THE AMBUSH - Show Your Stripes..

If we can capably address our larger issues - selecting the right coach, having a settled spine and adding a couple of competitive/experienced players, then there's nothing to say it can't be realistic to have a more competitive team by 2025.

People don't like to hear it but keeping Madge as coach was a compounding factor to the team's rebuild. Though not entirely his fault, the simple truth is that everyone (players included) only saw a team go backwards during his tenure and thanks to the doco, players probably also doubted his ability to motivate the team too.

Last edited:
I’m interested to hear what Sheens finds so encouraging about our future.
If you were being serious our top 30 is very weak, containing a small percentage of consistent first graders. Of those, about half aren’t putting in like they were 6 weeks ago. Our reserve grade side is dreadful with a points differential of negative 245 from 15 games!
We have no forward leaders who can bring generation next through and no on field general to marshal the troops and win games when the opportunities arise. Our name is mud in the marketplace and no one wants to coach us….Yay…
and the problem is?

Look at his performance since coming here as well. He has signed no one (Api and IP were signed via Madge & whoever else), he sacked the coach when there are so few options available and he let one of our best players go who was also a forward who could dent the line when our pack gets rolled every week. He was also the main culprit putting out the stupid messaging around Ciraldo. Then he tells us it's a 3 year rebuild.

Then you take into consideration how poor he was at times when he was here and it's not a pretty picture.

I have no confidence in Sheens but I desperately want to be wrong.

If Tim really believes its a 3 year rebuild then he is being unrealistic,i will be surprised if it is less than 5 more likely 7 years before we can hope to challenge for a title (top 4 position) and that is if things change for the better with acquisitions on the coaching/players situation in the near future.
I hope i am wrong

If Tim really believes its a 3 year rebuild then he is being unrealistic,i will be surprised if it is less than 5 more likely 7 years before we can hope to challenge for a title (top 4 position) and that is if things change for the better with acquisitions on the coaching/players situation in the near future.
I hope i am wrong

I don't believe it will take that long unless it's relying completely on juniors. Our cap should be in a good position.

The problem is not blowing the cap. We just need to add a couple of quality players to the team each year and then you can start competing for the finals. That to me is a realistic aim and it could happen next year if we can jag a couple more players.

We were a bottom 4 squad at the start of this year. We need to be pushing for that 9th spot or higher and go from there.

What frustrates me is losing players like Matterson, Aloiai and Luc. These guys are all first graders.

People don't like to hear it but keeping Madge as coach was a compounding factor to the team's rebuild.

I disagree. I don't think Madge was the issue at all. I think Sheens is really out of touch. His idea that the coach comes and makes the big strategic decisions to me is wrong. Cleary is a classic example. If people are stating Madge build this roster than that is another classic exanple but I disagree on that point. There should be a recruitment committee. We should also have had a coach ready to take over who was in our system. Kimmorley comes across as a hail mary play.

My take is that the systems should be in place so that when players or coaches leave there are quality replacements available from within the organization.

We have depth in our halves. If we lose a 6 or a 7 we are fine. They need that in other positions as well.

If we get a better coach than Madge that is a step in the right direction but it won't fix the fact that we do not have a forward pack that can compete. They have to fix that.

It's also about smart recruitment. I rate Twal and I think Seyfarth has an upside although he is proving me wrong this season. The problem is they are both worker props. Tamou is also similar. The club needs to look at getting props who have an impact even it if is only for 20 minutes a game.

I disagree. I don't think Madge was the issue at all. I think Sheens is really out of touch. His idea that the coach comes and makes the big strategic decisions to me is wrong. Cleary is a classic example. If people are stating Madge build this roster than that is another classic exanple but I disagree on that point. There should be a recruitment committee. We should also have had a coach ready to take over who was in our system. Kimmorley comes across as a hail mary play.

My take is that the systems should be in place so that when players or coaches leave there are quality replacements available from within the organization.

We have depth in our halves. If we lose a 6 or a 7 we are fine. They need that in other positions as well.

If we get a better coach than Madge that is a step in the right direction but it won't fix the fact that we do not have a forward pack that can compete. They have to fix that.

It's also about smart recruitment. I rate Twal and I think Seyfarth has an upside although he is proving me wrong this season. The problem is they are both worker props. Tamou is also similar. The club needs to look at getting props who have an impact even it if is only for 20 minutes a game.
Never actually said that Madge was the issue but that the team has gone backwards under his coaching and it contributes poorly to how we look as a club.

I hope i am wrong
How could it take that long? We have Cap Space for 2023(have stuffed that up by not having a Coach yet) and heaps for 2024. If these idiots can't sign quality players when they do have Cap Space, just kick us out. If they can't do it this year or next they're incapable of ever doing it.

Never actually said that Madge was the issue but that the team has gone backwards under his coaching and it contributes poorly to how we look as a club.

I agree with this but it was pretty obvious at the start of the year we had a bottom 4 roster and then we had a really bad run of injuries.

I have concerns with Madge but he had his upside in that he didn't stuff our cap and he was out there trying to recruit and actually delivering better than we've had in the past.

Now as was just stated we can't even recruit with cap space.

We can get past this but it just seems stupid. At the very least they should be recruiting because dollars matter more than anything else.

We’ll still be in the same position in 2 or 3 years with the new coach.

I agree with this but it was pretty obvious at the start of the year we had a bottom 4 roster and then we had a really bad run of injuries.

I have concerns with Madge but he had his upside in that he didn't stuff our cap and he was out there trying to recruit and actually delivering better than we've had in the past.

Now as was just stated we can't even recruit with cap space.

We can get past this but it just seems stupid. At the very least they should be recruiting because dollars matter more than anything else.
Thankyou Earl and I'll I'm saying is that we look like we're going nowhere because of the team's progress.
Believe you're absolutely right with your earlier post. That our main problem ghas been releasing our best talent whilst retaining the lower performing players.

Can you enlighten me about the happiness, I must have nodded off and missed it
Ok are you listening.
WAKE UP
Sheens to most, GODFATHER for me and others.
In 2005 he delivered us the ultimate. He’s been there.
There is no one else that knows us like he does.
You have no alternative but bag him.
wake up to yourself and go to parra if you don’t get it.
The GODFATHER is back suck it up

No use having them here if they don't want to be here though. All 3 of them basically dogged it on the club in the end.

Luc didn't dog us. He went for more money but he would have stayed and given his best at least this year. You'd like to think we could have kept him.

The other two are dogs but if we kept all 3 we'd be a much much better team. Aloiai and Matterson in the middle would be huge for us.

Luc didn't dog us. He went for more money but he would have stayed and given his best at least this year. You'd like to think we could have kept him.

The other two are dogs but if we kept all 3 we'd be a much much better team. Aloiai and Matterson in the middle would be huge for us.
Luc played like he was tanking in his final 2 games.
Don't know how much of a better team we'd be with them all playing for us if they didn't want to be here. If they were keen and committed sure: half arsed players are just a liability on and off the field.

Ok are you listening.
WAKE UP
Sheens to most, GODFATHER for me and others.
In 2005 he delivered us the ultimate. He’s been there.
There is no one else that knows us like he does.
You have no alternative but bag him.
wake up to yourself and go to parra if you don’t get it.
The GODFATHER is back suck it up
Everyone has a hero mate...unfortunately people learn that you cant live in the past...
Sheens WAS good at times,but I remember he was sacked,took us to court,went elsewhere got sacked and hasnt coached in NRL for ten years....he may be the Godfather to you,he is just another aged coach that had his time with us...the one premiership he won for us doesnt cut it any more,times change,the game changes and coaching skills change...didnt you learn from the Madge saga,a 2 time premiership winner that apparently the game had passed him by and now your resting your hopes on Rip Van Winkle...
If you get offended by my opinion then SUCK IT UP.....

Back