Webb out the door at Cowboys

G

Webb out the door at Cowboys

* By Peter Badel
* July 18, 2010 12:01AM

CARL Webb's career at North Queensland is effectively over, with the former Test enforcer given permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

As Cowboys coach Neil Henry embarks on a shake-up of the club, Webb has begun assessing his options.

He has eight weeks to prove he is not a spent force in the NRL, with the Cowboys yet to table an offer for the 108kg prop.

Webb's manager plans to meet with Cowboys boss Peter Parr, but the club's most experienced forward is next to no hope of staying in Townsville next season.

"We haven't made Carl an offer. His future is up in the air and it doesn't look like he will be there at this stage. He has our permission to look elsewhere," Cowboys football manager Dean Lance said.

"There are a number of reasons. We have salary cap issues to consider and there is a bit of a changing of the guard here if you look at the guys moving on.

"We're getting some young guys in and it's evolution. There's a changing of the guard here and the coach has decided that we're going to have a few fresh faces."

Webb signed a $300,000-a-season deal with the Cowboys in 2008 but the prop has since struggled to live up to his price tag, with his form slump costing him his Test and Queensland jumpers.

As Webb prepares for tomorrow night's clash against the Tigers, his manager Sam Ayoub said the prop is resigned to moving on.

"We're talking to a number of clubs at the moment," Ayoub said.

"I'll be sitting down with Charlie [Webb] in the next week and working out what we will do."

he is nearing the end of his career, if he gets a chance why not go play in england.
a change of scenery may do him wonders

I,m sure Carl will love it in the old Dart not a lot of training there and a lot of drinking by all accounts

I read the article, had a bit of a chuckle to myself and than the realisation that this is exactly the kind of player we are known for signing and getting nothing out of for big $$$. After that I frowned

He would be good for 1 yr - while our younger guys still develop,
It will also add depth and cmpetition but I would keep Big Red, Moors, Fafita on all LONG term contract.
Payten will leave soon I guess

Apparently he's still only 28\. I'd still pass on the poster boy for lard boy donuts though.

Lard boy donuts :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I only hope He isn't on our short list. He is not a nice boy, and has poor discipline in many aspects of his football life…

There is more bang for your buck out there...

Crikey, you'd think that this bloke shouldn't be touched with a 10 Foot pole but to bring out the best in Carl is a coach who understands his psyche.
Scratch the surface and here is the next Raging Bull, a Gorden Tallis type of player who certain coaches have no idea how to deal with, if our club ignores the unfulfilled potential here, guess who will snap him up, Uncle Wayne the Saint will take him under his Angelic Wing and convert another Sinner into a Saint, trust me it's Wayne the Saint to save Carl.
As he has done with a few more Broncos players who were shown the door during his tenure at Brisbane but welcomed back now he has left Sinful BrisVegas, :deadhorse:

I'd leave him to top up his super in the UK whereupon he can return to Australia to continue his less than stellar boxing "career."

I thought about it for 5 seconds, then realised I wasted 5 seconds of my life. Terrible player and has been terrible for years.

@Cultured Bogan said:
I'd leave him to top up his super in the UK whereupon he can return to Australia to continue his less than stellar boxing "career."

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Members online

Back