is … a massive dice roll for three years because the current Center options at the club are pretty meh..
I agree it is a dice role, but one I am pleased we are having. Our outside backs need bolstering, like right now. Let's see how he performs in a new environment.

Too funny Tito. I remember that kick from Cantona. he was one unusual hombre!

Back