Wests Tigers demand compensation to ward off 'cheque-book' r

I think people who have had a shot at Mayer over this issue have completely missed his objective.

I don't believe its him having a whinge about players being poached, or richer clubs coming and taking our juniors. His underlying message is an attempt to score some additional cash from NRL to assist the club in developing juniors.

Pretty astute if you ask me.

We have heard all about this phantom centre of excellence that is supposed to be built out at Cambo for the u20's, well I think that Grant might be wanting the NRL to come to the party and assist with funding.

Hearing first hand from people who have worked closely with Grant at Manly and GWS, he is supposed to be a shrewd operator. Linking the emotional issue of junior development in south west sydney with additional funding for the club is quite smart if you ask me.

Totally agree Abraham. I just don't get where this hate towards Mayer has come from. He's the best thing it have happened to this club in a while. When you think about the last few CEOs he's on another level.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

It is concerning that he would air these comments, as other posters have said, because it points to him being frustrated with Tedesco's negotiations and we're little chance of retaining him.

However that does beg the question - why in the world have we waited this long to get a deal done for him? Everyone knew the kid was VERY good, why didn't we spend the off-season getting a new deal done for him, with a solid upgrade but not through the roof which we may now have to pay.

IF we lose him, Mayer has some serious questions to ask, and he can't blame the non-members, the board, or anyone else for this one.

Re cheque book in this weeks League Wk page nine. We have picked up front rower Sam Hollis from Panthers. Anyone know his stats ie height weight etc.

@GNR4LIFE said:
@jirskyr said:
@GNR4LIFE said:
Got a feeling if he re-signs he'll do his knee again down the line, and if signs elsewhere he'll never have another knee problem again.

What absurd pessimism, you must be a real treat in the final 10 minutes of a tight game. What you've said can never be proven as a true outcome.

Of course it can. If we re-sign him and he does his knee again, what i said would prove correct would it not?

No it wouldn't. You are saying if he stays here he will probably get injured, but if he goes he would not get injured. Only one of those timelines is possible, so even if he stays at Tigers and does his knee, he could just have easily done the same for another club.

What you appear to be suggesting is that we have such bad luck or injury karma, that by leaving Tigers, Tedesco would be escaping negative knee juju.

And what I am saying is that posting about "gut feelings" or "hunches" on this forum is absolutely without value or purpose.

@Benjirific said:
It is concerning that he would air these comments, as other posters have said, because it points to him being frustrated with Tedesco's negotiations and we're little chance of retaining him.

That's just an assumption you and others are making, based on zero evidence.

@Abraham said:
I think people who have had a shot at Mayer over this issue have completely missed his objective.

I don't believe its him having a whinge about players being poached, or richer clubs coming and taking our juniors. His underlying message is an attempt to score some additional cash from NRL to assist the club in developing juniors.

We have heard all about this phantom centre of excellence that is supposed to be built out at Cambo for the u20's, well I think that Grant might be wanting the NRL to come to the party and assist with funding.

Hearing first hand from people who have worked closely with Grant at Manly and GWS, he is supposed to be a shrewd operator. Linking the emotional issue of junior development in south west sydney with additional funding for the club is quite smart if you ask me.

Yep…people are missing the point, the big picture....I think we have another shifty walking the corridors of power at concord

@Abraham said:

I have heard he is a good operator as well. Have you seen the facilities GWS have, hopefully we can get the state and local government to put in so we can get something similar .

I don't see how this is any different to any other 'head hunting' which happens in all businesses. The business develop's and allows the person to grow and become skillful and a valuable commodity. They then get a much better offer financially and with more opportunity and they take it and the original investment in that person is lost and you have to start again.

It's reality Mr Mayer - stop being a sook.

Yeah I agree there should be salary cap exemptions, but no to this complaint. If useless players such as Blair and Anasta weren't on around 800k a year this would be no problem resigning our players.

Back