Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

His skills/talent remind me of Pole. There is always one or two younger players who will emerge if the opportunity arises.
I reckon he’s got more game than pole, better ballskills. Pole’s a front for me, not lock only there cause we didn’t have anyone else. He still plays that role as a front, not a real ball distributor type.

Good defender and often does a lot of tough carries but just offers no attacking threat at all. Not quick, not a power runner, can't step, can't pass.
I don't hate him as a depth signing but there would have to be better options.
I would have him as a solid back up

I reckon he’s got more game than pole, better ballskills. Pole’s a front for me, not lock only there cause we didn’t have anyone else. He still plays that role as a front, not a real ball distributor type.
I have to agree that Faagutu offers more in ball skills and he brings a very hard edge to the defence. I hope he can develop into the second row forward we need. Both are very good young players and we are fortunate to have them.

Rubbish, they are paying Olam way to much, and they know he’s busted! Yes they need BLORE but that are desperate to unload Olam, cause he’s done.
Right so the player who has played 30ish games in 3-4 years for us is the guy we should keep?

Melbourne have a stack of Junior backs they want to bleed into first grade. They are Center heavy and forward light. We are front row heavy, for the first time in a decade but have barely any backs!

We now have a big unit in Olam who 2021/2022 form would walk into Penrith/Easts/Brisbane side. 2023 he is still our best back, after the form dip he still outperforms Toa.

No experience in the backrow and Olam can bring melbourne experience.

I only hope we can convince melbourne to take Noffa with Blore.

Right so the player who has played 30ish games in 3-4 years for us is the guy we should keep?

Melbourne have a stack of Junior backs they want to bleed into first grade. They are Center heavy and forward light. We are front row heavy, for the first time in a decade but have barely any backs!

We now have a big unit in Olam who 2021/2022 form would walk into Penrith/Easts/Brisbane side. 2023 he is still our best back, after the form dip he still outperforms Toa.

Dont know about walking into those sides. He’s a bit of a bash them through the middle type, low skill all barge. And he seems to have lost his venom in his most crucial part of his game. Your taking him hoping the 30+ old Olam is going to recapture some old form. Nice bet for $600,000 for 3 years.
Just not worth the bet for me, with heaps of juniors coming through that needs spots. Remember Cronk wasn’t a half when he started. U can groom a player into another position.

If this is for our first game it’s ok. I would consider Alex Lobb on a wing as he adds goal kicking and height.

Not sure on Samuela. Jury is out for me. I like the look of Kit Laualili.I also think Latu Fainu and Galvin will find their way into the squad before too long.

Jordan Miller may take some time to develop as prop and I wouldn’t be rushing him.
Samuela is streets ahead of Galvin at this stage. He's played NRL and a chunk of games in NSW Cup. Galvin hasn't played Flegg yet.

We are in no way "front row heavy"

Dont know about walking into those sides. He’s a bit of a bash them through the middle type, low skill all barge. And he seems to have lost his venom in his most crucial part of his game. Your taking him hoping the 30+ old Olam is going to recapture some old form. Nice bet for $600,000 for 3 years.
Just not worth the bet for me, with heaps of juniors coming through that needs spots. Remember Cronk wasn’t a half when he started. U can groom a player into another position.
The Cronk wasnt a half narrative isn't really true. He was a Aus Schoolboys rugby inside centre playing like a rugby league 6. Played mostly 6 and 7 whilst filling in other positions with North's then got his first grade crack as a utility before a halfback spot was available.
I understand he wasn't strictly a halfback early days but it's not like he was truly not a half.

We are in no way "front row heavy"
Exactly we don't have that explosive front row enforcer who can come in off the bench.

The closest type to that we have is Herman Tofaeono in Jersey Flegg. Maybe Samuela Fainu if he's seen as a future middle by the coaches.

It's a bit harsh riding off Matamua already. You can't bash and barge your way to a premiership. You need creativity across the park and the more in the team the better. I'm probably in the minority here but I keep looking at him hoping he turns into something like Jason Smith (minus the coke). He is 20 years old and has plenty of improvement in him and if ever there was a team that needs more points it's us. Let's just be patient with these guys before putting the pen through them.

It's a bit harsh riding off Matamua already. You can't bash and barge your way to a premiership. You need creativity across the park and the more in the team the better. I'm probably in the minority here but I keep looking at him hoping he turns into something like Jason Smith (minus the coke). He is 20 years old and has plenty of improvement in him and if ever there was a team that needs more points it's us. Let's just be patient with these guys before putting the pen through them.

I don't think anyone is writing Matamua off yet,he is young and could still make the standard of what is required.Like all of our young blokes just enjoy the ride and just hope that a high percentage make the grade,some will and some won't and as usual there will be surprise's among them

Great post. Young players take time to mature and they don't all emerge as quickly as Pole.

But it’s not 600 for 3 years…

Reactions: 851
Great post. Young players take time to mature and they don't all emerge as quickly as Pole.
I grew up in an era where most guys came through the under 23s. These days I think most people want guys gone after they turn 20. They are still growing and are playing against battle hardened men. It takes time to develop. Some longer than others.

Except we won't be paying him that much. Melbourne will be covering significant freight

Exactly we don't have that explosive front row enforcer who can come in off the bench.

The closest type to that we have is Herman Tofaeono in Jersey Flegg. Maybe Samuela Fainu if he's seen as a future middle by the coaches.
yes we do. his name is Fonua Pole. Chris Fa’agutu is also in that mould. they aren’t your brick shithouse body types but they can certainly be explosive enforcers.

If WT fans can’t see Olam as a good signing, I suggest to put down the whiskey and drink some water 🙏
Olam's contract was extended to 2026. Bellyache doesn't let go of good players unless there are issues with performance or attitude. That speaks volumes.

Totally agree.Tumeth and Felody are both too small without compensating skills to be good NRL players
Both are held in high regard by the club and are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Both are very strong, aggressive and have plenty of natural football smarts.
Big year ahead for both, but you don’t see many young players as strong and aggressive as these two.
Lack of size not an issue for either as they are comparable to plenty of NRL stars in their positions at the same age, they both simply need to get extremely fit and play with high energy.
You can throw Faagatu into the same category as he’s not at all big for a middle forward, but highly aggressive and the determining factor will be how willing he is to get himself extremely fit and play with the high energy that makes aggressive smaller forwards so valuable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back