Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I think it's a bit unfair to say that. The period from the ANZAC day Manly game to the to the Titans game he was really good & along with Bula was in our top 2 backs every week. Like Bateman who people on here criticise a lot he was a victim to Sheenius coaching where he was moved out of position & played 5/8 for a game or two which completely destroyed his confidence... he just wasn't the same since. Also didn’t help the guy was practically playing alongside a new half every week.

I agree with your post and totally disagree with those who can't see the upside in Toa.

So many on here throw out "he had one good game" which simply isn't true. He has had many good Centre games and has had many more good moments where you see what he "could" bring on a regular basis if he snaps out of his laziness. His Cowboys game was so unbelievably good that when he just has a normal decent game for a centre it's considered below average.

Considering how badly we have lacked genuine tackle busters and players with the ability to make a break out of nothing, I'm baffled at how many can't see what this guy could bring.

He frustrated me enormously the back end of the year, but im not that closed minded that i forget just how easily he beats his man one on one. He needs to be worked with in a few areas, mainly keeping his head in the game and his effort, but if he sorts that out we have a genuine game breaker.

I agree with your post and totally disagree with those who can't see the upside in Toa.

So many on here throw out "he had one good game" which simply isn't true. He has had many good Centre games and has had many more good moments where you see what he "could" bring on a regular basis if he snaps out of his laziness. His Cowboys game was so unbelievably good that when he just has a normal decent game for a centre it's considered below average.

Considering how badly we have lacked genuine tackle busters and players with the ability to make a break out of nothing, I'm baffled at how many can't see what this guy could bring.

He frustrated me enormously the back end of the year, but im not that closed minded that i forget just how easily he beats his man one on one. He needs to be worked with in a few areas, mainly keeping his head in the game and his effort, but if he sorts that out we have a genuine game breaker.
One of the keys for me in the first 6 weeks. If he shows some consistency we have part of the backline we can lock in, but can't waste all year to end up at maybe. I think he has it in him, and hopefully they all see there is a bit more to play for and this helps switch a few heads on more regularly.

Wests Tigers sign boom young centre

Mon 8 Jan 2024, 04:37 PM

Wests Tigers is delighted to confirm the signing of former Brisbane Tigers centre Solomona Faataape ahead of the 2024 season.

The 23-year-old has joined the club on a one-year Development contract following a premiership-winning season with Brisbane Tigers in Queensland’s second-tier competition, the Hostplus Cup.

Faataape was voted the Tigers’ players’ player last season after scoring 16 tries from 21 games to go with 10 try assists. He also averaged 157 run metres per game, posting 94 tackle-breaks and 14 line-breaks.

Wests Tigers head coach Benji Marshall is confident the Easts Tigers junior will make the most of this opportunity.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Solomona and his family to the club and I’m excited for him,” said Marshall.

“I look forward to seeing him work extremely hard over the next phase of pre-season.”

Faataape joined the squad on Monday for its first training session of the new year.

“It’s an awesome setup we have here, and I’ve really enjoyed my first day at my new club,” he said.

“All the boys and coaching staff been so welcoming and have made me feel right at home.

Trouble is initially the cap was designed to level out playing talent across the clubs and especially under the Fox takeover to make for unpredictable ladder positioning as a sop to us following the upheaval in order to re enhance engagement.

Now though there are so many loopholes probably designed to encourage an edge against rival codes especially RU because sport in this country is aiming to capture an increasing market share in what is a shrinking market due to demographic changes , especially in the RL and Union space.

Hence the latitude when ensnaring RU recruits.

I totally get it MM.. just think it's a shit go 4
fans who have to speculate how much caps
left, especially given theres no trade window
& you could sign players a year out, It just
adds to the conjuncture. League journos
would be out of a job if the NRL were
transparent with salaries (once contracts
had been signed off on and approved).
Just a big joke, don't get me started on 3rd
parties either. Everyone is left in the dark

He was good despite having no quality or consistency from the halves. People in here even accuse Paps of taking it easy. Wasn't he second rower of the year the previous season? What are they supposed to do with poor to no service from inside. Let's see what happens when the halves step up.

QCup used to crap all over NSW Cup....
Been the other way for a while now,
The Blokes that can't make it in NSW Cup, Head up to the QCup to get a gig with a job tied in
and make a few bucks while they can.

Not many blokes who are 23-24 come from Q Cup and even make a dint in First Grade...
Spoke to a mate at Easts about this new kid, Good with the ball he says - Cabbage in defence they say...

Can't be any worse than the Ressies centres we've been trotting out for what feels like a decade now
Surely?
I have never seen Kepoa make a successful tackle, especially one on one, ever.. he just misses them outright and then stands back and watches the line break unfold. It’s the lamest , most inept, disinterested defensive centre I have ever seen

Given Tupou is leaving I’d think it makes sense exploring what the Dolphins might be open to giving up to get him now
They have a ridiculously strong set of outside backs
Isaako, Farnworth, Averillo, Niu, Aitken, Hammer, TeWhare
Even Niu or Aitken might be improvements for us

Given Tupou is leaving I’d think it makes sense exploring what the Dolphins might be open to giving up to get him now
They have a ridiculously strong set of outside backs
Isaako, Farnworth, Averillo, Niu, Aitken, Hammer, TeWhare
Even Niu or Aitken might be improvements for us
I'm not going to take credit, but I am warming up to @BlackWhiteGold's idea of chasing Tesi Niu. I personally think he's a better centre than he is a winger, always had a lot of talent but needed a man managing coach (Bennett) to get the best out of him. Benji could be great for him.

I think Redcliffe would be pretty receptive. it would really just come down to whether Niu would be up for moving to Sydney.

I'm not going to take credit, but I am warming up to @BlackWhiteGold's idea of chasing Tesi Niu. I personally think he's a better centre than he is a winger, always had a lot of talent but needed a man managing coach (Bennett) to get the best out of him. Benji could be great for him.

I think Redcliffe would be pretty receptive. it would really just come down to whether Niu would be up for moving to Sydney.
I'd rather Niu than Olam personally

I'd rather Niu than Olam personally
it's a toughie. Olam brings experience and an attitude to training and playing you can't coach. that will rub off on the playing group and help with the rebuild. Niu is a better buy in terms of age and upside.

personally I'd love both, but if Olam comes and finds form then I think we won't be worrying too much.

it's a toughie. Olam brings experience and an attitude to training and playing you can't coach. that will rub off on the playing group and help with the rebuild. Niu is a better buy in terms of age and upside.

personally I'd love both, but if Olam comes and finds form then I think we won't be worrying too much.
Both would be the best play
Both walk into our backline

Olam, experience and class.
Niu, at his best... very flashy and explosive.

improve our backline so dramatically.

Staines and Lobb on the wings.
I really like that.

I've got Naden and him in the same category
- enough natural ability but no head for the demands of game.The depth over the whole competition is skinny for quality outside backs and one or two good performances a season would for most clubs not be reason for persisting with them in the top grade.
May get some benefit of the doubt with a new halves combo, but improving a players mental aptitude to competition can be far more challenging than anything physical.

Both would be the best play
Both walk into our backline

Olam, experience and class.
Niu, at his best... very flashy and explosive.

improve our backline so dramatically.

Staines and Lobb on the wings.
I really like that.
I certainly wouldn't hate that.

obviously we're hearing great things about Lobb but patience is key. really need to see how he fares in the trials. Alaimalo is another that could come from nowhere, but similar to Lobb in that we don't really know just yet.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Benji moved To'a to the wing and Naden to the centres if he didn't see the need to play Tupou now he's leaving. there are some options, but there is still some strengthening to be done.

I've got Naden and him in the same category
- enough natural ability but no head for the demands of game.The depth over the whole competition is skinny for quality outside backs and one or two good performances a season would for most clubs not be reason for persisting with them in the top grade.
May get some benefit of the doubt with a new halves combo, but improving a players mental aptitude to competition can be far more challenging than anything physical.
I think we will see a very different attitude from Naden in 2024. He had a train wreck of a season last year and badly let the team down. Benji and co won't stand for any ill discipline. IMO he is destined for a good solid year. He owes his teammates and fans that much at least.

I think we will see a very different attitude from Naden in 2024. He had a train wreck of a season last year and badly let the team down. Benji and co won't stand for any ill discipline. IMO he is destined for a good solid year. He owes his teammates and fans that much at least.
I agree, he will be a mainstay for us at centre if he can stay on the field

Back