Wests have plenty of work to do

Discussion_Bot

![](/images/stories/news-imgs/2011/wests1.jpg)WESTERN Suburbs Magpies NSW Cup team coach Leo Epifania admits he’s not one to give up and will take on any challenge head-on.

While the rugby league season is still more than a month away Epifania knows he’s got a fight on his hands, after his beloved Magpies capitulated 28-20 to Bundaberg Red Cup side Mt Pritchard in a trial match at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday.

The Magpies have lost at least four of their better players to fellow NSW Cup side Balmain Eastwood Ryde after Wests Tigers outlined their preference to have their contracted players line up in only one feeder team than split between two.

Added to that natural team movements and about five players on the injury list already, and Epifania can only concede there are tough times ahead.

But he insisted he still had a strong squad capable of stretching the better teams to the final whistle.

“We’re going to look a lot better a few weeks down the track,” he said.

Saturday’s match was played in blistering heat and a large penalty count against the Magpies played into the hands of Mt Pritchard.

“We have quite a bit of work to do and I know the team won’t be spot on by round one . . . but I’m know to find a way,” Epifania said.

[Source](http://macarthur-chronicle-wollondilly.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/western-suburbs-magpies-have-plenty-of-work-to-do/)

@balmain bug said:
what a joke. Why can't wests magpies be the side the nrl players play for??

if this goes on next year maybe wests will get there shot then.that would be fairer.

@Balmain Bug said:
What a joke. Why can't Wests Magpies be the side the NRL players play for??

Because your club is unprofessional - cannot pay for training footballs because that would take money away from Board lunches - & it is self-imploding!!!!!!!

Bug only appears when he has something to [This word has been automatically removed] about!!!

No sign of it in late 2010!!!!!

Enough said!!!!

Red …it all went downhill when Hammond pulled the pin...simple.....Now if you want me to give you a Ryde Eastwood lesson then by all means I will...BALMAIN died years ago....

The bottom line is ...it is in the best interest of the NRL TEAM...to have all the players play for the 1 entity...

Yes Bug is upset as am I...but hey I could only imagine the blettings that would come from the BETTER HALF if Sheens choose to stack the Magpies instead of BALMAIN RYDE EASTWOOD WESTS MAGPIE TIGERS 2011 with FG players + a stack of Wests Juniors......INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Geo. said:
Red …it all went downhill when Hammond pulled the pin...simple.....Now if you want me to give you a Ryde Eastwood lesson then by all means I will...BALMAIN died years ago....

The bottom line is ...it is in the best interest of the NRL TEAM...to have all the players play for the 1 entity...

Yes Bug is upset as am I...but hey I could only imagine the blettings that would come from the BETTER HALF if Sheens choose to stack the Magpies instead of BALMAIN RYDE EASTWOOD WESTS MAGPIE TIGERS 2011 with FG players + a stack of Wests Juniors......INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unlike Bug - I would live with it for the GREATER GOOD brother!!!!

Live with it for the greater good? In 2005 we won the comp with an equal distribution of players and Westd had their juniors playing with them. Then in 2006 all NRL players went to BRET for a couple if years and 1st grade failed dismally. In 2010 Wests Tigers made the Semi's with 2 good NSW cup sides feeding into them again. See the pattern ????

Thhe sooner we have a national reserve grade comp with one team per NRL side the better.

In doing so it would also be wise to elevate the level of Bundy Red Cup (or whatever the sponsor may be in a given year) that way it would give a level whereby NYC players can be kept in system to an extent if they do not make the reserve grade side and both founders of the joint venture can still test and progress juniors from their own catchment. It keeps later bloomers in the system, adds another revenue stream to the pot for the NRL and grows the games base

@smeghead said:
Thhe sooner we have a national reserve grade comp with one team per NRL side the better.

In doing so it would also be wise to elevate the level of Bundy Red Cup (or whatever the sponsor may be in a given year) that way it would give a level whereby NYC players can be kept in system to an extent if they do not make the reserve grade side and both founders of the joint venture can still test and progress juniors from their own catchment. It keeps later bloomers in the system, adds another revenue stream to the pot for the NRL and grows the games base

I agree Smeg. The structure of the NRL is causing these problems.

@magpie said:
"equal partners" hahaha! What a joke!

\
\
theres lots of ''unequalness'' to this joint venture.all decisions from the top seem to have a balmain flavor to them.we get 5% of our juniors coming thru our wests side of the juniors apart from robbiefarah who was an enfield federal which used to be wests anyway.weve got 95% of our expanding newer supporters coming from the western suburbs new housing estates in the camden,campbelltown,liverpool area..weve got a moderator on this forum jumping up and down when an all white jersey gets trotted out in a trial game after ten years of watching all orange jerseys go round.in 2006 one reserve team got all the wests tigers players that team was balmain in 2011 the same thing has happened and yes drumroll the winner is balmain or should i say ryde eastwood rewarding ryde eastwood for ther solid 7 years of support to the joint venture over that mob called "western suburbs" who played over 1000 first grade games over 90 odd years of first grade,reserve grade,etc,etc.maybe we should wait our turn.but dont say anything on this forum otherwise "somehow?" us wests supporters are labelled "whingers" by the tiger intelligentsia.i fear that they are having too many lattes in coffee shops in and around balmain amongst too many greenies and there views on whats going on in the real world is becoming a far too distant memory.well probably get called "racist" soonto keep this balanced humphreys is a person of good business acumen and our "joint partner" has a very proud history just like us "western suburbs magpies"

Heck i even got my ability of using capital letters when i post on this forum taken away from me.one random day when a moderator who i dont think is with us anymore objected to one of my posts after being on here for over a year.one bad post and wooshka no more capitals for you.

@magpie mania said:
Heck i even got my ability of using capital letters when i post on this forum taken away from me.one random day when a moderator who i dont think is with us anymore objected to one of my posts after being on here for over a year.one bad post and wooshka no more capitals for you.

ha ha i remember you using caps every time you posted, VERY ANNOYING INDEED : :wink:

I believe you used to post only in capitals which resulted in numerous complaints from forum users.

Also on the point you raised about 10 years of all orange jerseys. You are aware that black has been the main colour used in our main jersey design for the majority of those years aren't you? The orange was the alternative jersey in that time.

On the topic of the white jersey I can see how many people would be confused as to it's connection. Many would not have a memory of the reverse magpie strip like some of us older forummers do.

But Smeg how can they be confused about the fact that white is one of Wests Tigers 3 colours ??

@Balmain Bug said:
But Smeg how can they be confused about the fact that white is one of Wests Tigers 3 colours ??

Im sure they know its one of our colours, they just realise its the insignificant colour

@Balmain Bug said:
Live with it for the greater good? In 2005 we won the comp with an equal distribution of players and Westd had their juniors playing with them. Then in 2006 all NRL players went to BRET for a couple if years and 1st grade failed dismally. In 2010 Wests Tigers made the Semi's with 2 good NSW cup sides feeding into them again. See the pattern ????

Mate - I will state for the last time I would prefer to see Wests keep their aligned players & for fringe players to be equitably distributed!

But if the powers that be consider the better option for player development to be a single pathway - then I would live with it for the benefit of the main squad!!

I am willing to test the waters & await the result - not basing assumptions of success or failure of said scheme on two isolated years!

In 2006 we lost Benji & Hodgo for major portions of the year - we replaced Buckets & Patty with the lesser lights of Harris & Lolesi - our depth was non-existent & our halfback was going through the motions before his move to the Coast!!

Those factors played a far greater role in our lack of on-field success than NSW Cup structure did!!!

On the plus side in 2006 we unearthed two genuine stars in Rowdy & Nella from separate sides of the J-V!

@king sirro said:
@Balmain Bug said:

Im sure they know its one of our colours, they just realise its the insignificant colour

:crazy
it is just as significant as the other 2 colours.
:wtf

@tomcat said:
@magpie mania said:
heck i even got my ability of using capital letters when i post on this forum taken away from me.one random day when a moderator who i dont think is with us anymore objected to one of my posts after being on here for over a year.one bad post and wooshka no more capitals for you.

ha ha i remember you using caps every time you posted, very annoying indeed : :wink:

small things small minds. :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Staff online

Back