The Teams to beat in 2018

Tigerdon

There has been a lot player turn over in the off season. Early season results have been hard to predict.

Who are the teams to beat this year?
No game will be easy for us. I’m looking for peoples opinions on the hardest team for us to beat.

If we look at the first 5 rounds the warriors and dragons will be the hardest teams for us. The way we are defending we seem to be handling the structured teams pretty easily. Dragons and Warriors are scoring alot of points and throwing the ball around. I think they will give us some trouble on the edges.

Dragons are the strongest team in the comp without question. Basically have no weaknesses. Best pack and best halves combo and their backline are all guns except for that awkward thing who is still solid.

The team to beat in 2018 is the team we are playing next. Plain and simple - one game at a time. We have shown that if we turn up with the right attitude we can win any game. Our line speed in defence will worry structured and unstructured attacks.

@ said:
The team to beat in 2018 is the team we are playing next. Plain and simple - one game at a time. We have shown that if we turn up with the right attitude we can win any game. Our line speed in defence will worry structured and unstructured attacks.

Spot on Tiger Steve. If we stay healthy we are a good chance each week. But gee it's good that we don't have to play Melbourne again in the regular season. The poor old Knights are suffering as a result of our unsettling Bellyache. Manly is the hardest team to beat cos they are next up!

Should have made this thread about which teams are an easy 2 points this season.

No1= Bulldogs

Beat the bulldogs and we get the trifecta on the 3 divas and I’m content.

@ said:
@ said:

Spot on Tiger Steve. If we stay healthy we are a good chance each week. But gee it's good that we don't have to play Melbourne again in the regular season. The poor old Knights are suffering as a result of our unsettling Bellyache. Manly is the hardest team to beat cos they are next up!

so far so good.
really like the defence this year. will be a big test, with Russel packer and Elijah Taylor out of the team

Manly are a better side than I thought they would be this year but so are we. Titians also.

I don't think the Saints were that much of a surprise. Even at the back end of last year when they came off the boil, they still had the makes of one of the best forward packs in the comp. I didn't anticipate Widdop and Hunt combining so well. Very solid team but beatable.
I was hoping Penrith had more infighting than they have had. On their day they (like Manly) can really click or go bust. A bit like the Tigers of old.
Brisbane, Melb and the Cows all look rusty in the early rounds.
Could not have hoped for a better start to the season from The Roosters, Bulldogs and Parra. If this continues I will have a certain glow about him that makes me look younger and smarter. Long may the decline continue.

The thing that really pleases me is that Easts, Canterbury and Parra all paid big money for our 3 amigos to strengthen their respective teams and their form is terrible. I know it won’t last but they all must be thinking ‘what have I done?’.

Woods would be the most dejected (and it shows) as he left telling everyone he wanted to go to a stable club.

I know that these three clubs won’t be down for long but it is satisfying right now.

As for the topic, I think Saints will kick on, Penrith look good, the Storm will be thereabouts again and Souths look good also. The big question is who will be wooden spooners? Parra and Bulldogs looking good so far.

I totally agree, but after watching Ivan's press conferences; I must say I feel confident that he can keep a lid on the boys and get them up for each game. The depth is certainly there and with our reaming salary cap, a few surprises may come our way before June 30th.
Watched the Dragons touch up the sharkies last night and I was very impressed how early they moved the ball out to their backs. The speed and size of Duffty must make Thompson take notice, because there is nothing he did last night that Thompson cannot do.
It is very early in the season, but I think the eels and the dogs are gone. Storm, Cowboys & the Rosters will find form and be there at the end of the year. The rest, as usual will fall into the drama that is the NRL season, just hope we are lucky enough to be there.
I will purchase a couple of GF tickets, you never know. I know I will not be able to buy them from disappoint eels fans this time, like I did in 05.

@ said:
Funny how WT year tends to be close to hw dragons go.

Yeah ya right …..Whenever they make the eight we are inevitability there as well. Tomorrow is a vital game as to whether we stick with the dragoons. As the Titans could account for the pamfers.
First 20 against the Eagles will say alot on how we are going I reckon. They will look to be expansive against us, hopefully with Packer out someone else stands tall to lead our pack around.

Sharks got fleeced by that Maloney for Moylan trade. Sharks are no where near the same team with 4 full backs. Cows are on the slide too.

I’m thinking the ladder might look something like

1\. Dragons
2\. Warriors
3\. Tigers
4\. Storm
5\. Panthers
6\. Roosters
7\. Souths
8\. Knights
9\. Sharks
10\. Titans
11\. Canberra
12\. Cowboys
13\. Manly
14\. Broncos
15\. Bulldogs
16\. Parra

Dragons only weakness is their predictability. They dont have the pure attacking flair to break open the close games. They are a very structured team and hit the same plays in the same place on the field until it works.

Penrith deserve a mention in this thread. Might be the X factor team of 18

@ said:
The hardest team for us to beat is ourselves…

Exactly the opposite my old chum

If we get head of ourselves the easiest team for us to beat is ourselves …...

Back