Thurston to get suspended

Definitely dodged a bullet there Thurston. A little surprised he was only charged with a grade one. Felt it a more serious offence than the minimal charge since replays showed he swung the boot in and late. Hopefully he gets his punishment on sunday.

A large part wants me to see him rubbed out for Sunday as we need all the help we can get but a small part will be disappointed if he is as I was looking forward to spending 90 minutes abusing him..

oh well

@westTAHger said:
Thurston not being suspended, will give the game on sunday that extra bit of venom. :stuck_out_tongue:
can't wait to listen to the nice reception he will get during the warm up and the game. :laughing:

Yee-ha! The only positive to come from this situation is that he becomes even more of the villain on Sunday

THURSTON: LEICHHARDT'S PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE

At least he was charged with something. I would have hated to see him get off scott free.

Those carry-over points will come back to bite him at some stage. It just won't benefit us, that's all…

@IronTiger said:
A large part wants me to see him rubbed out for Sunday as we need all the help we can get but a small part will be disappointed if he is as I was looking forward to spending 90 minutes abusing him..

oh well

My thoughts are the same. Can't wait to give it to the grub on Sunday.

I must be in the minority that didn't want him to play against us. Screw the "We'll beat them anyway" bravado. I don't care if we beat St Mary's Townsville U12 team as long as we register a win. I know the season is over for us anyway but it is our right as tigers supporters to be teased with the fractional possibility that we may still snag the 8th spot. If we lose this weekend, we lose that right. You know you want it.

As much as I hate Manly and as much as I think Williams was as useful in origin as a turd in a wetsuit, it is likely he'll miss weeks if his cheekbone is broken and Thurston gets to play on. Just not fair really.

The minute it happened I thought - "Great, he won't be playing us this weekend" - freakin' tigers never catch a break…..

@pearce_off said:
The minute it happened I thought - "Great, he won't be playing us this weekend" - freakin' tigers never catch a break…..

Well they did lose O'Donnell and Payne to injury last week and Tonga is in extreme doubt so fair go mate lol.

@Zaibatsu said:
@pearce_off said:

Well they did lose O'Donnell and Payne to injury last week and Tonga is in extreme doubt so fair go mate lol.

Nah, screw that - We need nothing but freakish luck for the remainder of the season to *just* miss the finals as we are destined. Bring on St Mary's Townsville U12 I say - we'd have to be a 50:50 chance of beating them.

wow, i cant believe anyone would or could condone thurstons actions with a clear conscience. still, we are all entitled to our opinions - as wrong as they are if they dont agree with mine that is… :laughing:
im not saying he intentionally kicked williams in the face, but as so many others here have said, whether or not he meant it is irrelevant and he should have been punished and punished harshly in my opinion.
i dont think he is the brightest star in the sky, and it was his instinct to kick, but that is no excuse.
thurston has always been a dirty player and it really annoys me he is able to take a plea and get off just because of some stupid points system. to me that is akin to having a clean driving licence and getting off with going 100kph in a school zone because you have never been caught before.
i hope he finds himself at the wrong end of the Elmo express on sunday (fairly)...

ps: i did think the north korea line was funny though... ill give you that!

Poor call by the match review committee.I wonder if they will ever show consistancy.I seriously doubt it.

A few weeks?? You have to be kidding…

Wait.. Cowboys play the Tigers this week right? Spose that has nothing to do with it... :confused: :wink:

Shouldn't have even been put on report imo.

Are you serious?

**Read.**

<big>**HE LED WITH THE FOOT IN A TACKLE.**</big> It's an illegal method of attemtping a tackle!

They are cracking down on it. A few players have already been suspended this year, and they didn't make contact with the other players' head.

Don't you get what Zaib does by now? He tries to get an us vs them situation where we are being biasd supporters and he's being the reality-based supporter

Doesn't matter if, as Voss said, Thurston went up and decked him after that try, Zaib would still be saying it's cause we don't want him playing this weekend

Reality check for you Zaib, a kick in the face is a kick in the face, we wouldn't be calling for him to be suspended for several weeks if we only wanted him gone this week would we?

What a joke

@Zaibatsu said:
Just calling it how I see it, there was nothing in it imo, its a stupid rule to begin with, you should be able to do anything within your power to prevent a try - as long as you are playing at the ball and not the man.

![](http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/07/16/1225750/695088-johnathan-thurston.jpg)

Again, where's the ball Zaib?

it sends out wrong message to juniors who play the game and try to imitate the blokes in NRL.
:exclamation: :question: if the players in NRL are ' supposedly role models' is it any wonder, younger kids are playing other sports. :imp:

@ThrillMeTiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:
Just calling it how I see it, there was nothing in it imo, its a stupid rule to begin with, you should be able to do anything within your power to prevent a try - as long as you are playing at the ball and not the man.

![](http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/07/16/1225750/695088-johnathan-thurston.jpg)

The ball was moving towards his torso as that photo was taken, his foot was also not travelling directly at Williams' head but more on a diagonal angle towards his shoulder, grazing his head.

I bet you always got fooled by the optical illusion puzzles as a kid huh?

@Zaibatsu said:
@ThrillMeTiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:

The ball was moving towards his torso as that photo was taken, his foot was also not travelling directly at Williams' head but more on a diagonal angle towards his shoulder, grazing his head.

A for effort Z…he kicked him in the head....he got off.....I'm glad.... will make the victory even more sweeter come Sunday....

@Zaibatsu said:
@ThrillMeTiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:

Yeah, explains why he got up with a busted cheek bone ay?

But hey that's all optical illusions too isn't it mate?

@jasetiger said:
If Barrett only got 2 weeks for that cheap shot on Inglis , then this might get brushed of with a warning only….

I thought Barret was unlucky. In hind-sight that tackle was the catalyst for the approach NSW took last night. It was about time someone from NSW showed the glamour boy prima doners what Origin is all about, instead of sitting back in awe and letting Inglis etc. play touch football.

Re the Barrett tackle: people forget Inglis was falling and Barrett slipped off the shoulder. If Inglis didn't have such a glass jaw, we wouldn't be talking about it.

So with that in mind - it certainly was no kick to the head and Thurston should have at least got a game.

Lucky NSW didn't take things as personally as Queensland or it all could have erupted a lot earlier.

@Zaibatsu said:
@ThrillMeTiger said:
@Zaibatsu said:

You're kidding aren't you? It doesn't even matter if he did think the ball was there - you can't kick the ball out of someone's hands and you aren't able to do whatever you want to stop a try.

It's a dangerous thing to do to a defenceless person and it looks like Williams has a fractured cheekbone out of it.

This thing needs to be taken out of the game and the only way to do it is suspensions.

haha Williams has a fractured cheek and Thurston gets off…. that gold.

Williams almost deserved it considering how badly he played.
B Ryan would have defended better!

what a joke williams kept his spot anyway whilst Robbie was dumped for his errors.

Back