Wests Tigers wearing Retro jerseys

Staks

Do you support the Wests Tigers in wearing traditional retro style jerseys twice a year v Souths (Balmain retro) and Manly (Wests retro) ?

i think our retro jerseys should be our main jerseys. just keep wearing them the whole season.

I think the wearing of retro jerseys should be restricted to only two games a year and the Balmain jersey only worn at Leichhardt and Wests at Campbelltown.

Otherwise, the only other retro jersey I'd like to see worn is the 2005.

I like the whole year retro jersey thing.

Am I the only one sick and tired of the jerseys changing every year? I realise sponsors will have to change but beyond that?

Yes - Special occasions, the Magpies jersey is the Magpies, the Balmain is balmain, we wear them once to honour our history, though we are a mix of both and thus we should also have our own strip which should be wornn for the majority of the season

I believe the club is looking to do away with these events…they see it as past its use by date

@innsaneink said:
Yes - Special occasions, the Magpies jersey is the Magpies, the Balmain is balmain, we wear them once to honour our history, though we are a mix of both and thus we should also have our own strip which should be wornn for the majority of the season

I believe the club is looking to do away with these events…they see it as past its use by date

Hi everyone

I absolutely agree with that. Let's get a Wests Tigers tradition going.

It's been 10 years…...

I support Balmain and go to their State Cup matches - that gives me my Balmain fix.

Tigergran

Once a year, worn on an annual basis against Balmain's and Western Suburbs' nemesis in Souths and Manly. As much as i agree that it is important for Wests Tigers to establish their own history and rivalry, you can never shy away from the past. That's that makes this club special. It's a combination of two founding members of the game. Both clubs should be allowed to preserve their history and brand through its own entity that they share. It sends a message to the game that both Football club's are still alive and kicking thanks to the Joint Venture. And for added incentive, it generates plenty of publicity; public interest, atmosphere and gets bums on seats when the rivalry is spoken about. The hatred between Souths and Balmain which dates back to 1909 and the bitter angst between the Silvertails and the Fibros of social class warfare in the late 70's; both these occurrences are apart of Rugby League folklore. That's what Rugby League has over its competitors. It's tradition and history; And that will never be matched by its rival codes. Respect the Past, Embrace the Future. That's the mantra that Wests Tigers Marketing Department should have at the forefront of their marketing mix and strategies.

@Gobbs said:
Once a year, worn on an annual basis against Balmain's and Western Suburbs' nemesis in Souths and Manly. As much as i agree that it is important for Wests Tigers to establish their own history and rivalry, you can never shy away from the past. That's that makes this club special. It's a combination of two founding members of the game. Both clubs should be allowed to preserve their history and brand through its own entity that they share. It sends a message to the game that both Football club's are still alive and kicking thanks to the Joint Venture. And for added incentive, it generates plenty of publicity; public interest, atmosphere and gets bums on seats when the rivalry is spoken about. The hatred between Souths and Balmain which dates back to 1909 and the bitter angst between the Silvertails and the Fibros of social class warfare in the late 70's; both these occurrences are apart of Rugby League folklore. That's what Rugby League has over its competitors. It's tradition and history; And that will never be matched by its rival codes. Respect the Past, Embrace the Future. That's the mantra that Wests Tigers Marketing Department should have at the forefront of their marketing mix and strategies.

Post of the year. Shut the gate, everyone go home now.

And as a Balmain fan in the top flight till 2000, I think the Magpie on the sleeve is fantastic.
Every time I see it I'm reminded that Balmain didn't end up merging with the eels, and the Magpies were spared the shame of Canterbury-Bankstown.

It's a sweet feeling, relief every time.

Once a year for the each is fine, its good to still recognise the long history of both Balmain and Western Suburbs that came together to form our club, if we are going to claim "200 years of history" then it seems a natural thing to do.

All for it :slight_smile:

Hi everyone

Well, I seems I have been outvoted!! and will abide by the majority decision.

Tigergran

@tigergran said:
@innsaneink said:

Hi everyone

I absolutely agree with that. Let's get a Wests Tigers tradition going.

It's been 10 years…...

I support Balmain and go to their State Cup matches - that gives me my Balmain fix.

Tigergran

Agree with you both here - twice a year, once for Balmain, once for the Maggies, but the rest of the time should be Wests Tigers - that's who we are now. :wink:

Pretty sad really when you hear that the Wests Tigers marketing gurus think that the idea of remembering the past has gone past its use by date. But, they have no problem bringing up the past when it suits them and telling those that care to listen that we have a 200+ year history. The simple fact in my opinion is that the club should be educating it's players, staff and fans on the history of how this great joint venture came about and about those that shed blood for both Balmain and Wests, without them and the history of both our clubs most of us would be following another code.

I cannot see what harm it would do by remembering the past twice a year :unamused:

First traditional home grounds, now traditional jerseys….. whats next?

I like seeing the two heritage jereys used for one game each year.

What brought this on. Have the Wests Tigers decided to ditch the heritage strips for next year?

My fellow Magpies;
>
After conversing with current Wests Tigers Chairman – Mr. Kevin Hammond, after thanking and congratulating him on his efforts of enabling the ‘Fibro/Silvertail’ theme to appear last Monday evening in the Round 21 Wests Tigers Vs. Manly clash at the SFS, with Wests Tigers wearing the Magpie heritage strip, it sent a gentle remainder of how much history and rivalry there is between Western Suburbs and Manly.
>
Mr. Hammond went on to inform me that the Marketing Department through their General Manger – Mr. Brett Clarke, thinks and believes that this concept and theme has had its day in the sun and is now past its used by date.
>
Mr. Hammond the Board do not share the Marketing Departments view and believe it is important to show case the brand and image of the Western Suburbs Magpies through its Joint-Venture entity, which acts to preserve both Balmain and Western Suburbs brand and history in the top flight level of Rugby League.
>
Mr. Hammond believes that the only way Mr. Clarke’s narrow-minded line of thinking is change is through the fans and members of the club voicing their support for the continuation of the Western Suburbs Heritage strip to be retained on a once a year basis coinciding with a scheduled clash against Wests arch nemesis in Manly.
>
To do this, join me in contacting Mr. Brett Clarke <bclarke@weststigers.com.au>and let your voice be heard. Let us not lose our history and tradition. Once a year is not asking much and is more than fair. Remember the past, embrace the future.
>
Please let other Wests fans know. The more support the better the odds for the Mighty ‘Black and White V’ to be retained by Wests Tigers on annual basis. Balmain have it with Souths and Canberra. Let Wests have it with Manly.
>
>
![](http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2009/08/03/tigers4_gallery__470x350.jpg)
>
>
[![](http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2751/chrislawrencewideweb470.jpg)
>](http://img99.imageshack.us/i/chrislawrencewideweb470.jpg/)
\
\
Regards,
>
The Gobbs!</bclarke@weststigers.com.au>

<bclarke@weststigers.com.au>Email sent…

BTW Gobbs...Leedys Fullback...Boland on the wing...Dorahy and Buddha in the centres ...much prefer.1\. Dorahy 3\. Guiteau 5\. Mullins</bclarke@weststigers.com.au>

Have the Wests Tigers ever played Canberra in the Balmain Heritage strip?

If so, have they ever played Canberra at Leichhardt?

@Geo. said:
<bclarke@weststigers.com.au>Email sent…

BTW Gobbs...Leedys Fullback...Boland on the wing...Dorahy and Buddha in the centres ...much prefer.1\. Dorahy 3\. Guiteau 5\. Mullins</bclarke@weststigers.com.au>

Haha, Good to see someone was listening to Talkin' Sport yesterdee. Onya' Geo. How's 'Too Tough' saying i've had one too many concussions :laughing:

@senex said:

Yes, last season. In 2008, Wests Tigers donned the Balmain Heritage strip against Canberra, recnognising the rivalry between Balmain and Canberra from the '89 Grand Final as apart of the centenary celebrations of Rugby League, whilst Wests Tigers wore their Western Suburbs Heritage strip against St.George Illawarra recognising the rivarly from the three consecutive Grand Finals from the 1961-63.

@senex said:

Played Canberra at LO in about '03 or 04 in rd 1 or 2…I rememebr it was election day, mustve been a sat niter, all these raiders fans with "The Greens" political posters

Latest posts

Back