WESTS TIGERS BEAT SHARKS 44-6 IN TOYOTA CUP

G

WESTS TIGERS BEAT SHARKS 44-6 IN TOYOTA CUP
By Wayne Cousins at Toyota Stadium
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Wests Tigers overcame a slow start to record a thumping 42-6 victory over Cronulla Sharks at Toyota Park in round 23 of the Toyota Cup competition on Sunday, August 16.

The victory lifted Wests Tigers into fourth place depending on the outcome of Brisbane-Penrith match.

The opening 10 minutes saw both sides match each other early with no real opportunities. Wests Tigers opened the scoring in the 11th minute when half-back and captain Darren Nicholls fired a sharp pass to the right for full-back Jake Mullaney to step and beat three defenders to score out wide.

Mullaney failed to convert the try for a 4-0 lead.

The Sharks hit back in the 17th minute when they kept the ball alive out wide for Jason Buyuka to score for a 4-4 scoreline. Half-back Chad Townsend converted the try for a 6-4 lead.

Wests Tigers bounced back in the 22nd minute when second-rower Simon Dwyer crossed out wide after the team got six more tackles from a crossfield kick. Mullaney converted the try for a 10-6 lead.

Wests Tigers centre Joel Wisbey was then held up over the line before Mullaney was denied a try in chasing through a grubber kick after the referee ruled the ball had went dead.

Mullaney kicked a penalty goal right on half-time from 25 metres out to give Wests Tigers a 12-6 lead at the break.

2nd Half
Wests Tigers has plenty of chances in the Shharks quarter in the opening five minutes of the second half but could capitalise.

Things did change though when a grubber kick by Nicholls saw Mullaney again on the spot to score near the posts. Mullaney converted his own try for an 18-6 lead after 50 minutes.

Four minutes later, the Nicholls-Mullaney show was at it again when a grubber kick by the half-back saw the full-back grab the ball one handed before planting it down to score in the same spot.
Mullaney converted the try for a 24-6 lead.

It became 28-6 when forward Leivaha Pulu crossed out wide. Mulalney converted the try for a 30-6 lead.

Wests Tigers stepped it up again when Mullaney scored out wide for his fourth try for a 34-6 lead.

Hooker Chris Corby then got on the tryscoring act to stretch the lead to 38-6 before winger Sama Sauvao scored for a 42-6 lead. Mullaney converted the try for a 44-6 victory.

It was a big day out for Mullaney, scoring four tries and kicking six goals for a personal tally of 28 points. He now sits on top of the pointscoring ladder in the Toyota Cup with 218 points.

Young Jake Mullaney keeps reminding me of that young pimple faced kid that lined up for the Magpies in 1997.

The similarities to a young Hodgo are uncanny.

Throughout the year he as always been elusive running the ball and was always backing up, today he showed his play making skills in the absence of Lui.

Great game by Jake and the NYC kids. Starting to fire at the right time of the season.

Mallaney and the Fifita boys are absolute weapons for us.

I'm curious though, I mean I'm very confident that we will be making the top 4, do we get a home game?

@Squad's Tigers said:
Mallaney and the Fifita boys are absolute weapons for us.

I'm curious though, I mean I'm very confident that we will be making the top 4, do we get a home game?

No, the U20s schedule it the same as first grade and the corresponding final in the U20s will be the curtain raiser for first grade eg) 4 v 5 on Friday, 3 v 6 and 2 v 7 on Saturday and 1 v 8 on Sunday. I believe if a club has a team in the U20s finals as well as firsts then the U20s will open for their first grade side regardless of where/when they play .. if you get what im saying.

So in the U20s Dragons, Melbourne, Tigers & Manly are pretty much in the finals and the Tigers and Manly are on track for FG too.

@Staks said:
Young Jake Mullaney keeps reminding me of that young pimple faced kid that lined up for the Magpies in 1997.

Throughout the year he as always been elusive running the ball and was always backing up, today he showed his play making skills in the absence of Lui.

Great game by Jake and the NYC kids. Starting to fire at the right time of the season.

have thought the same watching him all year…..

The Kid certainly has ticker...

@Staks said:

is a deadset hodgo clone

the most impressive part is that he has played all his juniors as a halfback, yet has slotted in at fullback like he's played there for years.

is at least 2 seasons away from being even considered for nrl, but is well on the way.

Back