Wests Tigers Coaches

If success is purely and simply down to the head coach then why have other positions in the club? Heck, do we even need players? 🤣
No, but they are on notice from day one, all coaches.
with all help given, no excuses.
what do you mean do we need players ?
how would you do it.

One thing I can’t understand is peoples attachments to coaches that are failing. Hear me out.
Sheens oversaw Madge go, some are up in arms, thats football, but for others it was time to change, that’s football.
in a WT perfect world, if ciraldo got the five year gig and he failed with all help given to him, 2 years later we are not improving, how long do we wait to get rid of him.
Do we blame the club, Tim or the coach.
Results driven, that’s football.
All clubs players coaches fans want the best,
but it’s not easy, especially in our position.
At the moment It would be doing the clubs head in why it’s not happening, they are just like us.
I will always support mid season sackings if our coach fails, life is to short to suffer at the hands of some fool.
Its not our club it world sport.
I can’t blame clubs for sacking coaches.
I don’t buy into 5 year plans., 2 years at a time, I’d like to see after one year how we’re travelling.
Ciraldo knew he couldn’t help us, he’s not good enough.
I agree with what your saying tm,just for argument sake,if Melb had a run of say another 5 losses in a row,would Melb sack Bellamy ? no because of all the success they have had through the years with him as head coach...with us there is a stigma attached,we sack coaches when things arent going well and havent kept a coach that has the team reaching finals consistently and there in lies what I think is the problem..
I honestly also think that we have a long road ahead of us in getting that consistency....

I
No, but they are on notice from day one, all coaches.
with all help given, no excuses.
what do you mean do we need players ?
how would you do it.
was making a point that there are many other factors at play that lead to success. The main one being a competitive roster.

How would I do it? I think the club needs a complete restructure top down with new powerbrokers. The head coach is irrelevant at this time.

I agree with what your saying tm,just for argument sake,if Melb had a run of say another 5 losses in a row,would Melb sack Bellamy ? no because of all the success they have had through the years with him as head coach...with us there is a stigma attached,we sack coaches when things arent going well and havent kept a coach that has the team reaching finals consistently and there in lies what I think is the problem..
I honestly also think that we have a long road ahead of us in getting that consistency....
How can anyone argue with that.

Roster- sacking coaches is simply a way for the club to look like they are taking action for failure, when the truth is there are a lot more failing than the coach. Players know it better than anyone and changing a coach will not attract players who want to play finals when they look at the blokes they are lining up beside - unless they are in it for the money.

Tend to agree. We need better players. You think better players will be interested in the long-time dud club that had to sign a nuffie coach?

Re-watch the matty johns interview with him.

It's basically 2002 again, "before 2005 there was a survey done in a magazine and WT was no 1 for where players do not want to go"

Sound familiar?

"2005 we had an intelligent spine, Robbie, Prince and BH and we played to our strength" Sheens focused on skill based coaching, attack passing ect.

Once had success there players took an interest at our club.

History repeating

It's basically 2002 again, "before 2005 there was a survey done in a magazine and WT was no 1 for where players do not want to go"

Sound familiar?

"2005 we had an intelligent spine, Robbie, Prince and BH and we played to our strength" Sheens focused on skill based coaching, attack passing ect.

History repeating
Just need to go out and buy a gun half, two solid centres, a rep winger, a top line fullback and have a generational talent come through at five eighth. Again.

Oh and anyone know an unsung forward pack?

Just need to go out and buy a gun half, two solid centres, a rep winger, a top line fullback and have a generational talent come through at five eighth. Again.

Oh and anyone know an unsung forward pack?

We just need someone running the club that knows what they are doing to start with

Tend to agree. We need better players. You think better players will be interested in the long-time dud club that had to sign a nuffie coach?
WTs need to select the coach who is the right fit for the club. Having Sheens on boarded gives the club the best chance of this happening. This issue is often overlooked.

Sound familiar?

History repeating
I hope not - we still couldn’t sign anyone after we won the comp… unless you know someone I don’t. We signed a union convert, a reserve grade prop from Cronulla, a dog on his last legs and Ryan o’hara…
Then John Morris, then Gareth Ellis, then Lote…

That’s the 5 years signings after we won the comp… we’ve never ever made marquee signings - the 2 we got for next year would be among our best ever

What coach best fits a club that has consistently failed? No disrespect to anyone,
but again that just seems like another avenue to make an excuse for not succeeding and giving the fans false hope that when we get the right fit we will be better. Not buying it - and neither are the coaches that are now knocking us back like the players have before them.

I hope not - we still couldn’t sign anyone after we won the comp… unless you know someone I don’t. We signed a union convert, a reserve grade prop from Cronulla, a dog on his last legs and Ryan o’hara…
Then John Morris, then Gareth Ellis, then Lote…

That’s the 5 years signings after we won the comp… we’ve never ever made marquee signings - the 2 we got for next year would be among our best ever
The club has pretty much accepted the next big stars will come through the juniors and I am okay with that acknowledgment. The Storm do it without a junior area, there is no reason we can't. We just have to be better at identifying, retaining and developing them. Sheens from memory allocated part of the NRL salary cap (equivalent at that time) to retain the young stars.

What coach best fits a club that has consistently failed? No disrespect to anyone,
but again that just seems like another avenue to make an excuse for not succeeding and giving the fans false hope that when we get the right fit we will be better. Not buying it - and neither are the coaches that are now knocking us back like the players have before them.
Cleary was an excellent fit, Maguire not so much.

The trick is for coaches to improve not only the team performance but also the individual players. In this regard maybe Maguire failed.

That's a good point. The coach also needs to seek to improve their own skills and we only have to look at Cleary and Fitzgibbon as examples.

Cleary was an excellent fit, Maguire not so much.
Cleary ran for the exit as soon as the opportunity arose, just like the players we have lost to stronger clubs. Not sure that signifies a good fit. It could be easily assumed that he got out because he could see the writing on the wall.

Cleary ran for the exit as soon as the opportunity arose, just like the players we have lost to stronger clubs. Not sure that signifies a good fit. It could be easily assumed that he got out because he could see the writing on the wall.
Players did improve under Cleary. Cleary himself has undergone continuous improvement to the point now where a ridiculous number of his players are in SOO.

Back