Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

yes but those figures wouldn’t even match what some of the top clubs are paying their top players. Klem, Bateman and Bula (this stage) are overs.
Luai overs at this stage.
The three $500k kids are on slightly overs.

Still those figures above are probably what it cost Newcastle in 2018-19 to recruit Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer, Guerra on a lower total salary cap at the time.
The cap is now up around 9.4.

We must be paying our lower end of the squad a lot more than we think.
Salary Cap was 9.4million in 2022 and there was a 25% increase for the 2023 season. The cap was at 12.3million last season and has gone up again this season (not sure the figure).

This should give a good idea as to why so many player salaries have jumped up quite drastically over the last year, particularly halves and bigger name players. Fans get so up in arms when they hear about these big salaries when players sign contracts, but don't really understand what the value is against the actual cap. In some cases, players get a bigger contract but are actually taking up less cap space.

To put this into context, a player on $800,000 a season in 2022 would be getting around 8.5% of the cap. 8.5% of the cap last season (2023) was around 1.05mil a season.

Nah.

The small handful examples are so exaggerated in terms of their prevalence and so far removed from the current day, cap situation, coaching setup, hierarchy (as you mentioned) and culture of the club, that it is ludicrous to suggest there's any continuity in a pattern of it being an ongoing issue or threat, particularly if it's painted as a problem solely with this club.
Also in fairness to roosters they get established stars and I’m pretty sure they haven’t poached a player while still contracted

Are we being censored on WTF now.
I replied to an article at about 5.45 pm today To do with possibility of club dropping the Tiger emblem, then at 7.15 got back on sites to have a look if any comments were made.

Not one comment, nor are those two messages on the site.
They seem to have disappeared.
Has about as much merit as changing the club name to Balmain Tigers.

Nah.

The small handful examples are so exaggerated in terms of their prevalence and so far removed from the current day, cap situation, coaching setup, hierarchy (as you mentioned) and culture of the club, that it is ludicrous to suggest there's any continuity in a pattern of it being an ongoing issue or threat, particularly if it's painted as a problem solely with this club.
Reality is superstars don’t come along all that often. When you have the Roosters and Storm winning comps and Clive Churchill medals with our former players (in the spine), it’s an issue.

tumeth has had the green light for a few months, he can play has been offered a few train and trial deals, wouldn’t be suprised if he is gone by round 2
Unless we're chipping in, which we'll probably have to, he won't be slashing his salary by two thirds for the next 2 years.

He will need a 2 year NRL contract you'd think. A train and trial won't be enough you'd think....

Both are short, yes but are also roughly 100kg each. Pretty nuggety could even put on more kgs and be little pocket rockets off the bench!
Yes.

But we also need a variety of different body sizes in both attack and defence.

Our issue is we've targeted too many nuggety types. Olam, Faatape and Feledy in the centres. Both Laulilii brothers. Fa'agutu, Tofaeano, Mason, Nicholas and these are just the boys under 180cm who've trained with first grade in the off season. We have a few very big boys like Miller, Klem, Stef, Nav, Lobby and Sam F but our average size is smaller than every other nrl club i'd dare say.

That’s the figure that’s been widely reported.
Do you have information to say it’s much less than that ?

I'm of the belief it has been proven time and again that whatever figure journos guess, shave anywhere between 100 to 200k off. The bigger the salary the more you shave. They can exaggerate up to 300k IMO on the large contracts. They also choose to take figures out of context. For example they will say we signed Luai on 1.2m a year, but fail to say its around 900k to 1m off the cap. The rest 3rd party.

In my opinion yes, did you see the school boy error he made on the weekend. Got huge wraps early and I’ve seen him play great for what, one half against Canberra!

Just on Pole's game on the weekend, he looked gassed to me. However his footwork still caused massive problems for the opposition on a number of occasions. I expect him to be enormous this weekend with some match fitness behind him.

Just on Pole's game on the weekend, he looked gassed to me. However his footwork still caused massive problems for the opposition on a number of occasions. I expect him to be enormous this weekend with some match fitness behind him.
I haven’t put a line through him and hope we keep developing him but he’s not one that the strong clubs would have in their starting sides every week. I’m always pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong but need to see him improve before I’m in his fan club.

I haven’t put a line through him and hope we keep developing him but he’s not one that the strong clubs would have in their starting sides every week. I’m always pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong but need to see him improve before I’m in his fan club.

But he is unlikely to be in our starting side too

Pole at least has himself in great physical condition to give himself every chance to produce his best.
I agree I expected a bit more from him last week and will be very interested to see how he goes against a big, physical Dragons team in Mudgee.

You could be spot on.
Obviously anywhere around 500k would seem like a good deal for Bula based on potential, but if we are talking 700k per season for him, we’d be hoping to see much more from him in attack to live up to that value. Again it’s only media hearsay, but in comparison it’s been reported Scott Drinkwater is earning 700k and he is no doubt currently a much superior player.

Somebody above reckons he’s a genuine first grader, just offering my rebuke.

I understand.

Just on that, Pole would make the 17 of every team in the NRL in my opinion. So I would say he is a genuine first grader but he does give a vibe that he may not progress much further, so I understand your caution with him.

Latest posts

Back