THE 4......THREAD

@Sabre said:
@Balmain Boy said:
Danny Wiedler exclusives are like:

"Many clubs are interested in signing good players"

"Every club has half their squad off contract, and the Tigers do too and they're a basketcase for letting this happen"

"The Tigers have re-signed a promising junior and senior players are upset by this"

How this person gets a job in the media is beyond me. Anyone who believes anything he says is a gullible moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2FVuqcctDk

Not a huge fan of Te'o but this was pretty darn funny.

NRL 2017: Wests Tigers stars impose a ‘no-contract talk’ pact in $3.2 million retention battle

Dan Walsh
February 14, 2017 2:47pm
DAN WALSH@dan_walsh64
Source: FOX SPORTS
“SORRY, mate. Can’t really answer that one either, it all comes under contract talk.”

I’ve just asked Luke Brooks what his priority is with his next deal, the type of question that is being fired by pests with microphones every time he steps in front of one.

Brooks, halves partner Mitch Moses, their club skipper Aaron Woods and his NSW teammate James Tedesco are all off-contract at the end of 2017, and all of them are able to field lucrative rival offers at this very moment.

Conservatively speaking, it’s a $3.2 million retention battle that doubles as the biggest and most influential in the Wests Tigers’ history, while another dozen or so first graders are also hitting the open market.

But beyond: “I’m letting my manager handle it”, the boys aren’t talking much at all.

Brooks does explain why though, pointing to the constant spotlight last year on his future, as well as the Robbie Farah saga — rugby league’s own never-ending story.

“As a team we’ve decided that we don’t want contract stuff to be played out in the media out of respect to the fans and everyone,” Brooks said.

“We just want to keep that between the club and ourselves this season.

“It was big last year, a bit of a distraction, and that was part of (the decision). But that speculation happens everywhere though, it is just how the game and the NRL goes.

“So as a whole we’ve all agreed to keep it behind closed doors and just to keep it between our club and management to work out. That’s why we have them.”

Jason Taylor made the point clear at the club’s requisite open media day on Monday. You can ask the question, just don’t expect much of an answer.

When Brooks and Moses last year took up 2017 options to stay at Concord after lengthy delays, only for the questions to inevitably turn to their next deals, Taylor made his frustrations clear.

Understandable too given the 12 months of focus on Farah’s protracted exit from the joint, which came with a $750,000 price tag that now has the Tigers’ salary cap in all sorts.

Toss in a Tim Simona fire sale to alleviate apparent cap woes, a similar push to move Kyle Lovett on and the reported $1.3 million, three-year deal for uncapped teen Moses Suli, and the Tigers’ ‘no talkies’ edict only gains momentum.

Woods, who will command a salary in excess of $800,000 as a potential NSW Origin skipper and Kangaroos regular, told foxsports.com.au recently he is still yet to broach any serious contract discussions with his manager Isaac Moses.

Moses recently added Tedesco — who will command close to $1 million a year — to his stable, completing his monopoly on the Tigers foursome having looked after Brooks and cousin Mitchell Moses since their junior days.

Three weeks ago Tedesco broke ranks to shoot down suggestions he was all but signed, sealed and delivered to the Roosters.

“I haven’t spoken to them at all,” Tedesco said of the Chooks.

“No offers, no nothing that I know of. It was all in the media.”

Five-eighth Moses did the same on Monday, denying reports he had signed a deal with the Tricolours last year before backing out of it during the NRL’s 10-day cooling off period.

Otherwise the quartet have been diplomatic on the subject.

“I’m a local junior and I’d love to stay,” offers Tedesco.

“It’s a business these days, players get pushed out and things happen,” Moses echoes in another chat, finishing the same thought that started on a similar train.

For now the Tigers are all on board. But in a game obsessed with the ducks, drakes and drama of playing contracts, the rest of us will keep shouting after them.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/tigers/nrl-2017-wests-tigers-stars-impose-a-nocontract-talk-pact-in-32-million-retention-battle/news-story/6804c79d853dcbf48f81a07596e3e552

Every single club has a heap of talented players off contract, yet the keep carrying on with this circus as if we're the only club trying to re-sign it's stars.

Screw it, why don't we just sign Thurston and shut them all up!

It is funny how obsessed the media are with our club, considering what failures we generally are.
We would have to be the most overhyped club in the comp when we win more than 2 games on the trot and the absolute dregs of the earth the rest of the time as far as the media goes.

I think this might be the last season at the tigers for all of the big 4\. None of JT, Rankin, Lovett & Naiqama will be at the club next year.

@Fade To Black said:
It is funny how obsessed the media are with our club, considering what failures we generally are.
We would have to be the most overhyped club in the comp when we win more than 2 games on the trot and the absolute dregs of the earth the rest of the time as far as the media goes.

I don't get it as well, FTB. Most clubs are holding off to see what the new cap will be. Obviously we are too. I don't know if i am constantly jumping at shadows because I tune in more the WTs articles… its seems relentless.

could policy Brooks to not talk about it. it just feeds the media.

@Cultured Bogan said:
@Sabre said:
@Balmain Boy said:

"Every club has half their squad off contract, and the Tigers do too and they're a basketcase for letting this happen"

"The Tigers have re-signed a promising junior and senior players are upset by this"

How this person gets a job in the media is beyond me. Anyone who believes anything he says is a gullible moron.

And in fairness to Te'o, this all started because Weidler wrote that Te'o had assaulted a woman. The charge was later dropped. I don't blame Te'o for not wanting to answer his questions. Kinda funny to watch Weidler squirm.

Weidler and Te'o are both scum. You would want a double- barrelled shotgun so you wouldn't have to waste time choosing who to dispatch first. Vermin duo.

@Tigerdon said:
@Fade To Black said:

I don't get it as well, FTB. Most clubs are holding off to see what the new cap will be. Obviously we are too. I don't know if i am constantly jumping at shadows because I tune in more the WTs articles… its seems relentless.

could policy Brooks to not talk about it. it just feeds the media.

I think ours are easy targets - young fellows, fairly high profile, easy media access. You''ll notice that Woods hardly ever comes up, he's a bit more seasoned in these types of talks.

There are some clubs that have several puzzles that have already started to fall into place, e.g. Broncos losing Hunt to Saints.

@Harvey said:
I think this might be the last season at the tigers for all of the big 4\. None of JT, Rankin, Lovett & Naiqama will be at the club next year.

That would be a great day if that happened, I mean I like Kev but he makes some clangers in defence, as for the other 3, they should just retire and let the club move forward. :pray:

Tedesco and Moses are the priority in my opinion. If either of those guys leave, I'll be bitterly disappointed.

Ideally Woods and Brooks will stay too, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost either of them (or even both).

@Harvey said:

I will pray to all the gods from the begining of time in every religion that all 4 will be gone for 2018\. :pray:

@Sabre said:
@Cultured Bogan said:
@Sabre said:
@Balmain Boy said:

And in fairness to Te'o, this all started because Weidler wrote that Te'o had assaulted a woman. The charge was later dropped. I don't blame Te'o for not wanting to answer his questions. Kinda funny to watch Weidler squirm.

Haha. No one like you around here. Looked like he wanted to crack him. Teo such a good player. A weapon. What's his contract situation.

Mitch Moses from the above article: “It’s a business these days, players get pushed out and things happen,” Moses echoes in another chat, finishing the same thought that started on a similar train.
–----------------------------------
I suppose this approach by clubs will result in top players squeezing as much as possible every year not knowing where they will be next year.

@Boonboon2 said:
What confuses me about this whole Big 4 talk is that people seem to forget if we don't sign any one of them we will have the large amount of cash they were being offered to splash around either on another individual player or on upgrading our squad across the board which is something we could afford to do given we have almost our whole squad off contract.

Perhaps our approach is to only attempt to genuinely sign 3 of them and let one go meaning we can upgrade in other positions. Especially when you remember the cap is going up significantly and also we have 700k coming off our cap prob a mill really if you look at the money we are paying for Farah and Sironen this year.

Who was the last big name sought after player we have ever signed? We are a club that battles with no finance, bad training facilities, poor coaching as we go cheap, no third party deals. We have to keep our own it's the only way. Supplement with senior players or players looking for an opportunity. Aside from the rumoured Simona farce and JAC we were on the right track.
Aloai and ET were good moves and hopefully Idris pays off. Issue is we field too many plodders Lovett, Rankin, Ballin, Edwards etc and they get targeted.

@Byron Bay Fan said:
Mitch Moses from the above article: “It’s a business these days, players get pushed out and things happen,” Moses echoes in another chat, finishing the same thought that started on a similar train.
–----------------------------------
I suppose this approach by clubs will result in top players squeezing as much as possible every year not knowing where they will be next year.

Unfortunately that is "full time professionalism" at its worst.Players and coaches come and go chasing the dollar and clubs treat them like sides of beef.It is us the supporters who are always there and always will be that know what loyalty to a club is.

1 - Moses
2 - Teddy
3 - Woods
4 - Nofo
\
\
25 - Brooks

Fill in the other numbers

That's how I roll

@Donald Trump said:
1 - Moses
2 - Teddy
3 - Woods
4 - Nofo
\
\
25 - Brooks

Fill in the other numbers

That's how I roll

Maybe I can see where you are coming from. Teddy is fantastic in attack but Moses position is much more important. So there is more importance on Moses to get it right, of course also depending on general strength of team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back