Tahu out of Origin.... Monaghan in

Good on Timana, whether people agree or disagree with his decision he did what he believed in and thought was right. People can interpret the comments made however they want but at the end of the day none of us heard what he said and how he said it so we cannot make a proper judgement.
As for wests4ever you really do sound like a moron who is trying to sound tough.

@benjibrotown said:
People can interpret the comments made however they want but at the end of the day none of us heard what he said and how he said it so we cannot make a proper judgement.

That's true.

Hey guys,

I have to say I agree with Stryker and Southern and others.

Ron, you make a good point that is often raised about "racism in reverse" where the scenario is switched and the white is the victim of racism. The reason that is left out of most discussion about racism is because racism isn't just about the insult, its about the history and perceptions BEHIND the insult. And obviously, that history and those perceptions only go one way, so racism can only work one way, that's why black C will cause some people to sit up and take notice and white C won't.

I think Tahu did the right thing, and I was pleased to see his video and how he mentioned this is something common to the game.

In regards to some of the less intelligent posts, I guess the only thing we all have in common is being tigers fans, not our views, eloquence, respect and tolerance.

@southerntiger said:
@Geo. said:
Toxic culture in league….... :laughing:

Joey tries to use his brain to motivate....and look what happens.....let's blow it all out of proportion and take the focus of winning Origin off the smug toads.....

Brilliant ....

Obviously Tahu feels strongly enough to not want to play.....Fair enough if that's the way he feels then walk out on ya mates,.....don't try and let deeds on the footy field make a statement....

Geo I love the game but generally think the off-field culture is horrible - this kind of behaviour is symbolic of wider problems in the game. I dont think it has been blown out of proportion - this a horrible, hateful thing to say.

How would his deeds on the footy field make a statement? Johns wasnt questioning anyone's talent or ability. They only way that Tahu could make a statement was to do what he did. I have now changed my view on Timana.

**I think the mateship argument is crap - at the end of the day this is one football game which pales in comparison to institutionalised racism**.

You're 100% correct there ST. The "mateship" argument is null and void. If anything, his team mates should be standing by him and not the other way around. Timana has probably done the game a service by highlighting the issue that racism is still rife in the game.

I went to a school where Caucasians were a minority. I was hassled by the other kids for my appearance, both verbally and physically. It's not pleasant, and I'd like think that as a progressive society that this disappears in the not too distant future. Last time I checked we all lived on the same planet and bled the same shade of red…

Tahu should be commended not criticised, people branding him a sook only goes to prove his actual point. When you have kids you have a better understanding of these things.

On a side note though what a bloody mess NSW are in at the moment, Assistance coach sacked. Run on player walking out and the whole incident only serving as even more motivation for QLD to run riot Wednesday night.
Add to that Bellamy is Inglis's coach and their best player is of the same descent as Tahu.

I'm just really surprised nobody has asked Gallen for a comment yet.

@MGB said:

:laughing: God help us…

Good point about Hayne there. Your right, some of the blokes who would have been listening to Joey's ranting could have been described the same way.

Now we have that absolute dunce called Mundine ( who I certainly believe is a racist), throwing his two bobs in as well and calling for strikes on Origin.

Where is the leadership from the NRL...Is someone other than Tahu going to say anything??

I agree with most of what Stryker has written but it is not helpful to stereotype homosexuals in making your point As a proud Queenslander I cant wait to see how GI will demolish this poofy blues backline
I am sure that Ian Roberts would not agree with your assertion that gays are not masculine.
Tahu would have been justified in his actions on the single comment by Jones alone. It was a despicable comment especially given the history of this country and the prejudice that Aboriginals have had to endure.
I suspect however that Tahu has heard these comments regularly in his football career. It might have been the last straw and galvanised him to make this courageous stand. A stand that has led to him being belittled in public by many people including a good proportion of people on this forum.
It’s important to remember that Jones is assistant coach. He was in a position of authority, he therefore represents the blues coaching staff and management. All these comments about dealing with it man to man or taking it up with management, keeping it quite, miss the point. That attitude just reinforces the type of behaviour that Jones demonstrated. Makes them think it's not taht big a deal. The initial reaction to cover up and spin by NSW is evidence of that.
Rugby League has an issue here. It’s only the last in a long line of gutter comments..Fletcher, Gallen. What makes this worse is that an assistant coach in the biggest event of the rugby league calender made the comment. That suggests it’s a structural problem that is endemic.
Media circus….bring it on so things might change.

@stryker said:
@MGB said:

:laughing: God help us…

God help us if the DNA freak was playing!

I'm surprised no one has asked Ennis about his view on the incident, this media ban must be killing him and his media buddies inside!

I didnt see it last year as once the footys over thats all I watch, but theyre talking a lot this arvo on radio about last years origin III after the shield was presented all the aboriginal players from QLD were posing for a photo, Lockyer apparently went to get in the photo and was asked not to join or something like that…anyone recall this??

Now I can imagine what would happen if the white boys in the team did this, thered be mayhem.

Graeme Hughes sits on the fence pickin splinters outta his arse - when asked if he thought this was appropriate, "Im fine with this as long as Lockyer is fine with it"

if he called him a black c… isnt he baseing that on his appearence, why does race have to brought into it, to me its like calling someone a fat c... or red headed c... , and its something fatty vauton brought up on the footy show and wendall sailer had no answer for.

I hear that this isn't the first time that Joey has made comments like this. That doesn't do him any favours. He could have had almost any tv or coaching job that he wanted but now he has lost his NSW Assistant Coach job. He may have been the NSW Head Coach one day but I don't think he will now.

@red dogg said:
if he called him a black c… isnt he baseing that on his appearence, why does race have to brought into it, to me its like calling someone a fat c... or red headed c... , and its something fatty vauton brought up on the footy show and wendall sailer had no answer for.

Maybe he should just stop using that c word altogether. :laughing:

@red dogg said:

Geez comparing race to body fat - yeh thats a fair comparison. I mean there have been so many examples of systematic genocide on fat people. This is why people like Vautin should stick to things they have some semblance of knowledge on.

i think the media jump the gun in regards to racism, calling someone a black C isnt being racisit, now going out and physically assulting someone or intending to kill someone based on the colour of their skin…thats racisim....watching the back page last night had me shaking my head when the headline came up "racism controversy", IMO they really have it distorted and dont know what racism actually is

Plus how can they beat up joey for this when the papers and goverment use racial profiling to determine someone as a terrorist threat?
\
\
and i agree with what ink posted, last year when the indiginous fellas posed seperate to the white fellas for the photos...why wasnt there an uproar then about the indiginous discriminating against the whites in that instance? was that a show of "racisim" as they call are calling it now?

IMO they are being over sensative about this issue and have it so distorted as to what racisim actually is that its pretty embarressing

@ron burgandy said:
i think the media jump the gun in regards to racism, calling someone a black C isnt being racisit, now going out and physically assulting someone or intending to kill someone based on the colour of their skin…thats racisim....watching the back page last night had me shaking my head when the headline came up "racism controversy", IMO they really have it distorted and dont know what racism actually is

Plus how can they beat up joey for this when the papers and goverment use racial profiling to determine someone as a terrorist threat?
\
\
and i agree with what ink posted, last year when the indiginous fellas posed seperate to the white fellas for the photos...why wasnt there an uproar then about the indiginous discriminating against the whites in that instance? was that a show of "racisim" as they call are calling it now?

IMO they are being over sensative about this issue and have it so distorted as to what racisim actually is that its pretty embarressing

I agreed with the guys on the Back page last night. In general they were saying that Andrew Johns isn't a racist but he is just ignorant and that he said what he said because he was ignorant to the fact that whilst he might not find what he said offensive, other people might and that he should think before he says stuff like that.

They also said that he does a lot of stuff for the indigenous and polynesian community. If he was really a racist, he would not go anywhere near those communities. Remember in the off season when there was a Tsunami in the Pacific Islands last year? I think its been forgotten that Andrew Johns was over there helping the communities.

To me racism is when one race implies that it is superior to another race, such as apartheid in South Africa where they had White's only areas and black people weren't allowed to visit their country because of their colour, or in America where African Americans were forced into slavery because their skin colour was seen as inferior to the Europeans.

I got an Asian mate that calls me Whiteboy, I call him Asia. I've been called by Lebanese people a white c*** and as white as a ghost. And I dont gt offended.

I also agreed with Mike Gibson in that, if it was the other way around and say for example Inglis or Tahu called Johns a White c*** would there be the same reaction and would he get offended?

@ron burgandy said:

\
\

Sorry Ron, calling someone a Black C can never be justified. It is this kind of behaviour that allows more problematic forms of racism to flourish. I like Johns and I am not having a go at him. His problem is upbringing and the culture of football.

@southerntiger said:
@ron burgandy said:

\
\

Sorry Ron, calling someone a Black C can never be justified. It is this kind of behaviour that allows more problematic forms of racism to flourish. I like Johns and I am not having a go at him. His problem is upbringing and the culture of football.

im not justifying it, but calling someone a black C is not being racist like the media is portraying it, im a "halfcast" mate and the indigenous side of me is embarressed that this is being played out as "racial vilification" by the media.

Its a dumb unthoughtful comment but its hardly the act of a racist, ive had other black fellas call me a black so&so over the years are they racist? or is it ok for them to say because they are black also?

the media love a good beat up and this is all this is.

We all know that people are the same wherever you go. There is good and bad in everyone. We learn to live. We learn to give each other what we need to survive, together alive.

Back