Rugby League Week
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Go mobile
>
Have your say in the 2010 RLW Fans' Poll
>
‘TANK’ STALLED
>
Is this the end for tearaway Tiger Tuiaki?
>
By Tony Adams
>
He's the reigning Dally M Winger of the Year, a Wests Tigers cult hero, and the scorer of 21 tries in 22 games in 2009.
>
But Taniela Tuiaki's NRL career may be over, with the Tigers baulking at re-signing him and rival clubs reluctant to take a punt on a bloke who hasn't played since round 24 last year.
>
That was the night the barnstorming Tiger's magical season came to a shuddering halt with a broken leg against Parramatta.
>
The 28-year-old is making slow progress in his recovery and is highly unlikely to play again this year.
>
"Normally we wouldn't hesitate in re-signing Taniela," Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell says.
>
"He has been a great player for us and all the boys love him.
>
"But the sad reality is he is not making much progress and the injury is proving very hard for him to overcome.
>
"He had a fantastic season last year before getting hurt and it would have been sensational to have him and Lote (Tuqiri) on the wings this season.
>
"But that hasn’t happened and Beau Ryan is now doing a great job for us so we will just have to wait and see if he improves before we make any decision."
>
The Tigers have sought opinion from several medical experts to get Tuiaki back on the paddock – all to no avail.
>
"We have left no stone unturned," coach Tim Sheens says. "And we live in hope that Taniela recovers – sometimes these things can heal all of a sudden.
>
"But right now the signs aren't good and we are very disappointed for the big fella."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/rlw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's just so sad for the big guy. I can understand us not resigning him, but you've gotta feel for him. Hope it all turns out well for him in the end.

A big Ugly Bloke who was loved and cheers by many…..Alot like Shrek really.

Lets hope he turns the corner and can make his way back onto the paddock...

Not good at all and this is the news that some of us were fearing. This season is obviously a writeoff for the big fella, but I hope the Tigers stick with him and see how he goes into the off-season leading up to Christmas. It's obviously a very slow healing process but give him another 4-5 months and see how his ankle is then before making a final decision.

I hope the unit gets better before next season, but even if the Tigers aren't willing to take the punt on him getting better, I hope another club snares him so he can still run amok.

What a shame. Sheens is right though, he's got the rest of his life to think about here. Sometimes life deals a harsh card, that's the reality. Hopefully things will work out between now and when they need to make the final call. I feel terrible for the guy. He was just about to turn his career into something else.

Awful news. Taniela was - and I hope will continue to be, for a few seasons yet - one of my favourite players to watch.

I know one of the reasons a lot of us were happy with Lote's signing was the prospect of having him on one side and Taniela on the other. I hope we still get to see that.

Im glad the club is not giving up on him and trying everything it can.

In the end we are a business and I hope there is a role that TNT can do in the back office if his career ends a few years early.

Let us all just hope that with some more time recovering things will come good.

I really feel for Tuiaki and will never forget the wonderful 2009 season he had. Watching Tuiaki charge down that side line was something I looked forward to every week.

I told youz all. Hate to say it. I was lambasted from pillar to post when I suggested he may never play again.

It will be a tragedy to lose him. Train your heart out big fella !!!!

@Spartan117 said:
Im glad the club is not giving up on him and trying everything it can.

In the end we are a business and I hope there is a role that TNT can do in the back office if his career ends a few years early.

Even on top of that Spartan. Give him an office gig now with rehab on the side. Sign him into one of the Second Tier spots and give him all the financial support possible to help with recovery with the promise of a contract if he recovers.

@Balmain Bug said:
I told youz all. Hate to say it. I was lambasted from pillar to post when I suggested he may never play again.

I know how you feel BB. Last September i wrote on here how Tuiaki would be lucky to get his jersey back off the Fitz, i was also laughed off the forum by the gullible ones who fell for the spin..

Damn, that's a massive shame if it turns out he has played his last game for us, actually it's a massive shame for NRL fans in general as there is no better sight in the game than Nella running at the try line full of steam. I truly hope he can overcome this for his and our sakes.

Surely a minimum price contract is in order even if he is doubtful?

@crouching_tiger said:
@Balmain Bug said:

I know how you feel BB. Last September i wrote on here how Tuiaki would be lucky to get his jersey back off the Fitz, i was also laughed off the forum by the gullible ones who fell for the spin..

Luckily for Tuiaki's pride he can say that injury cost him his spot in the team, not Fitzy.

This is tragic news. There's nothing like the sight of TNT charging down the touchline, bulldozing all in his way. Let's hope he can make a recovery.

Members online

Back