What if..

Tiger_heart

Brooks becomes the "sacrificial lamb" and turns the media (and possibly our) attention to his demise more so than the much deeper problems within the club? In other words, I am not doubting that he needs to move on, but I am conscious of the fact that this does take attention away from what I think are associated issues - for example the lack of any organizational skills; the motivation on the field...you know, stuff we've been talking about since 2005...
Politicians are masters at the art of diverting attention.

What if.. Brooks went to Parramatta and Moses stayed at the Tigers? Would we now be fighting to get Brooks back, offering him the world? Would Moses' confidence be that shot that he looks a shadow of his former self? (Personally, I think no to both questions that I asked. Still think we prioritised the wrong players back then)

Brooks becomes the "sacrificial lamb" and turns the media (and possibly our) attention to his demise more so than the much deeper problems within the club? In other words, I am not doubting that he needs to move on, but I am conscious of the fact that this does take attention away from what I think are associated issues - for example the lack of any organizational skills; the motivation on the field...you know, stuff we've been talking about since 2005...
Politicians are masters at the art of diverting attention.

It's a bit hard for him to be a sacrificial lamb if he's been poor for almost 10 years and 200 first grade games.

There can be deeper problems at the club and Brooks can also be a terrible halfback who belongs in reserves. These two things aren't mutually exclusive. It is pretty clear at this point Brooks isn't and won't ever be a player that is a contributor to a successful team.

What if.. Woods stayed loyal? Instead of heading to his 5th club he would have became a club legend, Skando Mk II etc

Power of deduction.... If he's moved on and nothing changes onfield, then that tells us something....much like the thought him playing behind a better pack and nothing's changed tells us something
Sample size is a big difference though. The next guy coming in after Brooks would need time too.

Reynolds last year for eg (one of the best halfbacks in the last 20 years IMO) had an amazing year at the Broncos but they still managed to come 10th or so.

What if….
Wests and Balmain didn’t merge?
We’d mostly all be far happier now.
I know this topic will never die down, but on what do you base this on? It is not like West, as a stand alone entity, were exactly solid. I understand the nostalgia but I am not sure that both parties would be happier, particularly if one (or both) didn't exist at all, anymore.

... there were really fairies in the bottom of the garden?
(right beside a winning team!)

I know this topic will never die down, but on what do you base this on? It is not like West, as a stand alone entity, were exactly solid. I understand the nostalgia but I am not sure that both parties would be happier, particularly if one (or both) didn't exist at all, anymore.
They were both loser clubs with astonishing lack of success towards the end. If they had of both gone the way of Newtown instead of forming the monstrosity that they have become, the fans would be a lot happier today.

I say that because most of us still follow them out of some putrid sense of nostalgia and loyalty. We turn up week after week, year after year, decade after decade and are crushed in the same way everytime. We stick by them, but it is a heavily one way street.

What if ...... us long suffering fans have a team we can be proud of each and every game. At this stage we are likely to go back to back Wooden Spoons and I thought supporting Western Suburbs through the 1980's and 1990's was tough. At least they had players who tired and paid hardly anything to the current crop of players.

What if ...... us long suffering fans have a team we can be proud of each and every game. At this stage we are likely to go back to back Wooden Spoons and I thought supporting Western Suburbs through the 1980's and 1990's was tough. At least they had players who tired and paid hardly anything to the current crop of players.

As a Balmain supporter i watched my team win 4 wooden spoons and it sucked miserably however being a Magpie supporter would have been worse(17 of the dreadfull things).As supporters of a JV we have seen far more crap than our fair share and certainly don't want or need any more.
You are 100% right about those magpie sides having a dig each week as did my balmain sides when we were rubbish.We need more of what made our foundation clubs tick and that was fighting against adversity and NOT giving up.I hate losing but if my team plays their heart out each and every week i can live with it and be proud of them.
It's about time i saw that on the field from this side which is nowhere as bad as the results seem to show.The coaching is garbage and it shows on the field.Everyone of us supporters deserves better than this.
Apologies for the rant

They were both loser clubs with astonishing lack of success towards the end. If they had of both gone the way of Newtown instead of forming the monstrosity that they have become, the fans would be a lot happier today.

I say that because most of us still follow them out of some putrid sense of nostalgia and loyalty. We turn up week after week, year after year, decade after decade and are crushed in the same way everytime. We stick by them, but it is a heavily one way street.
Not sure Newtown fans, or Steelers (who are hardly mentioned when people talk about the Saints) or even the Bear fans are happy to be at best a feeder club (when compared to what they used to be), in a non professional league. Sure this keeps some sort of "identity" but the the longevity of the brand would surely fade away...if not disappear altogether, in the medium/long term. As for the "putrid sense of nostalgia" - yeah, that's one way to describe it. Another perhaps is the metal that forges us together. Rust and all.
Thank you for the discussion. Most enjoyable and civil!!

Back