Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I’m with Tom on this. We have plenty of reserve grade centres. We need an outside back who is feared and able to break a game open. You won’t find him in reserve grade team lists.

Some people always pushing for fringe first grade outside backs that have played a handful of games or who are projects for one reason or another …with Tupou leaving they have an obvious need at the position … but the replacement has to be an established first grade player who we know can get across the line … bit of size and pace wouldn’t hurt either

Some people always pushing for fringe first grade outside backs that have played a handful of games or who are projects for one reason or another …with Tupou leaving they have an obvious need at the position … but the replacement has to be an established first grade player who we know can get across the line … bit of size and pace wouldn’t hurt either
You do realise there is a Salary Cap meaning no club can afford to recruit only top end players.
Do you realise that when a club needs at least a handful of recruits to improve their playing roster to become a genuine top 8 team and there is very minimal top end talent off contract for the following season, the only other places to start looking is NSW Cup/Qld Cup/Super League etc ?
Also taking into consideration Super League generally has ex NRL talent that are either not quite good enough to be NRL regulars or are in the final stages of their rugby league careers, of course there is the odd exception.
Common sense tells us when good quality players cannot break into their NRL squad, there is some chance of them looking at a change of clubs even when under contract.
Common sense tells us this is why looking at the best emerging talent from NSW Cup and Qld Cup is quite often the best way of recruiting.
The examples are endless, but as recently as this round Bronson Xerri who has regularly appeared on the highlights for the Bulldogs NSW Cup team this season, carried that form into his NRL debut for the Bulldogs.
Xavier Willison who was regularly starring at Qld Cup level carried that form over to NRL for the Broncos last night.
It is not rocket science, players that regularly star at the level below are almost always ready to star at NRL level when given the opportunity.
Based on the above statements, I am not sure why we are not doing all we can to sign Zac Lomax if the Eels deal is not already done.

Last edited:
You do realise there is a Salary Cap meaning no club can afford to recruit only top end players.
Do you realise that when a club needs at least a handful of recruits to improve their playing roster to become a genuine top 8 team and there is very minimal top end talent off contract for the following season, the only other places to start looking is NSW Cup/Qld Cup/Super League etc ?
Also taking into consideration Super League generally has ex NRL talent that are either not quite good enough to be NRL regulars or are in the final stages of their rugby league careers, of course there is the odd exception.
Common sense tells us when good quality players cannot break into their NRL squad, there is some chance of them looking at a change of clubs even when under contract.
Common sense tells us this is why looking at the best emerging talent from NSW Cup and Qld Cup is quite often the best way of recruiting.
The examples are endless, but as recently as this round Bronson Xerri who has regularly appeared on the highlights for the Bulldogs NSW Cup team this season, carried that form into his NRL debut for the Bulldogs.
Xavier Willison who was regularly starring at Qld Cup level carried that form over to NRL for the Broncos last night.
It is not rocket science, players that regularly star at the level below are almost always ready to star at NRL level when given the opportunity.
Based on the above statements, I am not sure why we are not doing all we can to sign Zac Lomax if the Eels deal is not already done.

They got 1 Top 30 spot left mate this year …

I don’t know how many next year .. supposedly 4 at present but not sure how many junior players they are already committed to elevating to the top 30 …

So space is tight to say the least ,,,

They have such a lack of depth of NRL players as we see this week,,,.2 or 3 guys out and they have to reach for noted failure AJK to bring back into the side…. The current starting outside backs besides Olam are extremely weak…and would all be paid under $300k a year

Moral of the story … with the limited space available they need to bring in one established first grade player this year …and probably three more for next year … they can’t keep experimenting on fringe first grade players from the NSW Cup .. and ex Rugby Union players still finding their way and giving these guys Top 30 deals … other teams might be able to do this …But the Wests Tigers have elected to walk a different path and pursue a junior youth strategy instead which has seemingly produced limited results so far

I have never been a fan of Zac Lomax… but he would have been an upgrade in this team… as I said earlier …I don’t understand why he has walked away from $400k over the next two years and there must be more to the story,,,

Reactions: BZN
A parra supporter friend says Lomax has signed with parra, 4 years at $650,000 per year??

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
The difference between us (2024 model) and finals teams is they have superstar backs who can generate tries, it’s that simple.

The difference between us and finals teams is they have superstar backs who can generate tries, it’s that simple.

Yes …I have been saying this for years about the WT backs … and not just scoring tries but conceding them as well through bad defensive reads and not being able to cover attacking kicks and continually dropping bombs gifting tries and repeat sets.… Defense seems a little improved out wide this year but still early days …

Yes …I have been saying this for years about the WT backs … and not just scoring tries but conceding them as well through bad defensive reads and not being able to cover attacking kicks and continually dropping bombs gifting tries and repeat sets.… Defense seems a little improved out wide this year but still early days …
I credit our stronger edge forwards mainly on the defensive improvement. Plus Olam intimidates. Our backs other than Olam don’t bust enough tackles, nor do they contest and win in the air. They also drop too many kicks. It’s a clear weakness.

Bula is obviously the other exception.

For further evidence, look how the gnome has slotted into a firing Manly backline.

I credit our stronger edge forwards mainly on the defensive improvement. Plus Olam intimidates. Our backs other than Olam don’t bust enough tackles, nor do they contest and win in the air. They also drop too many kicks. It’s a clear weakness.

Bula is obviously the other exception.

For further evidence, look how the gnome has slotted into a firing Manly backline.
📸 Watch this video on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/r/7kZeCLma7tKGzZnu/?mibextid=UalRPS

Here’s a parra player shitting himself at the thought of olam flying at him

It makes a difference

Agreed Shinesy. I’ve been saying the same thing for years. Stop looking for the diamond in the rough. I want established players. Of course, we want to develop juniors but unless their in your system and deemed ready, we need genuine of the genuine variety.

Agreed Shinesy. I’ve been saying the same thing for years. Stop looking for the diamond in the rough. I want established players. Of course, we want to develop juniors but unless they’re in your system and deemed ready, we need genuine of the genuine variety.
Tito Salary Cap brother, it doesn’t allow any team to only sign superstar players and even if there was no Salary Cap it’s very rare for superstar players to become available.
Instead of criticising people who post ideas, why not post the names of the players you believe we should be chasing and are some sort of realistic chance of getting.

With AFB going to sharks someone from Rudolph, Hazelton/Kaufusi(starting this week) Hamlin-Uele 2 of these players miss out playing any minutes are any of these guys coming off contract and would they be either a replacement for Klemmer or a bench impact if a Pole/Fainus become are starter next year?

Same could be said with parras centres/wings maybe a Sivo could be on the outer and we may be able to get a new lease of life like Olam out of him. They have Russell, Penisini, Harper and Simonson starting over him with Lomax arriving.

Few thoughts. Been following forum for rages wanted to share my thoughts.

Back