Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

What will Luai be remembered for????
He has 3 options. Lead the team and deserve the 1.2 million value. Play second fiddle to Galvin which could be successful but he would be the wrong half on 1.2 million, or be a total failure at leading the team and we have Brooks 2.0. At least Brooks could win some games with field goals and tries, don't see Luai doing any match winning plays based on his career so far

Luai has been anything but direct this year. He crabs across way too much. In previous years he is very good at setting up his outside men. This year Taylan May (who's more of a winger) doesn't run straight lines and he's also had Luke Garner instead of Sorenson most weeks so he's struggled to get back to his strengths
he comes back against the grain a lot but as we know quite often he’s on instructions from Penrith’s coaching staff. he has definitely been a little side to side, but he still straightens when he needs to.

he comes back against the grain a lot but as we know quite often he’s on instructions from Penrith’s coaching staff. he has definitely been a little side to side, but he still straightens when he needs to.
Have barely seen him run straight once this year. The one time he did was on the weekend and he nearly made a linebreak against DCE. Used to have a deadly left foot step near the try line but now he crabs across in the middle of the field and that's it

What this season so far has shown is how bad we've gotten recruitment wrong for many years. Even with our current batch of young stars coming through, many of them don't have the physical traits common to NRL players.

For whatever reason we've been incredibly attracted to nuggets, small and stocky types. Currently we have Olam, Feledy and Faatape in the centres, Kit and Luke Laulilii, Faagautu, Pole, Papali'i, Bateman, Mason, Tumeth, Craig, Tofaeono, Kepaoa who are all well undersized for their positions. Excluding halves that are expected to be smaller so Api, TDS, Sezer, Sullivan get a reprieve. Size isn't always everything but if you're carrying small players side by side in multiple positions at once those big and stronger players will always force their way through eventually. If they're slightly out of position they can't compete with the power, as was extremely evident yesterday. Out of the players listed above it's highly unlikely that more than 2-3 will be playing first grade for us in a couple of years time.

How many of our juniors could have competed with Lomax yesterday? From our previous champion Harold Matts squad where many of our players have come from to date, none of them could have competed with him. Only Makasini and newly acquired Nav Willett would have had a chance. How many of our forwards have the build and mindset to dent an opposition defence? Fainu, Utoikamanu, Pole (when he feels like it). That's it. 3 forwards who might be able to break the line if they try hard enough. It's not good enough.

Storm recruits players based on physical attributes and teaches them the rest. We recruit hard working leaders and then try create them into powerhouses. Which rarely works.

Moving forwards our back should be minimum a minimum of 185cm 90kgs+, forwards 190cm, 105kgs+. This is what other clubs do, we can't just rely on the small players to punch above their weights collectively.

At least there are some youngster that meet the or exceed the average physical dimensions of players in their positions these days: Galvin, Miller, Willet, Makasini (if he re-signs). We need to keep looking for the next Folau, Inglis, Tuqiri not the next Utai or Fitzhenry.

Last edited:
What this season so far has shown is how bad we've gotten recruitment wrong for many years. Even with our current batch of young stars coming through, many of them don't have the physical traits common to NRL players.

For whatever reason we've been incredibly attracted to nuggets, small and stocky types. Currently we have Olam, Feledy and Faatape in the centres, Kit and Luke Laulilii, Faagautu, Pole, Papali'i, Bateman, Mason, Tumeth, Craig, Tofaeono, Kepaoa who are all well undersized for their positions. Excluding halves that are expected to be smaller so Api, TDS, Sezer, Sullivan get a reprieve. Size isn't always everything but if you're carrying small players side by side in multiple positions at once those big and stronger players will always force their way through eventually. If they're slightly out of position they can't compete with the power, as was extremely evident yesterday. Out of the players listed above it's highly unlikely that more than 2-3 will be playing first grade for us in a couple of years time.

How many of our juniors could have competed with Lomax yesterday? From our previous champion Harold Matts squad where many of our players have come from to date, none of them could have competed with him. Only newly Makasini and newly acquired Nav Willett would have had a chance. How many of our forwards have the build and mindset to dent an opposition defence? Fainu, Utoikamanu, Pole (when he feels like it). That's it. 3 forwards who might be able to break the line if they try hard enough. It's not good enough.

Storm recruits players based on physical attributes and teaches them the rest. We recruit hard working leaders and then try create them into powerhouses. Which rarely works.

Moving forwards our back should be minimum a minimum of 185cm 90kgs+, forwards 190cm, 105kgs+. This is what other clubs do, we can't just rely on the small players to punch above their weights collectively.

At least there are some youngster that meet the or exceed the average physical dimensions of players in their positions these days: Galvin, Miller, Willet, Makasini (if he re-signs). We need to keep looking for the next Folau, Inglis, Tuqiri not the next Utai or Fitzhenry.
More like.. whoever we can sign....and then throw a million at them...

Reactions: BZN
So we now have suggestions that a guy who has 3 premiership rings and an insane winning record only brings passion. Probably said the same about Api.

That will do me, I'm glad you guys are not the coach.
He doesn't showcase his skill enough weekly. Scott Sorenson also has 3 premiership rings. I doubt that he can win us close games and be the man based on what I've seen. We need a good roster around him

Don't shoot the messenger...

They're aware.
The chosen one will be back soon.
New and improve, as a centre.

View attachment 11458

You heard it here first.
As they say "while there is life there is hope".
I certainly wasn't a fan before his injury, but I hope 🤞 he makes a successful comeback when he is ready.
We obviously need a good centre desperately.
Don't shoot the messenger...

They're aware.
The chosen one will be back soon.
New and improve, as a centre.

View attachment 11458

You heard it here first.

Last edited:
Maybe time to try guys like Angus C from Roosters or J Su'a from Dragons as they make our 2nd rowers look like reserve graders.

They add aggression that we clearly lack all over the park.
You want aggression, then don't let JWH retire at the end of this year as he is planning to do.
We need him here for 1 year.
Make him an offer he can't refuse.

He doesn't showcase his skill enough weekly. Scott Sorenson also has 3 premiership rings. I doubt that he can win us close games and be the man based on what I've seen. We need a good roster around him
He's a bench player, you can't compare that with a starting half.

He plays a specific role at Penrith. He showed with Samoa he can be the main man.

Hynes was a back up half/fullback at Melbourne, now he's on similar money that Luai will be on next year.

Reactions: 851
AD ' s best position is centre. I remember him cutting up the Broncos during Magic Round.
Sure he has defensive deficiencies but as I've said before, you can teach a monkey to tackle.
I'm looking forward to him returning where he belongs. He has the ability to be a strike weapon in the centres.

Yea…. LOL. Some people just can’t see talent and need a pronto visit to spec savers. Would love Lomax … covers wing, centre, fullback, is aggressive, prolific try machine for Saints and longer term utility forward option.
But guess we won’t get him. Arthur is great at attracting and recruiting talent.
Welcome back Momo, long time no see.

Back