Wests Tigers Podcast - Hosted by Helmsey&Eddie.

I have been a fan of the Tigers (the jersey) since 1988. I’m a Wests Tigers member of over 10 years, only these days because it auto-renews. It’s a four hour round trip but I used to attend around 10 games per year but lately between 0-2. I was at the Broncos semi final when we beat them in 05, the Roosters final when Braith kicked the field goal, the Dragons prelim when they beat us. I was also at the Warriors final when we choked in 2011, our last finals appearance. I watched us lose games to the Raiders and Sharks to finish 9th at LO. I am what you call a rusted on fan. Unless I’m at a wedding or a funeral, I watch the team play. Until the 80th minute.

For the last eight years we have gotten progressively worse. We have employed good coaches but they get nowhere. The players we bring in are mostly unwanted in the market. Some players come here in ok form and leave with their career in tatters.

I’m convinced we have a severe culture issue. Outside looking in there is an acceptance of low standards and poor attitude. This is reflected in everything I see from our leaders, who are too visible publicly and too ineffective where it matters- In attracting the best rugby league players. How can the best clubs attract 5/6/7 origin players and us none?!

I get personal about our leaders because to me rugby league is personal. I’ve played it, coached it, refereed it, I’ve breathed it my whole life. The leaders of our club are not footy people and they’re running it into the ground and that makes me incredibly angry. If I was in a job and making thousands of people miserable every weekend, I would simply walk away.

You guys on the pod know these guys and I’m sure they present well, but they’re doing a terrible job (call a spade a spade).
Mate with a resume like that you realise that together a lot of us have trodden the same mud for a long time...

Post-Eels match review, a look at the Adam Doueihi injury and take a look at where-to for Wests Tigers from here. https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0247/
Rusted on fans are starting to not even care anymore mate. I've been following them since the 60s. Couldn't even tell you how much money I've dumped into this club through businesses sponsorships and personal spendings. The last 5 years has been a real struggle to continue to give two shits. I stopped my membership in 2016 as many old timers did as we already knew Pascoe was a bellend. This year with the 2 untouchable peanuts still running the Tigers off a cliff I feel this might be the year many are ready to walk away for good.

If we had kept Hastings at 7 and played either Brooks or Doueihi at 6, we would likely now be sitting on 4 wins out of 6 instead of 0 from 6.
What is now being done to try and rectify this ?

I appreciate you guys addressing my post. I won’t comment too much other than to say that I am sure Michael Maguire took it personally when he was sacked and in my opinion made a scapegoat at Wests Tigers (I think we are now 1 win 19 losses since then).

You can’t expect to endorse those types of decisions and then not have some criticism levelled at you. It is my view that when you call yourself the boss and take a significant salary from the club and appear to always absolve yourself of any blame, you are going to have people eventually rant and rave about it. As I always say, each to their own.
Thanks for your contribution mate, I know we aren't exactly on the same page but I value your opinion and input.

BAGNF = Black and gold never fold.

A phrase that Justin Pascoe is doing his best to disprove.
Sadly you are correct,even in the years i watched when Balmain won the wooden spoon the team put in each week despite having a mediocre team.I can't say the same for some people on the field or off it at the moment.

BAGNF = Black and gold never fold.

A phrase that Justin Pascoe is doing his best to disprove.
It's black and orange.
So the correct line is Black and orange get squashed like a sporange.
Change your name to the correct BAOGSLAS immediately.
How did intelligent Magpie chappies ever get mixed up with a club that can't tell colours apart.

club culture is pathetic.

Who is the last player that came here and got better.

Sadly ICE has already assimilated and API will not make NSW origin
Matterson, Garner are probably the most recent I would say got better whilst here at WT, but the general thrust of your argument is correct. We accept bad performance and dont call out underperformers and have in the past mostly got players from the reject / bargain basement section of player market-and boy does it show. Similarly- coaching and support staff have been questionable, and stale CEO who has been here way too long- 8 years is too long.

Garner is a fraud 😂

Panthers found that out quickly . Had a backup in hosking though so no harm done.

Long time problem here, We have a player that would be a back up to a starter at another club and convince ourselves he's a first picked superstar, And the cornerstone of our side.
Watched Hosking at Panthers, He's going 'OK' - But has a ways to go.... Shows potential.

The fact a rookie has taken Garners spot so early confirms what many here have long thought.
He's one, There's a few more in the wings just quietly....

Love the podcast guys I don’t understand how you manage to get up there every week and try to keep some what of a positive attitude.

I think Eddie summed it up perfectly Pascoe and Lee are just the wrong people to be the face of the club they both seek attention at any chance they get and they are very easy targets for media to lay the boot into and when they do try to stand up for the club they do in a defensive manner that sounds like there constantly comming up with excuses

We need some 1 likeable and well respected to bring some form success back to this club because these blokes Clearly don’t know what A successful club looks like

This latest Ep Frustrated me soooooo much.

You danced around the facts that are really evident this year in terms of LACK of success in 2023.

Yes, We have the best pack in our history
Yes, We are getting to the opposition half well
Yes, We have some Injury concerns

We are Lacking a Game plan (coaching) that builds pressure and the Halves to execute. We dumped our organising half and now Newcastle is above us????

This is Criminal!

Anyone disagreeing, I point to the Dolphins with a similar team on paper that has also only had one pre season.

Members online

Back