Simpkin

Simpkin wasn’t coming back from ressies to go 80 against Parras pack.
Brooks was always going to 9…
That’s why madden was there.

I get the reasoning - just though he could have been better… held his own against shitty teams, didn’t step up against sharks or Parra…
Dunno he’s the saviour he’s been claimed to be - time will tell…

Hoping they’re just off from the shake up and it works better this week - a win against the rabbits would really set us up to hit our straps playing some of the lower spots Des with some stock coming back in
Madden was only ever a fill in until Hastings came in. He served a purpose.

Watching the replay, saw some stuff I didn't see first time around.

In the lead up to our second try, Simpkin runs straight at the A defender which draws their entire defensive line one man in. This creates the overlap for Brooks to throw the long ball to Nofoaluma, who scores in the corner. In the same play, the fullback is stuck at marker, so Simpkin delays his pass a moment so he can't race across to put a try saver on.

Top notch dummy half play there. Very reminiscent of Robbie Farah. Has clearly rubbed off on him.

kkZZocx.png

He took a few runs out of dummy half against Parra. He was known for this when we signed him, but it seemed to evaporate out of his game. Whether it was coached or he lacked confidence I don't know but it certainly added another dimension to the attack having him taking the line on out of DH.

He has lifted this season, played a few strong games.
If he keeps it going wouldn't mind him sticking around abit longer.
I agree. I was critical of his signing and knew it was only for leadership only, which we lacked. Last year was abysmal and I would have been happy if he retired, but credit where it is due. He has led from the front in the last few games and if he continues, Id try and squeeze one more year if he can deliver that standard.

He took a few runs out of dummy half against Parra. He was known for this when we signed him, but it seemed to evaporate out of his game. Whether it was coached or he lacked confidence I don't know but it certainly added another dimension to the attack having him taking the line on out of DH.
Coached out of him.
His natural running game was shown on the weekend.
Someone told Hastings he was running the attack
Someone told Simpkin to run
Someone told Brooks to run
Someone told Laurie to follow the play and pop up in support.
Sheens spoke up.

The forwards have gotta do their job for a dummy half to be able to run.... Can't just tell him to run if his ball runners are getting dominated

100% but they also need support. If the forwards have runners going up with them then it forces the defence to think differently which often creates the opportunity for a dart from dummy half.

I’d argue the forwards have done their jobs to a reasonable level this year, the backs just haven’t turned field position into points.
Had we attacked Warriors and Titans as we did Melbourne and Parra we would have beaten them both comfortably.
There is a noticeable flat spot mid second half which coincides with use of our rubbish benchies. Sorry Twal. Starters miss tackles like Musgrove did.

Back