Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Why aren't we looking at Taylan May... He was a bit of a dropkick but seems to have metres and his game.has come on.hugely
100% to the minimum value rule. Souths and Easts have roarted this hugely...

Yet I put this, we can't go chasing Taylan May and Fox at the same time. Sure we can look at the Fox and we have the room on our wing.

Personally we should stay put on recruiting. We have so many players with ???
Sullivan ????? (Gun, ok or nothing.)
Fainu ???? still in reserve grade.
Sezer is he a Geezer or Turkey power?

That's just our halves. Will our forward pack keep punching on or do we need to upgrade someone?
Will our backline collapse?

Lets hold off recruiting anyone else just till we know what we are dealing with. 8 games in we will know where we suck:
backs (I suspect our weakness)
Halves (no idea how they will go).
Forward pack... (decent, may need improvement).

We need to see what team we have after all our recruitment efforts.

So the club signed one long shot guy from rugby, once, a decade ago, presumably for almost no money... and because that didn't work out you think we should never even contemplate the idea again?
Actually Tigers have signed several rugby blokes as speculators in the past few seasons. John Grant but also Jesse Parahi from the 7s team, Tristan Reilly and we gave the Randwick captain Ben Houston a train-and-trial for a year.

And just now we signed Alaimo from NZ rugby.

So I'm not saying don't do it, but it's definitely not a once-a-decade gamble.

Actually Tigers have signed several rugby blokes as speculators in the past few seasons. John Grant but also Jesse Parahi from the 7s team, Tristan Reilly and we gave the Randwick captain Ben Houston a train-and-trial for a year.

And just now we signed Alaimo from NZ rugby.

So I'm not saying don't do it, but it's definitely not a once-a-decade gamble.
I was replying to someone who said we shouldn't do it again on the basis that Grant didn't work. TBH I wouldn't have any issue if we had a look at one or two every year - it costs basically nothing, where's the harm?

Signed a 2 year contract to play Sevens for the All Blacks. He was an AFL player prior to that - should we start looking at AFL players too?
Should be looking for anyone that improves the squad. These days with contracts for train a trial etc etc
It’s not just top 30
The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions

Maybe, but I’ve seen him do it many other times.

Anyways, the point is we should be identifying talent. We need to understand where these players actually come from, their backgrounds etc
Being compared to another ex GPS sprinter who played 7s is a bit shortsighted.
The Roosters are signing talented players from rugby too. As did with RTS.
I like the look of him Bigscreentv and I’d be happy to find a spot for him in our club somewhere.

I was thinking we could swap Queensland for New Zealand for a season.

I can just imagine all the flakey 2 headed Queenslanders refusing to work when they got back, dragging down the national GDP even further than they do now.

Clint will be really busy with claims.

Well the start of the Blue Mountains is only 40 mins from Concord
Yep that’s right. So based on that should players from there play for the Tigers instead of the Panthers?
Believe that’s the original posters point about Bowraville and QLD

No he wasn't. Like most elite athletes he played and excelled in multiple sports as a teen. He was always a Rugby player.
His teen activities have nothing to do with the sport he first played professionally which was AFL.

All teens play a summer and a winter sport at school. Therefore, they all played multiple sports in high school.

Should be looking for anyone that improves the squad. These days with contracts for train a trial etc etc
It’s not just top 30
The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions
Riiiight....so someone who will have a firsts contract in another code is going to train and trial for us or let us "stockpile" them in some reserves comp waiting for us to decide if they'll ever make it?

On a side note, can you give me an example of a player or players that fit your narrative below:

"The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions"

Isn't that just reserve grade?

Riiiight....so someone who will have a firsts contract in another code is going to train and trial for us or let us "stockpile" them in some reserves comp waiting for us to decide if they'll ever make it?

On a side note, can you give me an example of a player or players that fit your narrative below:

"The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions"

Isn't that just reserve grade?
Train and trial players earn $1200 per week.

They will pocket $3000 per first grade game they play, however they’re ineligible to be picked until round 11 — unless they win NRL approval.

There is no cap on the amount of train and trial contracts clubs give. Some are just weeks long, others months and some a full season

An example is Nathan brown at manly

An example is Nathan brown at manly
Also note we are talking about a young rugby 7’s ‘prospect’ who has a possible salary of

Players on Australian sevens rugby teams have contracts from Rugby Australia that start from A$44K per year for first contracts.

‘Experienced’ players have contracts ranging from A$70-A$105K.

Players earn about A$2K in tournament fees, which can total to A$24K per year. World Series wins are about A$4K.

Also note we are talking about a young rugby 7’s ‘prospect’ who has a possible salary of

Players on Australian sevens rugby teams have contracts from Rugby Australia that start from A$44K per year for first contracts.

‘Experienced’ players have contracts ranging from A$70-A$105K.

Players earn about A$2K in tournament fees, which can total to A$24K per year. World Series wins are about A$4K.

Not a bad gig from janurary-may, 5 months work
travel the world. Really rate Darby Lancaster

Back