Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

He’s much younger than some of those other fails you’re alluding to. I’d like to see him given a short term opportunity. Galvin and Luai might be able to unlock him.
Is he really going to be better than a guy like Nadan or even Staines? It’s just going sideways.

These are typically the kind of signings that rarely work for the Tigers, I prefer the earlier suggestion of working with the Phins for a swap although might be a hard sell for an immediate with Tupou potentially breaking his foot 😳
Looked like a Grade 3 carry on. Hopefully not broken.

Have you found names they better than ?
Bula is a more complete fullback (despite having a lot of work to do in attack) than -

Bulldogs - Taafe and Tracey.
Titans - Brimson and Campbell
Dragons - Sloan
Canberra - Kris, Stewart and Rapana

I mean, that's four teams and I'd rather Bula over all their options...

Should we start on Bateman next?

To say they're the worse in the NRL is to say that, at best, Bula is 17/17th Best fullback and Bateman is 34/34th best second rower.

Downright hilarious claim.

Both might not be in the top 5 in their position right now, or even top 10, but that does not make them the worst.

Not even close.

Iro won’t lose his spot.
The idea of recruitment is spotting and expressing interest in talented players who are either off contract, OR quite likely unhappy they are not getting regular NRL game time or in some cases not playing in their preferred position.
Kayal Iro has been identified by many as an NRL player in waiting for the past 2 years while barely getting an NRL game, the Sharks have finally realised he is NRL ready and has now become an NRL regular. therefore it’s now highly unlikely he will leave.
Also needing to consider modern day players mostly heavily favour and perform better on their preferred side of the field.
I’ve only ever seen Kayal Iro play left centre, we are on the lookout for a right centre.

Bula is a more complete fullback (despite having a lot of work to do in attack) than -

Bulldogs - Taafe and Tracey.
Titans - Brimson and Campbell
Dragons - Sloan
Canberra - Kris, Stewart and Rapana

I mean, that's four teams and I'd rather Bula over all their options...

Should we start on Bateman next?

To say they're the worse in the NRL is to say that, at best, Bula is 17/17th Best fullback and Bateman is 34/34th best second rower.

Downright hilarious claim.

Both might not be in the top 5 in their position right now, or even top 10, but that does not make them the worst.

Not even close.
I can assure you if we had Taafe, Tracey or Brimson playing fullback for us we wouldn’t be struggling to score tries or make line breaks.

Is he really going to be better than a guy like Nadan or even Staines? It’s just going sideways.
Naden had one good year at Penrith and has far too many brain snaps in him. The Ferrari had a good debut year on the end of an all-time back line. Those were not worthy of lengthy deals in my opinion. Short term deal for NC only.

I can assure you if we had Taafe, Tracey or Brimson playing fullback for us we wouldn’t be struggling to score tries or make line breaks.
If what you are saying is true, maybe the problem is the club? Because look at Ice and Klemmer since they came here. Both haven’t looked like knocking the skin off pudding. Klem’s most noteworthy moment was giving Gutho the one finger salute a few weeks ago. Everyone is so fast to shit on the players when there is a clear pattern for most of them. Maybe throw Bula into one of top teams, in a better system and see how he goes.

He’s much younger than some of those other fails you’re alluding to. I’d like to see him given a short term opportunity. Galvin and Luai might be able to unlock him.

Cotric is on $600k this year and unsigned for next year … He seems to have fallen behind others at the Raiders …and I would doubt they are going to offer him a big deal to stay at the Raiders next year ..

They may want to save $300k the rest of this year and move him onto us… he can come here and be given an opportunity to play for a new deal next year … but I’m not signing him to a new deal next year in the “hope” he comes good… they gotta get past this line of thinking which is very Pascoe like … or they are never going to move past being amongst the also rans every year ..

Still a good shout in April, 2024.

Is Kayal Iro realistic?
He's been next man up at the Sharks forever and only gets his chance when there's an injury.

James Schiller is not an option.

The rest of the list are all solid though.
The roster is incomplete with a lot of young guys learning their trade. The unbalanced roster can be fixed too many halves and older forwards can be replaced.

Douihei, Sione Fainu, Alaimalo, Kepoa, Simpkin, Sezar are off contract and I’d let them go. Tupou is leaving. Players under contract they should move on from this year Sullivan, Tumeth. That would leave us with 10 spots and it’s usually 5 kids upgraded leaving 5 recruits.

They need quality out wide not depth players Toa, Naden, Staines are solid enough for depth.

If what you are saying is true, maybe the problem is the club? Because look at Ice and Klemmer since they came here. Both haven’t looked like knocking the skin off pudding. Klem’s most noteworthy moment was giving Gutho the one finger salute a few weeks ago. Everyone is so fast to shit on the players when there is a clear pattern for most of them. Maybe throw Bula into one of top teams, in a better system and see how he goes.
I’m over the forwards copping unwarranted criticism. We’re holding up in the middle better than we did for years. People have forgotten the bad old days when the middle was route 66 and our edges were easier to unlock than a cable tie. Klem beats Tamou by a country mile.

Edit: Throw Reece Walsh and Cobbo into this team and nobody is knocking the forwards.

Last edited:
You can target almost any player after a loss and more so when teams lose more than they win. In the games we won when the whole team performed well Bula completely outshone Will Kennedy and in the Parra game featured in the winning try exactly as a full back with an attacking opportunity in position should do.
Lower place teams are consistently inconsistent.
He is nowhere near the best FB but he is as hindered as any young player could be, learning his craft in a key position in a wooden spoon team.

Cotric is okay. More effective than both of our wingers at hitting the ball up which is pretty much all our wingers have done apart from a couple of occasions yesterday.

He’s off contract so I don’t know why we’d have to approach the raiders unless we’ve already signed him.

The leaks were supposedly fixed so this will be a good test.

Cotric is crap. He is an average nsw cup player & offers us no better than what we already have.
If we are after him it shows how desperate we really are.

It was that obvious and I started to count the seconds at differing times thru the game
I read we dont have a wrestling coach, yet other teams do?

WTF not if true?
Something I did notice about penriths PTB yesterday is they don't actually play it properly, they roll it before they stand up and the ref just ignores it. Good on them for getting away with it I guess

I’m over the forwards copping unwarranted criticism. We’re holding up in the middle better than we did for years. People have forgotten the bad old days when the middle was route 66 and our edges were easier to unlock than a cable tie.

Yep. Forwards have improved even more from last year but it’s the backs letting us down. Staines is constantly out of position on his wing and no where to be see anytime we make a break and Tupou plays with all the heart and urgency of an intellectually challenged goldfish.

Oh can you?

Well, as long as we're making assurances, here's one: Bula is both defensively and positionally far better than those three.

He's also learning on the run on how to attack and is 12 months almost to the day from his debut. He will improve in this area in time.

How long have those blokes been around first grade?

Members online

No members online now.
Back