Wests Tigers Coaches

Not a 24/7 Coach..... never knew that.

Said it plenty of times, He's the least invested 'Coach' I've seen in my life....
And his careers attitude has always been (If it don't work, I'll try something else)
How many NRL head coaches have time to be putting together Instagram
commercials / sponsorships?
All I hear is he's new age, He's a different personality....

If he's a head coach that thinks it's a 9-5 job, He'll be the only one that does....
If it makes him 'successful' I'd be shocked - Given he's got the least successful squad for the last few years under him...

Good News is - We can't get any lower (Until 2027)

Reactions: Moh
AHX we have the best coaching staff in the NRL, over 1200 NRL games experience between them.

That would go well with all the NRL Players that thought they'd make good coaches.... And didn't
Probably close to the same number...

Said it plenty of times, He's the least invested 'Coach' I've seen in my life....
And his careers attitude has always been (If it don't work, I'll try something else)

If he's a head coach that thinks it's a 9-5 job, He'll be the only one that does....
If it makes him 'successful' I'd be shocked - Given he's got the least successful squad for the last few years under him...

Totally agree - absolutely supporting him and wanting him to succeed, but like I've said from that start, he's not a head coach.

Totally agree - absolutely supporting him and wanting him to succeed, but like I've said from that start, he's not a head coach.
We have nothing but to want him to succeed.....

If it goes belly up, and we have a mass exodus of kids on the back of it....
We'll be ringing in McQueen and Packer again.

• Sad
Reactions: Moh
Man ! What the actual ? What is wrong with you ? You have zero idea about how invested he is ! And talk about taking it out of context ! Have a look at Madge ? The poster child for not leaving it at work . He literally stressed himself into a job as assistant at Canberra , and the only good thing anyone can say about Madge as NSW coach is that , he will get the boys up because his shtick only works over a short term period .
To be able to not stress yourself into a corner is a good thing . You take where you take risks like leaving the old 33 year old half sitting on the bench , because you don’t feel like you hitched your wagon to anyone .
When Madge was coach he wouldn’t drop Brooks , wouldn’t drop Leilua , would play the big contracts over and over . And did himself out of a job.
The freedom both external , and internally to make choices will be the thing that defines Benji . And if that stems from a spot where he’s not rocking himself to sleep worrying whether Tupou is going to drop another critical ball , or X player misses thier defensive assignment , how is that a bad thing ?
This whole “you gotta live it “ concept as if you’re somehow better than someone who doesn’t , is ridiculous . If he is putting in the work then he will reap the rewards .
It’s such an antiquated way of viewing things that time is the same as output .
It’s proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with numerous studies that most people only work effectively max 6 hrs a day . The rest is just filler .
Stressing over dinner . Whilst your son is looking at you to give him some attention is hardly a good thing …

None of us have any idea how much Benji or other coaches put in - we rely on opinions from newspaper reports, all of which have their own bias and agenda. They feed into our own biases as well so we have this loop. They will be judged on results - like all jobs should be. Maguire's tenure in "living it" has resulted in 1 premiership, Ricky Stuart along the same path has 0, as does Brad Arthurs. Bellamy is the outlier but he'd be more the exception with the great players he had to coach.

That a pretty big judgement to make based on very little evidence. I reckon Madge was pretty "invested" (if your definition of invested is spending 24/7 focusing on football) where did that get him? Ivan Cleary was pretty invested until he got a better offer. What are you even basing that statement off? The fact he has sponsorships? seems a strange criticism if you don't have some inside knowledge.

Give the bloke a chance bloody hell.

What are you even basing that statement off?
I'm not 'basing' it off anything....
I took it from the mouths of the coaches that said it.
There's a long line of coaches successful coaches (Even the not so successful ones) that openly speak about how hard the job is on them and their family with them living in football 24/7....
And have done for a long time.
- A fella like Sheens is on what, his 3rd or 4th Marriage by now?

And then listening to Benji say the complete opposite....

I didn't say it wouldn't work, (There's a first time for everything) Or I'm not rooting for him....
Unfortunately, I need a bit more than a flick pass from 20 years ago to be convinced that he's the answer...

Not by everyone.

Good players win games, and I’ll judge Benji when he has good enough players to win.
Man Brisbane won a comp with Shane Perry as their half because the team 1-17 external of halfback was basically the qld origin team .
All Bennett had to do that year was keep the boys from too many nose beers at 1am and it was a sure thing .
Not much X and O required that year .
The best coaches reinvented the wheel and defined an era .
Gibson , Warren Ryan both at the dogs then again in the late 90s at the knights , sheens in 05 , then Bellamy and Hasler in the late 00s (for the worse IMO. But they won a lot).
Everyone else is winning because of cattle , and buy in . Very little X and O difference .

Not by everyone.

Good players win games, and I’ll judge Benji when he has good enough players to win.

Im sure the media will have a look at the roster and cut Benji a bit of slack if results are not favourable this year …

He is gunna have a long year I think …

How long someone works has no bearing on anything. It says nothing for efficiency or effectiveness.

If I had a dollar for every employee that would lean on the early arrival/late leave trope as an indication of their competency, I'd be a rich man.

For those who haven't actually read the article; it's a beat up.

A Bulldog Ritchie special. It's full of unnamed 'quotes' from the odd ex player or coach, speculating about Benji's work ethic based upon a throwaway line last year where he was basically indicating that he likes to have balance in his life and prioritises family time as well.

It's an outdated and laughable premise, fumbled and jumbled into an article, authored by an intellectual troglodyte.

Trash.

Back