SOO I 2020 *Spoliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t really get why people underestimated the QLD forwards, the Melbourne boys and Papali would probably walk into the NSW team on form. Jayden Su’a aswell

The only one that looks out of place is Coen Hess...

Meanwhile most of NSW forwards have been picked on reputation, apart from Paulo and Murray who have had good years imo

@Speed2burn said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259051) said:
Don’t really get why people underestimated the QLD forwards, the Melbourne boys and Papali would probably walk into the NSW team on form. Jayden Su’a aswell

Meanwhile most of NSW forwards have been picked on reputation, apart from Paulo and Murray who have had good years imo

NSW missed Cameron Murray. What a great forward he is in the NRL and SOO. Cleary again got found out and his lack of pace is more noticeable in higher standard games.

I listened to what Fittler had to say about Nofoaluma on 9 in terms of SOO selection. Nofoaluma has to get the basics right to be a contender for SOO due to his size and pace. I took that to mean catching the high ball and making the correct decisions in defence and ensuring the player is locked up. I am not a Fittler supporter but what he requires isn't unreasonable.

1/2 backs should not be shouldered with kicking duties,it leaves little time to be a running at holes when your only concern is getting in the red zone.The only one who can do both is Cheery Evans,C Smith for STORM does the kicks,Cook for Sths plays like a7 allowing 3 attacking halves.Cleary should be a 9 cause he plays like Smith.All halve being critised for not running the ball.The main kicker should not be your 1/2 back,it should not be their job.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259054) said:

NSW missed Cameron Murray. What a great forward he is in the NRL and SOO. Cleary again got found out and his lack of pace is more noticeable in higher standard games.

I listened to what Fittler had to say about Nofoaluma on 9 in terms of SOO selection. Nofoaluma has to get the basics right to be a contender for SOO due to his size and pace. I took that to mean catching the high ball and making the correct decisions in defence and ensuring the player is locked up. I am not a Fittler supporter but what he requires isn't unreasonable.

That’s fair enough but after some “efforts” by Gutho and wighton in the centres (1 on 1 tackles), those standards seem to be pretty low

Gutho in particular has always been a terrible defender, no idea why he wasn’t targeted more. Remember when Luai steam rolled him in a game this year? Lol

Then he gets rolled by Luke capewell of all people. Wighton was surprisingly bad but then again centre isn’t his position

@Speed2burn said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259084) said:

That’s fair enough but after some “efforts” by and wighton in the centres (1 on 1 tackles), those standards seem to be pretty low

Gutho in particular has always been a terrible defender, no idea why he wasn’t targeted more. Remember when Luai steam rolled him in a game this year? Lol

Gutho was targeted alright 32 tackles for a centre is ridiculous. Capewell scored off it too.

What won Queensland the game was their kicking, pinned Nsw in the corner every set in the second Half while Cleary and Keary kept putting it on the 20

Two terrible defensive efforts by the centres lead to two tries and a crap dropped ball intercept. Really NSW shot themselves in the foot

@JoshColeman99 said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259089) said:

That’s fair enough but after some “efforts” by and wighton in the centres (1 on 1 tackles), those standards seem to be pretty low

Gutho was targeted alright 32 tackles for a centre is ridiculous. Capewell scored off it too.

What won Queensland the game was their kicking, pinned Nsw in the corner every set in the second Half while Cleary and Keary kept putting it on the 2.

Two terrible defensive efforts by the centres lead to two tries and a crap dropped ball intercept. Really NSW shot themselves in the foot

I kept mentioning during the game clearys kicking in origin reminded me of Pearces years ago. Straight down the throat of slater every time

Not sure what to do with Cleary but I think the grand final loss has probably shook him a bit. No use dropping him now and I’m not sure Fittler has the balls to

@Speed2burn said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259092) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259089) said:

What won Queensland the game was their kicking, pinned Nsw in the corner every set in the second Half while Cleary and Keary kept putting it on the 2.

I kept mentioning during the game clearys kicking in origin reminded me of Pearces years ago. Straight down the throat of slater every time

Not sure what to do with Cleary but I think the grand final loss has probably shook him a bit. No use dropping him now and I’m not sure Fittler has the balls to

Even Freddy mentioned he wasn’t happy with their kicking game. Normally he’s so good at putting it into corners but obviously big chin is still shaken up by the GF like you said. That’ll have to be fixed Queensland had all the field position in the second half party due to their kicking was way better than NSW. Murray not playing didn’t help either.

@Spud_Murphy said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1258967) said:
@tig_prmz said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1258761) said:
The last few seconds were bizarre. Kaufusi was sin binned at 79:38 but the clock didn't stop till 79:47 and even the blatant pushing down wasn't punished on Tedesco. Have no doubt in my mind that it should've been another sin bin with Blues having an extra play.

**In saying that though, bravo to Bennett. He honestly never fails. I can only think of the England job that he failed at recently (since they couldn't even beat NZ) but he's just a freak.** Would love to be a fly on the wall for his player conversations.

Newcastle supporters might beg to differ.

definitely the aftermath was terrible (Tinkler was to blame as well), but he did take them to Prelims which is currently still their best since Joey retired.

It’s probably been mentioned numerous times on here with all the football wisdom I’ve enjoyed reading.
I just want to add to the chorus of discontent, and mention the poor sportsmanship display by Kafusi in the last seconds . His reluctance to go from the field and further hold up the game, makes me wonder why the refs don’t put a clock on players in that situation.
Woodsy could have run 100mts in the time it took Kaufusi to go 3mts. Get a clock on them!
It’s 2020 why are we allowing players affect the tempo of the game after they are sent from the field for the same offence?

If you take out the majority of the 90's when NSW packs dominated ....for the most forward packs cancel each other out at this level

The difference in the end was Munster taking the game by the scruff of the neck and his combinations with Kaufusi

Personally think NSW played too much percentages footy thinking Qld would eventually fold

@tiger_scott said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259217) said:
at the end of the day, a Queensland win is always a beautiful thing

No it is not.

I finally agree with Joey: Keary/Walker is the best combo

1. teddy
2. tupou/cotric
3. crichton
4. lomax (gk)
5. jac
6. walker
7. keary
8. Jake T
9. Cook
10. Saifiti
11. Crichton
12. Frizell
13. Finucane

14. Wighton
15. Paulo
16. Brown
17. Haas

Lads, over the last couple of days I have been pondering on the result. After an indifferent season (COVID - bushfires) that SOO is/was a step too far in relation to players' welfare and for the power brokers, the last chance to cash in. TV ratings/media is the backbone of our great game, but I just have this bad taste in my mouth that Queensland victory was for ratings and not the better side
I know this will bring up some heated debate, but even through Queensland 10 years of dominance we through NSW a bone or two.
Time will tell if we get flogged in the next 2 games, over to you!!

Cordner rules himself out of SOO. One game too late IMO, he should never have played in the first place. I hope retires for the benefit of his own health.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2020/11/06/cordner-rules-himself-out-of-origin-series/?fbclid=IwAR3f0LsEXk-49gdWoebHU3ur6UGG-3dBo6dMGq5lf9YJZOjzgOSj2_du2A4

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time Teddy has captained any side at any grade ever.

NSW should smash them this game

NSW forward pack looks way better. Haas starting makes more sense, Paulo can provide impact off the bench, Cordner out for Crichton, Yeo, Finucane and Brown are all great off the bench too.

Cody Walker gets his chance at redemption starting at 6

Gutho still at centre gross

@JoshColeman99 said in [SOO I 2020 \*Spoliers](/post/1259260) said:
NSW forward pack looks way better. Haas starting makes more sense, Paulo can provide impact off the bench, Cordner out for Crichton, Yeo, Finucane and Brown are all great off the bench too.

Cody Walker gets his chance at redemption starting at 6

Gutho still at centre gross

I think TikTok Cleary can count himself very lucky to be still in the squad. And yes Gutherson is not a centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back