Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Laulili'i and Fa'agutu are both the quintessential small forward types with the body shape and skill to play 13. there is absolutely a place for them moving forward.
Paul Gallen wasn't the tallest forward around but he was a good player and captain.

It’s quite noticeable when watching them play.
Kit admitted in his Roar Interview he needs to improve his fitness and he looked out of puff after 5 minutes in the trial against the Warriors.
Nothing that cannot be fixed, anyone can get fit and play with more energy if they want to.
Case point the 3 best 13’s in the game Murray, Yeo and Radley are all extremely fit and close to being the fittest players at their respective clubs.
Interesting you have Radley over Carrigan or even Tohu

The answer is bad contracts. A flaw in the salary cap is that teams have to spend 95% of their cap every year. So even if we have below average first graders in the squad, third party contracts aside, they are being paid at a minimum 95% of what squads like the Roosters, Penrith, Cronulla are being paid.

Without causing another thread war, having a player like Brooks last year on somewhere between 1-1.3million, Noffa on 525k+, Douhei on 600k. That is 20% of the cap on 3 players that at best underperformed their contracts. For 2.1 million we could have AFB and Nico Hynes.

Hopefully Douhei can come back and do something, if not, he and Noffa will still eat up 900k of the cap this year. However, looking at the squad now, it appears that we have very few players on overs and our top end salary players ie Api, Klemmer Papali'i and Luai (2025+) are proven first grade contributors and not paid on potential, I also heard a few of the contracts have been front loaded into this year to meet the 95% requirement. I am really hopeful Richardson, and the new regime can manage the cap more effectively and finally get us back to regular contention.
Nofo was released....He wont take up any CAP for 2024/25

Oh dear, who are the 8?
Bateman
Klem
Stef
Bula
Api
Sezer*
Olam
Ice
Twal *

The rest I believe are bench or fringe players at the majority of clubs. No metrics but my own eyes.

* gave these guys 1/2 each

Obviously we are on a mission to bring through some youth so this is no knock on the kids, just pointing out the coaching staff are up against it again.

Last edited:
Contracted to the Tigers until end of 2025. I'd stop speculating on behalf of other clubs.
The prevalence of this sentiment on this forum is as hilarious as it is worrying.

Last year, 3 games into Bula's career, people were already verbalising their fears about the Roosters swooping in to pinch him.

It's a very weak way to view situations.

The prevalence of this sentiment on this forum is as hilarious as it is worrying.

Last year, 3 games into Bula's career, people were already verbalising their fears about the Roosters swooping in to pinch him.

It's a very weak way to view situations.
It’s a serious fear based on history. Let’s hope the new hierarchy are up to the task.

Reactions: 851
1.2 Mill on Luai, 850k on Klemmer, 750k on Bateman, 700k on Api and Bula.
We got a bargain in only spending 600k on Papali’i but that will need an upgrade if we want to keep him long term.
Stefano will be wanting 750k possibly more in order for us to keep him.
500k on each of Sullivan, Latu & Samuela Fainu.
It doesn’t leave a lot left.
yes but those figures wouldn’t even match what some of the top clubs are paying their top players. Klem, Bateman and Bula (this stage) are overs.
Luai overs at this stage.
The three $500k kids are on slightly overs.

Still those figures above are probably what it cost Newcastle in 2018-19 to recruit Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer, Guerra on a lower total salary cap at the time.
The cap is now up around 9.4.

We must be paying our lower end of the squad a lot more than we think.

Are we being censored on WTF now.
I replied to an article at about 5.45 pm today To do with possibility of club dropping the Tiger emblem, then at 7.15 got back on sites to have a look if any comments were made.

Not one comment, nor are those two messages on the site.
They seem to have disappeared.
If they get rid of the tiger I will never follow the club again

It’s a serious fear based on history. Let’s hope the new hierarchy are up to the task.
Nah.

The small handful examples are so exaggerated in terms of their prevalence and so far removed from the current day, cap situation, coaching setup, hierarchy (as you mentioned) and culture of the club, that it is ludicrous to suggest there's any continuity in a pattern of it being an ongoing issue or threat, particularly if it's painted as a problem solely with this club.

Bateman
Klem
Stef
Bula
Api
Sezer*
Olam
Ice
Twal *

The rest I believe are bench or fringe players at the majority of clubs. No metrics but my own eyes.

* gave these guys 1/2 each

Obviously we are on a mission to bring through some youth so this is no knock on the kids, just pointing out the coaching staff are up against it again.
Pole is fringe - bench player? :sneaky:

Back