The Shepherd

The rule itself isn't my concern.

It's the CONSISTENCY of how it's enforced. That is was pisses me off the most with decisions like that.

Farah did the wrong thing, however this kind of play is overlooked FOREVER AND A DAY and happens easily 15-20 times a game, and is never ever pulled up.

The consistency of the referees has been flat out the worst I've seen it in years. Each of the close games this round have been decided on bad decisions.

@MacDougall said:
Not as bad as the fact they called the last on the 4th tackle in the second last set of six.

i was going off at that.. dad told me to calm down. lawrence knew it wasnt last tackle but the idiot said 5th and last.

Might want to also check the goal line drop out, Blake Austin did in the 2nd half. he clearly was in front of the tryline when he kicked it.

Regardless of theses dodgy decisions which went against wests-tigers, with a lead of 22 -0, we shouldn't being looking to the officials to use as a scape goat.

wests-tigers had the lead.
wests-tigers could not sustain the lead.

@gallagher said:
You can't run behind you're own player.the obstruction rule is a different rule

All part of the same rule mate - Obstruction. The only reference to running behind your own player is in the Referees Guidelines not the rulebook. Even in the Referees Guidelines it is a requirement that an advantage be gained.

if it was simply a matter of running behind your own player, as the rule used to be, there would be about 45 obstruction penalties each game.

@southerntiger said:
@gallagher said:
You can't run behind you're own player.the obstruction rule is a different rule

All part of the same rule mate - Obstruction. The only reference to running behind your own player is in the Referees Guidelines not the rulebook. Even in the Referees Guidelines it is a requirement that an advantage be gained.

if it was simply a matter of running behind your own player, as the rule used to be, there would be about 45 obstruction penalties each game.

Do you remember the Justin hodges try in origin a couple of years ago? No one was obstructed but the refs boss came out and said it should not have been a try. You just can't do it.

I remember Harrigan said it was fine. So does the internet

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/rugby-league-referees-bos-bill-harrigan-says-justin-hodges-try-was-right-to-be-awarded-by-steve-clark/story-fn31yxah-1226418264937

@MacDougall said:
Not as bad as the fact they called the last on the 4th tackle in the second last set of six.

Was that when Moses passed to Lawrence? Everyone around me were all perplexed

Rub of the green was TOTALLY against us today hugely
However good teams don't loose after leading 22-0 at home
Therefore, at the moment, we are not a good team.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

@southerntiger said:
I remember Harrigan said it was fine. So does the internet

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/rugby-league-referees-bos-bill-harrigan-says-justin-hodges-try-was-right-to-be-awarded-by-steve-clark/story-fn31yxah-1226418264937

I remember wrong then Neither was a try in my opinion. Harigan also thought Bruce mcguire shepherded a raisers player in 89\. Good judge.

It wasn't an obstruction, it was shepherd so correct call - as has been said before, the issue is the consistency. 2 hrs before in the NYC it was fine when Brenko Lee ran behind two players and straight into a hole, but this isn't ok?

Inconsistancy is a problem but why bring that up when they make a correct call?

@saundo1982 said:
The ridiculous part of this decision is that I bet the referee wouldn't have had the balls to blow a penalty if brooks was tackled even 1cm short of the line it would have been 6 again zero tackle.

Do away with the video red bring in the captain challenge make the referee make the call live on the run if either captain thinks the call made is wrong challenge it.

Exactly. If it's a penalty, then blow the whistle and call it. He let Robbie play on, there was plenty of time to pull that up before Brooks scores.

@whippet75 said:
@saundo1982 said:
The ridiculous part of this decision is that I bet the referee wouldn't have had the balls to blow a penalty if brooks was tackled even 1cm short of the line it would have been 6 again zero tackle.

Do away with the video red bring in the captain challenge make the referee make the call live on the run if either captain thinks the call made is wrong challenge it.

Exactly. If it's a penalty, then blow the whistle and call it. He let Robbie play on, there was plenty of time to pull that up before Brooks scores.

So was it a try in your opinion?

@gallagher said:
@whippet75 said:
@saundo1982 said:

Yep,

Just went through the rule book and cannot find any reference to a Shepard in it. The closest is referenced as obstruction, but this has an explanation of:

Obstruction: is the illegal act of impeding an opponent who does not have the ball.

I don't believe any players were illegally impeded from
A: making a tackle on Farah
B: taking control of the ball that was kicked
C: stopping Brooks from scoring.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-2149-0-0-0&sID=127124&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=33570777

This link should take you to a page scroll to the bottom and select the option ARL RULES BOOK 2015\. As I said I cannot find a reference to a Shepard only obstruction.

Happy to corrected if someone can find it in there.

Steve Gee, WWOS
16:05 AEST Sun Apr 19 2015

Wests Tigers were denied what would have been a match-winning try after the referees controversially ruled an obstruction play before Luke Brooks pounced on a Robbie Farah grubber kick in the final minutes of their clash with Canberra. With Canberra clinging to a 24-22 lead, Farah crabbed across field close to the Raiders line before putting in a grubber kick in the 76th minute. The kick was fumbled on the line by Raiders fullback Jack Wighton with Brooks pouncing on the Steeden to score. But referee Henry Perenara ruled no try and sent the decision for review from video referee Matt Cecchin, who took one look at the replay before agreeing with the onfield whistblower.

The decision was based on the fact Farah ran behind Tigers decoy runner Keith Galloway before putting in the kick. However, Galloway ran through the defensive line and did not impede any Canberra defenders.

Fox sports commentators Andrew Voss and Braith Anasta were stunned by the decision, with both feeling the try should have been awarded. "Hang on a second. Am I looking at a different replay?" asked Voss, before Anasta chimed in: "He's taken no one out." Analysing the decision, Anasta added: "That's the old fashioned shepherd. They've gone back to the old school…(where) as soon as you run behind one of your teammates it's a penalty, but time and time again you see this let go."

To make matters worse for the Tigers, the Raiders then responded with winger Jordan Rapana crashing over for a converted try in the 79th minute to give them a 30-22 win

@saundo1982 said:
@gallagher said:
@whippet75 said:
@saundo1982 said:

Yep,

Just went through the rule book and cannot find any reference to a Shepard in it. The closest is referenced as obstruction, but this has an explanation of:

Obstruction: is the illegal act of impeding an opponent who does not have the ball.

I don't believe any players were illegally impeded from
A: making a tackle on Farah
B: taking control of the ball that was kicked
C: stopping Brooks from scoring.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=0-2149-0-0-0&sID=127124&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=33570777

This link should take you to a page scroll to the bottom and select the option ARL RULES BOOK 2015\. As I said I cannot find a reference to a Shepard only obstruction.

Happy to corrected if someone can find it in there.

And before you jump up and down saying the link is for mini or mod footy click the link and the first page has NRL interpretations of the game so relates to international and NRL premiership games.

Have watched it for the 15th time now….Galloway was in the Raiders in goal line did not even touch a Raiders defended...no one was impeded in attempting to tackle Farah....Farah gained no advantage at all....

The call was incorrect...

The funniest thing is if Ole Henry said TRY ....the monkey's in the box would have said TRY.....

The rulebook says you can't run behind a team mate to gain an advantage, what an "advantage" involves is probably a grey area. No one was taken out but we did score a try off it, so who knows…the obstruction rule has always been unclear.

Back