Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I was thinking we could swap Queensland for New Zealand for a season.

I can just imagine all the flakey 2 headed Queenslanders refusing to work when they got back, dragging down the national GDP even further than they do now.

Clint will be really busy with claims.

Well the start of the Blue Mountains is only 40 mins from Concord
Yep that’s right. So based on that should players from there play for the Tigers instead of the Panthers?
Believe that’s the original posters point about Bowraville and QLD

No he wasn't. Like most elite athletes he played and excelled in multiple sports as a teen. He was always a Rugby player.
His teen activities have nothing to do with the sport he first played professionally which was AFL.

All teens play a summer and a winter sport at school. Therefore, they all played multiple sports in high school.

Should be looking for anyone that improves the squad. These days with contracts for train a trial etc etc
It’s not just top 30
The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions
Riiiight....so someone who will have a firsts contract in another code is going to train and trial for us or let us "stockpile" them in some reserves comp waiting for us to decide if they'll ever make it?

On a side note, can you give me an example of a player or players that fit your narrative below:

"The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions"

Isn't that just reserve grade?

Riiiight....so someone who will have a firsts contract in another code is going to train and trial for us or let us "stockpile" them in some reserves comp waiting for us to decide if they'll ever make it?

On a side note, can you give me an example of a player or players that fit your narrative below:

"The good clubs can stockpile fringe players ( sometimes 1st graders) in these lesser contracts and help get around the top 30 $$$ restrictions"

Isn't that just reserve grade?
Train and trial players earn $1200 per week.

They will pocket $3000 per first grade game they play, however they’re ineligible to be picked until round 11 — unless they win NRL approval.

There is no cap on the amount of train and trial contracts clubs give. Some are just weeks long, others months and some a full season

An example is Nathan brown at manly

An example is Nathan brown at manly
Also note we are talking about a young rugby 7’s ‘prospect’ who has a possible salary of

Players on Australian sevens rugby teams have contracts from Rugby Australia that start from A$44K per year for first contracts.

‘Experienced’ players have contracts ranging from A$70-A$105K.

Players earn about A$2K in tournament fees, which can total to A$24K per year. World Series wins are about A$4K.

Also note we are talking about a young rugby 7’s ‘prospect’ who has a possible salary of

Players on Australian sevens rugby teams have contracts from Rugby Australia that start from A$44K per year for first contracts.

‘Experienced’ players have contracts ranging from A$70-A$105K.

Players earn about A$2K in tournament fees, which can total to A$24K per year. World Series wins are about A$4K.

Not a bad gig from janurary-may, 5 months work
travel the world. Really rate Darby Lancaster

I think there is little doubt that exceptional ball runners such as Darby Lancaster and Max Jorgensen would make a big impact if they returned to play in the NRL, however Rugby Australia also rate them as their future and would be paying them quite well, so they wouldn’t consider making the switch to NRL unless they were paid very well.
Like anything it’s not worth the risk salary cap wise unless these type of players would sign for a reasonable cost to eliminate the risk.

Exactly right - the earlier comment re the money in sevens - yes, it’s a bit of a joke, if it doesn’t mean that they are of lesser value. Most of them are playing sevens as they were deemed too small for 15-a-side. Maurice Longbottom was deemed too small Souths NRL but is an exceptional sevens player. This isn’t the case with Lancaster though.

I would even go as far to say that Lancaster showed more in the junior rugby ranks than Suaalii, Jorgensen and others in my opinion.
Coming from the country he didn’t have an agent until last year.

I feel for players like him and others who showed unreciprocated commitment to ARU, only to have them go and throw millions at an another payer that didn’t. It’s been a really bad situation for Suaalii who was used as a pawn in the media by the ARU.

Just don’t be surprised if NRL clubs use the new rule to get players like Lancaster after the Olympics this year.

I think there is little doubt that exceptional ball runners such as Darby Lancaster and Max Jorgensen would make a big impact if they returned to play in the NRL, however Rugby Australia also rate them as their future and would be paying them quite well, so they wouldn’t consider making the switch to NRL unless they were paid very well.
Like anything it’s not worth the risk salary cap wise unless these type of players would sign for a reasonable cost to eliminate the risk.
Have you seen the state of Australian Rugby? The players are shit.

The Kiwis are guns.

He was here during one of the most disappointing seasons we’ve ever had.
Hard to be developed when the ship is sailing off a cliff.
The Tigers stuffed that not John Grant. Ask the recently departed Nofa (years too late) and the Medical Staff what went wrong there.

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Back