What to do with Grubby?

this is a big call but i think IVAN, made his 1st BAD CALL yesterday, Josh should never been anywhere near the 1st grade team, after 10 min he was stuffed, the game for us changed with him coming on, he should have played ISP for 2-3 weeks to get up to speed

Agree with Tiger, he's not essential to us. The first 5 weeks proved that.

@ said:
this is a big call but i think IVAN, made his 1st BAD CALL yesterday, Josh should never been anywhere near the 1st grade team, after 10 min he was stuffed, the game for us changed with him coming on, he should have played ISP for 2-3 weeks to get up to speed

I tend to agree, he was blowing hard after only ten mins on!

@ said:

Fair call.
He doesn't make my 17 at the moment, a bench spot for halves insurance maybe but for mine if he's not at 6 he's not in the 17, we have better hookers than him and there's no way you split Benji and Brooks at the moment or maybe at all.
Yes I'd have Godinet in front of him as a bench 9.
It's funny because he's actually playing the role that I think Ivan had in mind for Benji, funny how a hamstring can change things.

@ said:

Yes we lost momentum, but I think it was a demonstration of good man management. To get the best from Reynolds he needs to feel part of the team. Brought him on when were in control and we managed to maintain it.
Trust that Ivan respected Reynolds enough as a seasoned player and our key signing that he deserved his chance to return on the bench. Its up to Reynolds now to either hold that spot and or push for a position in the starting side.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Don't know if anyone notice but he attempted a couple leg trips

I know I saw 1 of them and thought gee that’s his bad habit rearing. But in all honesty I think he needs a couple of games in ISP to get match fitness. As Eliajah is due back and would warrant at least a bench spot.

Didn't see any attempted leg trips myself. Would he be that stupid?

Yup 60th minute his attempt on the manly no 9…..it’s just that he gets wrong footed. But it’s a bad technique all the same.

I think 14 is his go and coming off the bench is fine. I do agree the fact he is our marquee does put a little bit of thought to play him. To me he is our 2nd best hooking option (I still think he offers more than MM or PG). Happy to have him there for a month and make an assessment. If a back goes down he can cover it, though I guess you can claim MCK can as well.

JRey .. I wouldn' be writting him just yet, when the poor bugger came on he was so excited to be on the field, and he wanted so much to prove to hies team mates why he is here, he basically exploded himself in the first 10 minutes he was on the paddock. He was so over excited, he probably busted a poofle valve pacing up and down the sideines .. !! I agree with all the other, give a week or two in reggies just to get some match fitness .. then bring him in the 17 .. he energy and entuathism that he brings to the team is enormous .. it actually rubs off to all the other players as well.

I noticed yesterday that his jersey had no writing/stitching on the front of his jersey stating his debut with the team ?? .. all the other teams have special writing on the players jersey when they have a debuting player or special appearance. (IE: 100th 200th game)

Manly were also going to come out hard in the 2nd half., However played DH for that period was always going to be up against it. In one way I'm glad Liddle didn't have to put his body on the line for 80 mins this early in the season.
Reynolds was very pumped and needed to be defending well in the middle. I'm glad Liddle was able to come back on and finish the game off.
I'm sure both players are better for the run in that game and both will probably play next week against the Knights. While Reynolds didn't go well in attack from DH. I still think he'll be the utility. Unless ET, Lawrence, Benji all are 100%. Then I'm not sure what will happen with Reynolds. I'd don't think many people would have seen this situation happen.

@ said:
He has to just keep playing that role off the bench and see where we're at in a few weeks.

To be brutally honest and no disrespect to him but right now we don't really need him, that's a sign of how good we're going right there.
We bought the heart and soul of another NRL club he was our major recruit and he can't make the team.
That's just the reality of how we're going at the moment.

Spot on TIGER
As much as his a Marquee signing he needs some time in Reserve Grade, Liddle was in control and he wasn't tired as we had multiple tries which maybe equals close to 10 minute break by the time you go to video ref and kick the goals and not much tackling was needed due to the 75% possession we had, but was a perfect time to bring Reynolds on and see what he brings but to be honest he ain't a hooker.
I would of gone with a Tim Grant on the bench as appose to Grub there.

The thing with Ivan that I have been most impressed with is his not afraid to make the hard calls, his dropped Nofo, Tui and Mcqueen and Grant haven't had a go yet and given Rochow a start ahead of other big names.

@ said:
Yeah I don't know….you can't split up the starting halves ....Reynolds brings a lot of energy and i like the way he was getting out of marker in D made a lot of back to back efforts....

So bench for now...

This

Think Reynolds needs match fitness and sharpen his competitive edge in reggies, i know it was his first hit out but he didnt look up to it he's no dummy half . I know Manly were pushing but he was the weakness and they exploited him. We looked disjointed when he came on marquee or not he needs to bide his time.

Keep Reynolds coming off the bench we need to get him match fit. Manly ran at him while he was on and ended up close to the top of tackles made in only 30 minutes of game time.

https://twitter.com/NBWT__/status/985639021228404736

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Settle down ….. for goodness sake everyone has an opinion on this site worth considering.
As far Reynolds ... he will fit in well enough and it’s a long season.
For yesterday he did well for the level of match fitness he had.

Don’t get your knickers in a knot mate, you need to settle down. I was responding to a post that said our squad is unbalanced and that Cleary was under pressure to play Reynolds. Which is my opinion, is that okay?

And my opinion is the squads unbalanced and there's pressure on the coach to play our highest paid new recruit.

Which also doesn't mean I don't want him in the team.

Stating your opinion is fine but there is no need to bring JT into it every single time…. He has nothing to do with this topic and people are getting Jack of it... Play a different tune for once... Move forward for Christ's sake

When you stop implying people have multiple accounts to back up opinions that differ to yours then I’m happy to bring up JT. Don’t play the moral high ground only when it suits you.

Back on topic we have had a hooker on the bench for every game and we are 5-1\. Unbalanced?? I don’t think so. While Reynolds is not match fit, he could play any position in our backline so adds cover there plus plays hooker which makes our squad more balanced. As for pressure to play Reynolds?? From who is this pressure being applied. He didn’t feel pressure to drop Nofa or lolohea , so why would that change wiTh Reynolds.

Sigh.
I mentioned a multiple account once, to one person. It had nothing to do with you.
You bring up JT almost on a daily basis to several members.. .. childishly inferring some members would not be happy with the success Cleary has brought. I doubt you can refrain from mentioning him again… We're all really tired of it.

I said it's an unbalanced squad... Where imo we have no real fullback and too many halves and hooker's.

Reynolds has never played wing centre or fullback as far as I know... He probably could play there if needed (how well though is another question) but he's like Lolohea... He's a 5/8.

Cleary would have possible pressure, from the board, the sponsors, the media ( or that that would bother him)
Reynolds is Clearys main recruit, he did not come cheap... Nofo etc are a different kettle of fish.

I'll leave you with the last word you so desperately seek, try not to mention you know who again.

i don't think ivan is under pressure to do anything. he has turned the club around and winning.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Settle down ….. for goodness sake everyone has an opinion on this site worth considering.
As far Reynolds ... he will fit in well enough and it’s a long season.
For yesterday he did well for the level of match fitness he had.

Don’t get your knickers in a knot mate, you need to settle down. I was responding to a post that said our squad is unbalanced and that Cleary was under pressure to play Reynolds. Which is my opinion, is that okay?

And my opinion is the squads unbalanced and there's pressure on the coach to play our highest paid new recruit.

Stating your opinion is fine but there is no need to bring JT into it every single time…. He has nothing to do with this topic and people are getting Jack of it... Play a different tune for once... Move forward for Christ's sake

When you stop implying people have multiple accounts to back up opinions that differ to yours then I’m happy to bring up JT. Don’t play the moral high ground only when it suits you.

Back on topic we have had a hooker on the bench for every game and we are 5-1\. Unbalanced?? I don’t think so. While Reynolds is not match fit, he could play any position in our backline so adds cover there plus plays hooker which makes our squad more balanced. As for pressure to play Reynolds?? From who is this pressure being applied. He didn’t feel pressure to drop Nofa or lolohea , so why would that change wiTh Reynolds.

See you later Tiger4life. Don't come back.

I really think that by seasons end we will be very happy to have Josh in our first grade squad.
Good things and good times only last for short periods and it would be highly unlikely for whatever the reason, that our current combinations continue to succeed throughout the long season.
Having our half’s covered with Reynolds, Gamble and possibly Godinet is great.

@ said:
I really think that by seasons end we will be very happy to have Josh in our first grade squad.
Good things and good times only last for short periods and it would be highly unlikely for whatever the reason, that our current combinations continue to succeed throughout the long season.
Having our half’s covered with Reynolds, Gamble and possibly Godinet is great.

Always something pops up around the corner, be it reps, suspensions or injuries (god forbid)
Its why we need depth
All good….I couldnt be happier :smiley:

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Sigh.
I mentioned a multiple account once, to one person. It had nothing to do with you.
You bring up JT almost on a daily basis to several members.. .. childishly inferring some members would not be happy with the success Cleary has brought. I doubt you can refrain from mentioning him again… We're all really tired of it.

I said it's an unbalanced squad... Where imo we have no real fullback and too many halves and hooker's.

Reynolds has never played wing centre or fullback as far as I know... He probably could play there if needed (how well though is another question) but he's like Lolohea... He's a 5/8.

Cleary would have possible pressure, from the board, the sponsors, the media ( or that that would bother him)
Reynolds is Clearys main recruit, he did not come cheap... Nofo etc are a different kettle of fish.

I'll leave you with the last word you so desperately seek, try not to mention you know who again.

I think the beauty of the guy is if Cleary did put him in reggies, he'd take it in his stride. Never have i seen a more selfless player in my life. No wonder Dogs fans loved him. He'd give you his last 5 dollars.

Staff online

Back