The Winger

bigsiro

Often on this forum (and in discussions with other footy fans) people discard the value of a winger and refuse to justify high price-tags placed on the speedsters. I just don't get it.

Years ago, wingers used to camp out on the sidelines (like they still do in Rugby) but these days League wingers are looked at differently. Wingers these days are expected to do the dirty work and take many of the early hitups. They are meant to help get their team on the front foot at the beginning of a set. They are also expected to do spectacular feats in scoring tries, should be able to finish sweeping moves with speed to burn and in defence they are expected to take all the pressure from bombs and are often a last line in cover.
Often, if a winger fails in any of these elements he is seen as a liability - unless of course he is so fast/evasive/strong in attack that some defensive frailties can be overlooked.

Tough, fast, tenacious wingers who are proficient in all areas are **hugely** underrated. Without doubt, these "overlooked" players are a main point of difference to any team.

Fans just don't give enough credit to the winger. But we cannot ignore the importance of a strong winger and must realise that **the good one's are worth good money**.
Lote, Tuiaki, Richards - not the greatest wingers ever, but their positives outweighed their faults - what we would give for them now.

A real quality winger would be worth his weight in gold. If he can kick goals then throw the chequebook at him.

So, when I hear about us going for established wingers like Holmes or Mansour I get really excited. Sure they have their weaknesses (and take nothing away from Nofa and to a lesser extent MWZ) but I'd love to see us go for proper quality on the wing.
Everyone is entitled to their option, but I wish the masses wouldn't play down the significance and importance of quality in that position.

Good post. Their attacking duties are significant but perhaps their defensive isn’t and that’s why they’re rated the way they are?

Q. Why do wingers score a lot of TRIES..?

A. Cause they are marked by Wingers…

I agree tho it has become a much more crucial position in Modern Rugby League..some of the finishing is out of this world...

Nofoaluma saved a crucial one putting Winterstein into touch in goal...

This is a great post. I don't get why wingers arent considered more valuable financially. It's the wingers that get bums off seats during a game. They're often the game breakers and just as often or even more so, get the team going forward from the back taking the load off the big blokes. As the interchange numbers decrease, they'll become even more important.

JAC is the best winger imo.
Fast and good aerobically.

Mansour and Radrara are up there too cos of their strength and power.

I think Cleary recognises this. His game plan is built on yardage from outside backs on early carries, especially early in the game when it’s a battle for field position. What you would give for a fit, young tuiaki….I see fonua as being crucial to how far we go this season....if nofo steps up we will be difficult opponents.

Defence in the modern game is a big priority and wingers aren't that important defensively

Most current wingers are built like quick back rowers who don't have big engines , they are needed early in sets to set up the yardage game and lessen the load of the forwards and plodders

Yes they are important with defusing an oppositions kicking game , but wingers are useless if they don't have quality inside them

@ said:
Defence in the modern game is a big priority and **wingers aren't that important defensively**

Most current wingers are built like quick back rowers who don't have big engines , they are needed early in sets to set up the yardage game and lessen the load of the forwards and plodders

Yes they are important with defusing an oppositions kicking game , but wingers are useless if they don't have quality inside them

:eek:pen_mouth:

I guess that's why so many TRIES are scored on the wing..

DROP all the wingers… :laughing:

@ said:
@ said:
Defence in the modern game is a big priority and **wingers aren't that important defensively**

Well 9/10 the problem has occurred inside them , something they can't control

Very rare that you see wingers 1 on 1 in the modern game , especially with slide defence

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Well 9/10 the problem has occurred inside them , something they can't control

Very rare that you see wingers 1 on 1 in the modern game , especially with slide defence

Agreed. You don’t buy wingers for their defensive capabilities. Thx scoop.

@ said:
JAC is the best winger imo.
Fast and good aerobically.

Mansour and Radrara are up there too cos of their strength and power.

Yeah JAC or Vunivalu (with Semi not in the game currently )

Look at Parramatta. Semi would of won them 3-4 games by himself last year. I agree but also I would not pay big money for them either.

@ said:
Look at Parramatta. Semi would of won them 3-4 games by himself last year. I agree but also I would not pay big money for them either.

At least it’s the main difference between this year and last year..,.difference may be wooden spoon vs top 4.

@ said:

Why not?

Would be great to have a speedy winger in our pack. Someone like Josh Addo Lamborghini will do 100%.

Back