Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

What are our goal kicking options this year
Api, Sezer, Doueihi (although very very unlikely to even play first grade this year I reckon unless we’ve got no choice), I think Sullivan has kicked goals before but not 100% sure on that.

Younger members of the forum may not realise that a couple of the grandstands at North Sydney oval were relocated there during upgrades to the SCG( many, many years ago). Recycling at its finest.
I was just corrected on that , one stand called the Bob Stand was relocated from the SCG and the others were new builds in an old style.

Anyone got the article from the Tele about Richo meeting with Lee? Presumably to discuss sponsorship.
Yeah I’d like to know as well.

Hopefully Lee pulls the plug asap.

I didn’t notice too much of Lees company on my members gear.

It was an ugly logo anyways.

Never been to North Sydney oval so I would at least go once if I ever get the chance to, but given how the ground is shaped, I can believe what you say. Was a lot of the old grounds like Belmore and Redfern like that as well?
Worth a visit. Real old school and a very good atmosphere but being a cricket ground a fair way from the action. Good pub across the road( Percy’s), but in the old days you could get a pass out of the ground, duck over for a couple of quick schooners and back for the second half.
And North Sydney Leagues just down the street. Good club but like a lot of them a real pokie palace now.
Leichhardt used to be a cricket ground with a white picket fence, and footy field ran east / west and teams running into the sun as it set were at a huge disadvantage.
When the big stand was built it was changed to north/ south as it is today.

so what does everyone think we need next in regards to signings? outside backs? middles, backrowers? a 13 perhaps, or another hooker with Simpkin leaving?

I'm curious. give me names of guys off contract and how you see them fitting into a WT context.
Lock & Prop - When Richo announced that we were pulling out of the AFB race, he said it was because we didn't want to block the path of the middle forwards coming through.

Based on that, I highly doubt you will see a 13 signed with one of Matamua, Laulilii and Faagutu likely taking that spot long term. I think we may see Pole or Seyfarth playing there in the interim until one of those three steps up.

Pole, Twal and Stef (hopefully resigns soon) look like the long term priorities at prop. Samuela and Seyfarth are also options here and Miller is coming through. Faagutu or Kit could also provide depth here depending on who plays 13 long term. Klemmer also has two years left including this one.

Backrowers - Maybe. I think this may depend on where they see Samuela Fainu and Galvin long term. Not to mention Papalii is still only 25. Again, Faagutu or Kit may also be a long term option here depending who takes the 13 spot.

Hooker - highly unlikely, whoever they bring in would only be a 3rd option. Could be a depth signing but can't see this being a priority at all

Outside backs - Most likely. Still think we are probably a quality centre and winger short especially with Tupou leaving. We have a few centres on the books but no one in the top 30 really stands out as a definitive walk up starter except Olam. I think these are the positions where we will see the most turnover before season 2025.

Lock & Prop - When Richo announced that we were pulling out of the AFB race, he said it was because we didn't want to block the path of the middle forwards coming through.

Based on that, I highly doubt you will see a 13 signed with one of Matamua, Laulilii and Faagutu likely taking that spot long term. I think we may see Pole or Seyfarth playing there in the interim until one of those three steps up.

Pole, Twal and Stef (hopefully resigns soon) look like the long term priorities at prop. Samuela and Seyfarth are also options here and Miller is coming through. Faagutu or Kit could also provide depth here depending on who plays 13 long term. Klemmer also has two years left including this one.

Backrowers - Maybe. I think this may depend on where they see Samuela Fainu and Galvin long term. Not to mention Papalii is still only 25. Again, Faagutu or Kit may also be a long term option here depending who takes the 13 spot.

Hooker - highly unlikely, whoever they bring in would only be a 3rd option. Could be a depth signing but can't see this being a priority at all

Outside backs - Most likely. Still think we are probably a quality centre and winger short especially with Tupou leaving. We have a few centres on the books but no one in the top 30 really stands out as a definitive walk up starter except Olam. I think these are the positions where we will see the most turnover before season 2025.
good call on the locks. ultimately I think we'll leave the door ajar for the youngsters you mentioned. Klemmer's situation is intriguing given he has a mutual option. personally I'd be taking it up and hoping Miller is ready by 2027 and that way we aren't looking for someone externally.

backrow is pretty interesting isn't it. Kepaoa playing for a contract, Bateman not getting any younger and Papali'i non commital. Galvin I think has made it pretty clear he only wants to be considered for the halves, but he may not have a choice once he bulks up. Samuela is also an interesting case. I heard he's been doing a lot of time in the middle thru preseason.

fair enough on hooker. in regards to OBs we definitely need at least one more with Tupou and now Nofoaluma gone. I think they'll probably assess the development of To'a, Naden, Feledy, Alaimalo, Laulili'i and Faataape before going to market, but I just hope the market doesn't dry out if things don't go to plan internally.

any off contract players you'd be looking at that've caught your eye?

Worth a visit. Real old school and a very good atmosphere but being a cricket ground a fair way from the action. Good pub across the road( Percy’s), but in the old days you could get a pass out of the ground, duck over for a couple of quick schooners and back for the second half.
And North Sydney Leagues just down the street. Good club but like a lot of them a real pokie palace now.
Leichhardt used to be a cricket ground with a white picket fence, and footy field ran east / west and teams running into the sun as it set were at a huge disadvantage.
When the big stand was built it was changed to north/ south as it is today.
Everyone that talks about the old days makes me jealous sometimes. If I was alive back then, I 100% would’ve ducked across the road for schooners at half time 😂😂. I actually didn’t know that about Leichhardt oval that it used to be a cricket ground. I just assumed it was used always used as a footy field and ran north/south like they do now. Running east/west into the sun would’ve sucked.

Everyone that talks about the old days makes me jealous sometimes. If I was alive back then, I 100% would’ve ducked across the road for schooners at half time 😂😂. I actually didn’t know that about Leichhardt oval that it used to be a cricket ground. I just assumed it was used always used as a footy field and ran north/south like they do now. Running east/west into the sun would’ve sucked.
There will come a time where you will be reminiscing about the old days. The scary part is it will happen sooner than you think.

Well anyone who’s sat on the hill with the sun setting knows what it used to be like.
The Wayne Pearce stand at the southern end used to be the main stand with dressing rooms underneath.
Percy’s used to be called the North Sydney hotel and was a very popular waterhole before, during and after the game ( seeing it’s about 50 paces from the main entrance).
New stadiums have the facilities but they don’t have that character like the old grounds. Henson Park, Pratten Park, Belmore, Redfern, Kogarah, Sydney Sports Grounc, North Sydney, Leichhardt.
All had their unique attractions . There I go again reminiscing. Good days.

Well anyone who’s sat on the hill with the sun setting knows what it used to be like.
The Wayne Pearce stand at the southern end used to be the main stand with dressing rooms underneath.
Percy’s used to be called the North Sydney hotel and was a very popular waterhole before, during and after the game ( seeing it’s about 50 paces from the main entrance).
New stadiums have the facilities but they don’t have that character like the old grounds. Henson Park, Pratten Park, Belmore, Redfern, Kogarah, Sydney Sports Grounc, North Sydney, Leichhardt.
Keith Barnes Stand?

Leichhardt still has a lot of pubs doesn’t it? I actually never really had a chance to go to one after a game. Probably need to next time I go.

There will come a time where you will be reminiscing about the old days. The scary part is it will happen sooner than you think.
I’m close to 30 and already have reminisced about things in my life from years ago. I’m sure more will come should I hit 60 maybe even younger.

I’ve played at and watched games at North Sydney Oval. Neither were overly enjoyable experiences. Pretty ground but it’s not a great viewing experience IMO.
I went there when I was 5. Have no recollection of the game. Just the memory of the Magpie and Bear mascots getting into a mock punch up.

Back