Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Doesn't the fact that Sullivan has as contract with the WT's enter into the equation ? He won't go on less money and I think that Manly have the money they are saving on Schuster for another worthwhile project not a reject from us
Why can’t we just repeat the Nofoaluma situation, five him a payout and tell him he’s free to leave ?
I had high hopes for him, but he’s been like a deer in headlights, it’s simply not going to work.

I cannot believe many of our supporters still think it’s ok for an edge back rower to never ever make a line break, rarely if ever break a tackle or score a try, rarely if ever contribute to a line break or a try,
EVERY other NRL team has edge back rowers that do this regularly.
Last season everyone was blaming our halves, surely this season the excuses have run out,
Kepaoa for all his faults at least knows how to hit a hole, runs the ball with enough venom to break tackles and threaten to make line breaks.
If he doesn’t start and Papali’i to 13, then Benji is off his head.
'If the head coach of an NRL team doesn't agree with my opinion, then he's off his head'.

Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 851
Why can’t we just repeat the Nofoaluma situation, five him a payout and tell him he’s free to leave ?
I had high hopes for him, but he’s been like a deer in headlights, it’s simply not going to work.
Because unlike Nofoaluma he has not breached his contract.... pretty simple really!

Because unlike Nofoaluma he has not breached his contract.... pretty simple really!
That won’t be hard to fix, simply tell him he’s looking at 4 years in reserve grade if he stays or deliberately miss training and get a nice little payout to go elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
'If the head coach of an NRL team doesn't agree with my opinion, then he's off his head'.

Lol.
The record is on repeat, we will again not threaten on the edges besides Olam, we will be held to 2 tries or less and another loss to add to the tally.

I agree to a certain extent @balmain boy but we can't limit ourselves to just promoting or recruiting based on size & athleticism. But yes, we need to get the mix right in our squad.

We do need to identify those with the athletic traits suited to today's game - explosive speed, power through the line, aerial ability but also possess some other qualities like assertiveness, kicking, ball skills (passing, offloading), tackling technique.

The Broncos & Storm have done this very well!

As you mentioned, we do seem to have an over abundance of smaller middles & outside backs and I think we have started to take some steps to recruit what we lack although some speculative (Sam Fainu, Aimalalo, Lobb, Taotua brothers from Manly etc).

Given we have a definite need for speed & aerial ability in the backs; line-breaking, tackle-breaking in the forwards & players who play 100 miles per hour, I would make sure we continue to develop those that fit the profile ... here is my order of priority:

Onitoni Large
Haemasi Makasini
Solo Saukuru
Nav Willett
Jordan Miller
Heath Mason
Luke Laulilii
Chris Faagutu
Tony Sukkar
Lachlan Broederlow
Vaka Aho
M & M Taotua
Most of our Magpies HM forwards
There is some suggestion by a poster in a NBWT thread on x about Heamasi Makasini that Onitoni maybe on his way out of WT.

Yeah I agree it's a problem but I think we need to figure out why we can't get these guys in space. I don't think it's just down to players not being able to break the line. For example, our passing is so slow by the time Papali'i gets the ball he has defence allover him.

Similar story for our wingers, compare that with how Penrith get their wingers in space.
Takes more than one to tango. I hate using this pair as an example but AJ Kepaoa ran a nice line and Bud hit him with good timing off a quick PTB. That sort of hole running and ball play is what it takes to score in the NRL if you can’t just run over people. Shame it took 71 mins to run that nice play, apart from Api’s deception in the Stef try.

I believe our problems start and end with our outside men. They don’t get our sets going well like other teams wingers do and they rarely contest high balls. Watch most NRL games and the wingers feature in the points. It’s our number one concern.

Our starting second rowers could have started the year better but they aren’t a massive problem.

We actually had 12 out
Galvin
Bateman
Fainu x3
Naden
TDS
Toa
Doueihi
Simpkin

And I think a couple of other fringe Kit or Sukkar were ruled out too. Given we don't exactly have the greatest squad in the first place missing a third of our top 30 is just too much, not enough to choose from
5 / 12 you named made the top 17 this week.

You were obviously REALLY pushing it here BB 🙄

Yeah I agree it's a problem but I think we need to figure out why we can't get these guys in space. I don't think it's just down to players not being able to break the line. For example, our passing is so slow by the time Papali'i gets the ball he has defence allover him.

Similar story for our wingers, compare that with how Penrith get their wingers in space.
We dont zip the ball across the back to give our backs space to move

Latest posts

Staff online

Back