Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I like the Olam signing. We need someone to run holes & set the tone out wide. We have been a walk in the park for the opposition for too long.

There are really only 2 players available outside of Olam that I'd feel offer us anything.

Obviously- Hymel Hunt would likely be our #1 outside back if signed.

The other one would be less popular- Luciano Leilua. He is a spotty defender, but he is an impact runner. We don't really have THAT on the roster. That said, I expect he'll demand more $$'s than the value would equate to. But we could do with that kind of a player on the edges.

As for Matamua...I wonder if he would be better off sitting in Bateman's pocket trying to learn his style of play? More that wide ball player type with solid defence? He doesn't seem to have the impact running through the teeth of the defence. Fa'agutu, Lualili'i & Pole all look better suited at #13.
Someone has to say it....

Hymel Hunt is 30 years old and managed just 5 NRL appearances in 2 years, there is a reason he hasn't had a NRL gig since round 4 2023.

I'm not sold on Olam at 30 but Hunt is many levels below where Olam is at and pretty much below anyone we currently have on the books.

Your Hunt love is getting sad 🙄.....

Think the key to this one is how desperate storm are for edge forwards. Blore will start from round 1 in the 11 or 12 jersey for them, which he wouldn't at WT.
The fact that they are paying some freight for Olam makes this a significantly better deal for us than was initially proposed. Storm seem to be the motivated party here and not because they need to get rid of Olam but because they need some starch in the middle. I think this probably works out OK for everyone.
Rubbish, they are paying Olam way to much, and they know he’s busted! Yes they need BLORE but that are desperate to unload Olam, cause he’s done.

I like the Olam signing. We need someone to run holes & set the tone out wide. We have been a walk in the park for the opposition for too long.

There are really only 2 players available outside of Olam that I'd feel offer us anything.

Obviously- Hymel Hunt would likely be our #1 outside back if signed.

The other one would be less popular- Luciano Leilua. He is a spotty defender, but he is an impact runner. We don't really have THAT on the roster. That said, I expect he'll demand more $$'s than the value would equate to. But we could do with that kind of a player on the edges.

As for Matamua...I wonder if he would be better off sitting in Bateman's pocket trying to learn his style of play? More that wide ball player type with solid defence? He doesn't seem to have the impact running through the teeth of the defence. Fa'agutu, Lualili'i & Pole all look better suited at #13.
You love Hymel Hunt. Why is he without a club for 2024?

Well if Api's kicking last season with 18/21 kicks at 85.7% isn't considered to be good enough, we can always fall back on either Sezer or Sullivan as there is a pretty good chance that one of them will be playing NRL in 2024.

Last season Wakeham, who is considered to be a very good goal kicker kicked 27/33 at 81.8% and prior to that we had Doueihi kicking somewhere in the low to mid 70% range.

I think the best year Pat Richards had kicking for us was about the same 85.7% as Api achieved for us last season, albeit from a higher number of kick attempts.

People either remember Api's first attempt at goal for us which was a shocker or an absolute pearler that he kicked from the sideline that hit the cross bar and bounced over to win us the game against the Dolphins.
Don't know how or why I was thinking about Pat Richards when I should have been referencing Brett Hodgson's goal kicking while at Wests Tigers, but I just looked them up for the 2004 - 2008 seasons that he was with us.

His goal kicking for those 5 seasons ranged between 64% and a high of 82% with an overall average of 77.32% for those 5 years.

I'm probably like a lot of other people and thought his average may have been a bit higher than that while playing for the Wests Tigers.

I am a big fan of Fonua - so don't write him off as he has all the physical attributes and is a smart footballer!

Yeo - Murray - Radley and the likes were not natural ball players and had to learn their craft - and Fonua has the ability to do so as well.

We still need a big body at 13 in defence - as we found out using Bateman there against Tino was demonstrably poor situational coaching! The Titans middles rolled us!

If Matamua gets fitter and stronger - he has the frame and ball skills! But he is soft in defence at this stage!

Kit is ahead of him - but needs to build into the NRL based on a simple aggresive go-forward and high tackle completion % game like Fonua has done.

I personally like Chris Faagutu as the most likely longer term option as the ball runner - link passer and rock in defence that we need to make the ideal modern 13...

Two players I'd love to see with us are Greg Marzhew and Matt Timoko... Unfortunately GM signed til 26 and I have a idea Timoko may be locked up long term.as well
Marzhew is a younger David Nofalouma, no thanks. Attitude towards defense and defensive ability are both non existent.

There’s a reason why Gold Coast traded him to Newcastle for barely any return

I really hope we’ve found a way to negotiate Olam’s contract changing to 2 years if he comes here. 3 years is too long.
I wouldn’t worry too much. A Fijian team entering the competition will be the catalyst for a release, or a move to the UK for that final year will be on the cards.

I think it’s a good punt to be honest. $425k reported salary isn’t huge for a good centre.

If it doesn’t work out, we move on.

Whatever

??? You’re arguing with yourself ! The club rates him . And all those other 3 are conventional 13s from the 3 middle era …. Slowly moving closer towards a ball playing lock / middle forward hybrid . Eg. Carrigan . I don’t know if Faagatu is that player , he might be , and he’s his age group captain , so that says something else as well .
Matamua is taller , and a former half . So supposedly he had the ball playing skills . Like I said in previous , he might just fit an idea but not the reality .
Pole is a prop mate . He plays like a prop! If he improves his ball skills , then awesome . He’d be an amazing lock . But the whole 3 middles punching forward does nothing for the attack , and I’d arguing if you don’t have the hybrid type i mentioned earlier , than your middle defence can suffer especially with the angles attackers come at you and the agility required ,to not just close your own space down , but the space wider of you . Causing compression and now your screwed down the edges , or there’s a huge gap wider of the ruck . I’m not saying Poles a bad defender , just that those prototype locks can really shore up your middle .
All of that is to say , I backed Matamua , not because I’ve got rose coloured glasses but he’s closer to that prototype . But I honestly could care less who fills the 13 roll . No favourites here . I just want one of them to come through and live up to all the talk . Whether that’s Faagatu , kit , pole or Matamua . Makes no difference to me !

Seems easily forgotten here that Pole has basically skipped 20’s and Ressies and straight to firsts from Ball.
I think you (and many others) will find Pole is a lot closer to what’s considered a modern day Lock than you think…
He’s got smarts, footwork, impact with the ball, defence and best of all - work ethic.
His ballwork could be better - at 21… with all the above, it will be better.

I keep hearing Matamua has the hands and used to play 5/8…
I’ve not seen much evidence of that, in any grade let alone firsts…

I don’t see him as rated by the club as he might have been - he’s barely mentioned, been sent back to 20’s, just doesn’t seem like he’s coming on as much as they’d hoped.

Not arguing at all really,
I keep seeing his name - but no one is providing much else to back it up…
To me, he just doesn’t look very good.

His skills/talent remind me of Pole. There is always one or two younger players who will emerge if the opportunity arises.
I reckon he’s got more game than pole, better ballskills. Pole’s a front for me, not lock only there cause we didn’t have anyone else. He still plays that role as a front, not a real ball distributor type.

Good defender and often does a lot of tough carries but just offers no attacking threat at all. Not quick, not a power runner, can't step, can't pass.
I don't hate him as a depth signing but there would have to be better options.
I would have him as a solid back up

I reckon he’s got more game than pole, better ballskills. Pole’s a front for me, not lock only there cause we didn’t have anyone else. He still plays that role as a front, not a real ball distributor type.
I have to agree that Faagutu offers more in ball skills and he brings a very hard edge to the defence. I hope he can develop into the second row forward we need. Both are very good young players and we are fortunate to have them.

Rubbish, they are paying Olam way to much, and they know he’s busted! Yes they need BLORE but that are desperate to unload Olam, cause he’s done.
Right so the player who has played 30ish games in 3-4 years for us is the guy we should keep?

Melbourne have a stack of Junior backs they want to bleed into first grade. They are Center heavy and forward light. We are front row heavy, for the first time in a decade but have barely any backs!

We now have a big unit in Olam who 2021/2022 form would walk into Penrith/Easts/Brisbane side. 2023 he is still our best back, after the form dip he still outperforms Toa.

No experience in the backrow and Olam can bring melbourne experience.

I only hope we can convince melbourne to take Noffa with Blore.

Right so the player who has played 30ish games in 3-4 years for us is the guy we should keep?

Melbourne have a stack of Junior backs they want to bleed into first grade. They are Center heavy and forward light. We are front row heavy, for the first time in a decade but have barely any backs!

We now have a big unit in Olam who 2021/2022 form would walk into Penrith/Easts/Brisbane side. 2023 he is still our best back, after the form dip he still outperforms Toa.

Dont know about walking into those sides. He’s a bit of a bash them through the middle type, low skill all barge. And he seems to have lost his venom in his most crucial part of his game. Your taking him hoping the 30+ old Olam is going to recapture some old form. Nice bet for $600,000 for 3 years.
Just not worth the bet for me, with heaps of juniors coming through that needs spots. Remember Cronk wasn’t a half when he started. U can groom a player into another position.

If this is for our first game it’s ok. I would consider Alex Lobb on a wing as he adds goal kicking and height.

Not sure on Samuela. Jury is out for me. I like the look of Kit Laualili.I also think Latu Fainu and Galvin will find their way into the squad before too long.

Jordan Miller may take some time to develop as prop and I wouldn’t be rushing him.
Samuela is streets ahead of Galvin at this stage. He's played NRL and a chunk of games in NSW Cup. Galvin hasn't played Flegg yet.

We are in no way "front row heavy"

Dont know about walking into those sides. He’s a bit of a bash them through the middle type, low skill all barge. And he seems to have lost his venom in his most crucial part of his game. Your taking him hoping the 30+ old Olam is going to recapture some old form. Nice bet for $600,000 for 3 years.
Just not worth the bet for me, with heaps of juniors coming through that needs spots. Remember Cronk wasn’t a half when he started. U can groom a player into another position.
The Cronk wasnt a half narrative isn't really true. He was a Aus Schoolboys rugby inside centre playing like a rugby league 6. Played mostly 6 and 7 whilst filling in other positions with North's then got his first grade crack as a utility before a halfback spot was available.
I understand he wasn't strictly a halfback early days but it's not like he was truly not a half.

We are in no way "front row heavy"
Exactly we don't have that explosive front row enforcer who can come in off the bench.

The closest type to that we have is Herman Tofaeono in Jersey Flegg. Maybe Samuela Fainu if he's seen as a future middle by the coaches.

It's a bit harsh riding off Matamua already. You can't bash and barge your way to a premiership. You need creativity across the park and the more in the team the better. I'm probably in the minority here but I keep looking at him hoping he turns into something like Jason Smith (minus the coke). He is 20 years old and has plenty of improvement in him and if ever there was a team that needs more points it's us. Let's just be patient with these guys before putting the pen through them.

Back