Wests Tigers Coaches

All my life I have struggled with addictions. Booze, smokes, and the punt. Anyway, gave the smokes away, gave the punt away and now have the odd drink.Anyway my biggest addiction has been the Tigers and that has been almost impossible to flick, but now is the right time to say enough is enough and walk away from a fruit cake of a organisation
Good on you for getting rid of the addictions. Takes a lot of will power especially in a culture like our where alcohol and gambling are everywhere. Like yourself I've largely walked away this year - been seeing movies, or hanging out with family instead of watching footy. Hate to say I haven't missed it. Wish the Tigers would give me a bit of hope, cos there's nothing better than seeing them win, but got tired of having good weekends ruined by footy results with no prospect of better days.

He got the Warriors to 8th in 2008, 5th in 2010 and the grand final in 2011, I would say he was quite successful at the Warriors
Add to that Nathan played every origin game in the 2018 series prior to signing the new contract with Penrith.

All my life I have struggled with addictions. Booze, smokes, and the punt. Anyway, gave the smokes away, gave the punt away and now have the odd drink.Anyway my biggest addiction has been the Tigers and that has been almost impossible to flick, but now is the right time to say enough is enough and walk away from a fruit cake of a organisation
Champion @supercoach - you've come through so much - this team is a breeze compared to the rest. Stick with it, we're right beside you.

The worst part about it all is that both Clearys have been vindicated. Ivan can obviously coach, but also obviously he needs the cattle and the recruitment/development legwork done by others.

Ivan was only modestly successful at Penrith the first time, also not particularly successful at Warriors or Tigers. Pretty ballsy move to go back to the club that already sacked you once before... and I struggle to think of many instances where a sacked coach is re-hired by that club (Tigers staring down the barrel of doing the same thing).

I also was hopeful Nathan Cleary might sign with Tigers, and at that point he was a mostly unproven junior halfback. It's ballsy of Penrith also to bet the house on the player, to placate their junior halfback and add stability to the roster, by headhunting a coach you previously decided could not do the job.

So it's particularly annoying that it all worked out for Penrith so rosily and that they are vindicated in their risk-taking. Similarly galling that Roosters manoeuvred to sign both Tedesco and Cronk and win consecutive premierships, when Cronk could have lent his support to a struggling club rather than an already-established heavyweight.

First time I met Pascoe in 2020 I asked him about that, about how it must irritate him how well Cleary was doing with Penrith (after the first-year stumble in 2019). He said something like "mate you have no idea".
Excellent summary of the truth.
Often thought of the massive sliding doors moments for this club eg not getting Nathan / Ivan jumping off the bus and losing Teddy (and Moses, JAC) - we had a dynasty waiting to happen and build around, if only it was managed properly.

The worst part about it all is that both Clearys have been vindicated. Ivan can obviously coach, but also obviously he needs the cattle and the recruitment/development legwork done by others.

Ivan was only modestly successful at Penrith the first time, also not particularly successful at Warriors or Tigers. Pretty ballsy move to go back to the club that already sacked you once before... and I struggle to think of many instances where a sacked coach is re-hired by that club (Tigers staring down the barrel of doing the same thing).

I also was hopeful Nathan Cleary might sign with Tigers, and at that point he was a mostly unproven junior halfback. It's ballsy of Penrith also to bet the house on the player, to placate their junior halfback and add stability to the roster, by headhunting a coach you previously decided could not do the job.

So it's particularly annoying that it all worked out for Penrith so rosily and that they are vindicated in their risk-taking. Similarly galling that Roosters manoeuvred to sign both Tedesco and Cronk and win consecutive premierships, when Cronk could have lent his support to a struggling club rather than an already-established heavyweight.

First time I met Pascoe in 2020 I asked him about that, about how it must irritate him how well Cleary was doing with Penrith (after the first-year stumble in 2019). He said something like "mate you have no idea".
Great read mate.
When then tigers were contemplating getting Nathan to join WT and his dad I had an uneasy feeling that it was just a ploy to get the Panthers to go after Ivan so they don't lose Nathan...I was right and so filthy.

Sheens did say I’m 71 and don’t care if I upset anyone or something along those lines , well he has upset plenty , sacked our coach , no replacement organised , missed his Nominated target , still no coach weeks later , made us look like ripe,dick heads , he needs to retire he is passed it been out of our game 11 years and may just be getting a bit geriatrics in him

Sheens did say I’m 71 and don’t care if I upset anyone or something along those lines , well he has upset plenty , sacked our coach , no replacement organised , missed his Nominated target , still no coach weeks later , made us look like ripe,dick heads , he needs to retire he is passed it been out of our game 11 years and may just be getting a bit geriatrics in him
Or maybe he sees this as an opportunity for payback to the organisation for what they did years ago to him.

We have the Cleary rebuild and we take Chris McQueen, broken neck and all.
Only a small point, but to be fair we did sign McQueen before the neck injury and at the time I think everyone thought it was a good signing.

What I am trying to say is that, yes this club is generally incompetent in many of the decisions they make, but when they actually do something that is widely regarded as a good decision, it all goes bad like the neck injury.

All I can say is that this club is cursed.

I hear ya. You should be ashamed of your self. I hear ya.
I know we have all felt like this at some stage.
You wanna laugh. I’ve though about seeing a hypnotherapist in the past.
But I’m to scared to do it, it might work.

Only a small point, but to be fair we did sign McQueen before the neck injury and at the time I think everyone thought it was a good signing.

What I am trying to say is that, yes this club is generally incompetent in many of the decisions they make, but when they actually do something that is widely regarded as a good decision, it all goes bad like the neck injury.

The curse, if there is one, seemed to start in the same year we sacked Sheens. Possibly the only way to break it is to rehire him, which we have done, and sack him again, doing it right this time.

I can’t agree with this. These guys we sign who played rep footy up to three or four years earlier. They’re not getting mentioned in those discussions anymore. That’s evidence enough that their career is on the decline. How many times has Pascoe done it now?! Too many.

I thought and said McQueen was a bad signing before JT even bought him because he was going to be over 30 when we got him and his form was poor at the time.Many others said exactly the same,it was mainly JTs fan boys who supported the decision.Some people have tried to blame Ivan for getting him as he signed about a week after Ivan was appointed but it was JT who had got him to the club Ivan just rubberstamped it

Reactions: 851
One thing I can’t understand is peoples attachments to coaches that are failing. Hear me out.
Sheens oversaw Madge go, some are up in arms, thats football, but for others it was time to change, that’s football.
in a WT perfect world, if ciraldo got the five year gig and he failed with all help given to him, 2 years later we are not improving, how long do we wait to get rid of him.
Do we blame the club, Tim or the coach.
Results driven, that’s football.
All clubs players coaches fans want the best,
but it’s not easy, especially in our position.
At the moment It would be doing the clubs head in why it’s not happening, they are just like us.
I will always support mid season sackings if our coach fails, life is to short to suffer at the hands of some fool.
Its not our club it world sport.
I can’t blame clubs for sacking coaches.
I don’t buy into 5 year plans., 2 years at a time, I’d like to see after one year how we’re travelling.
Ciraldo knew he couldn’t help us, he’s not good enough.

One thing I can’t understand is peoples attachments to coaches that are failing. Hear me out.
Sheens oversaw Madge go, some are up in arms, thats football, but for others it was time to change, that’s football.
in a WT perfect world, if ciraldo got the five year gig and he failed with all help given to him, 2 years later we are not improving, how long do we wait to get rid of him.
At the moment It would be doing the clubs head in why it’s not happening, they are just like us.
I will always support mid season sackings if our coach fails, life is to short to suffer at the hands of some fool.
I don’t buy into 5 year plans., 2 years at a time, I’d like to see after one year how we’re travelling.
If success is purely and simply down to the head coach then why have other positions in the club? Heck, do we even need players? 🤣

It's basically sheens or bust at this point.

Back