What's In The Media ~ Other Than Footy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRL teams Round 6: Wests Tigers make big changes, reveal plan to unleash Luke Brooks
Plenty were shocked when maligned playmaker Luke Brooks was named in a foreign position this week. But there is method to the madness.

Michael Carayannis
and
Brent Read
11 min read
April 13, 2022 - 4:03PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
184 comments

In a wide-ranging interview, Brooks spoke about the move, reacted to the criticism surrounding his form and addressed the prospect of being axed from the side.

Brooks acknowledged that after 177 top grade games it is time to turn over control of the side to Hastings.

Luke Brooks has conceded ownership of the Wests Tigers side to Jackson Hastings but the underfire five-eighth says his positional switch could help reignite his career.

Brooks also hit out at critics by declaring “why would I listen to what they say?”.

He will this week give up the No. 7 jersey he has largely occupied since his first full season in the top grade in 2014 and switch to five-eighth to accommodate Hastings.

“Yeah, he is going to be first receiver and the prominent half,” Brooks said. “I’m going to play off the back of him. I’m looking forward to that new role. He adds a lot to our attack. He is a good talker. He leads the team around well. That takes a fair bit of pressure off me

“Madge (coach Michael Maguire) and I spoke about what works for me and gets me to play my best footy. That’s running the ball. The thought behind it is to get me running the ball.”

Brooks has been largely playing as a second receiver in recent weeks with Hastings suspended. Much of the Tigers winless start has been lumped on the shoulders of Maguire and Brooks.

Brooks said the critics did not bother him.

“I’m off all socials,” Brooks said. “It’s hard this day and age to fully stay away. I just do my best to not listen to any of it. That’s their job, to sell newspapers and get TV ratings. If it’s on me, it’s on me. It’s part of the game.

“I’ve learnt to not worry about it. A lot of the people writing stuff have never played the game. They are having their two cents. Why would I listen to what they say? The opinions which matter to me are the people which matter at this club.

“I’m confident in my abilities. There are a few things in my game I need to fix. That will help me take opportunities that I’m not taking. I’m still confident in what I can do … I’m blocking out all the outside noise. Over the past few years it’s become the norm. I’m used to it.”

Brooks hopes the positional switch will return him to his 2018 form where he won halfback of the year after Benji Marshall largely took on the running of the side.

Hooker Jake Simpkin backed Hastings to direct the team.

“Jacko is very vocal,” Simpkin said. “It makes my job and the other boys’ job easier when he takes control like he does. It helps.”

Injured co-captain Adam Doueihi, whose return is still about two months away, has a mortgage on the No. 6 jersey. But Brooks had a blunt retort when asked if he feared joining the likes Tyrone Peachey, Jacob Liddle, Oliver Gildart and Ken Maumalo in getting dropped.

“I don’t know … not really,” Brooks said. “If it was to happen it’ll happen.”

The conjecture around the 27-year-old has continued since the off-season when he was linked with a move to Newcastle. He denied he had ever requested a release

“I have this year and next year to go,” Brooks said. “I’m committed. Anyone who knows me, knows if I’m here I’m going to be fully committed.”

MADGE’S DESPERATE DICE THROW
Michael Maguire has made one last-ditch effort to revive under fire half Luke Brooks by switching him out of the No.7 jersey as Tigers bosses defend Justin Pascoe’s decision to take a holiday.
Maguire has thrown his faith behind Jackson Hastings to turn the club’s fortunes around against the Eels on Monday.

Hastings will start at halfback for the first time in the NRL in six years with the struggling Brooks shifted to five-eighth as the club battles a winless start to the year.

While Maguire was trying to work out how to revive his side, chief executive Pascoe is on leave.

It is understood the family holiday was originally planned for the off-season but was cancelled twice because of Covid-19. Pascoe has still been working and has spoken with Maguire and head of football Tim Sheens, despite officially being on holidays.

Tigers chair Lee Hagipantelis defended Pascoe and refuted comparisons to Prime Minister Scott Morrison taking a holiday during the bushfires.

“It is a holiday that has been delayed a number of times due to Covid,” Hagipantelis said.

“A holiday that he has planned with his family for quite some time.

“He wrote to the board last week. The board said enjoy the holiday with your family. I don’t know how his presence would make much difference.

“I spoke to him numerous times. I know he has spoken to Tim and Madge (Michael Maguire). This is not a SCOMO (Morrison) moment. He is outside the jurisdiction but constantly on the phone. It is a question of perspective. From our perspective, it is not an issue.”

Brooks may have survived the chop but that did not stop Maguire from making widespread changes to his outfit, with co-captains Ken Maumalo and Tyrone Peachey dropped alongside Jacob Liddle and English recruit Oliver Gildart.

Jake Simpkin has earned a reprieve at hooker, with backrower Luke Garner moved to the centres. While Maguire has wielded the axe, the Dragons are staying patient by keeping their youngsters out of the top squad.
Lauren, our no1 DT Insider 😁👍

“Madge (coach Michael Maguire) and I spoke about what works for me and gets me to play my best footy. That’s running the ball. The thought behind it is to get me running the ball.”

So Madge and Brooks only just started talking about this change that everyone on the forum has been saying for at least the last 2 seasons.
Forum geniuses.

Brains trust.

buzz gave us a month of grace for that win,and went straight on 2 ragging out Newcastle.hahaha

So what. Doesn't alter the fact that Brooks has never been a 7 to move a team around the park and has always been a running 6. Its ludicrous that Madge has persisted with him so long as an organising 7. Almost rates as high as Sheensy's Johnny Cronk moment.
Sheens played Bunji at 7 for yrs... All hail Sheens revival after Madge... Bunji didnt even learn the game of League until after he returned from Yawnion, forced to because his body couldnt flick-pass until he was 40.

Robert Lui was the last time Benji had a 7. If Madge is a fool for persisting with Brooks at 7, Sheens is an Imbecile who cooked us worse than Cleary.

Short memories...

Sheens played Bunji at 7 for yrs... All hail Sheens revival after Madge... Bunji didnt even learn the game of League until after he returned from Yawnion, forced to because his body couldnt flick-pass until he was 40.

Robert Lui was the last time Benji had a 7. If Madge is a fool for persisting with Brooks at 7, Sheens is an Imbecile who cooked us worse than Cleary.

Short memories...
Sheens is an imbecile.

Short memories...
Hmmm amazing what a difference it makes giving the organising to someone else.

Ampol r splashing cash on rebranding ,logo be good on back of jersey with KFC,preferre either iether of those up on front

Is Pascoe still on holiday? If so, perhaps he should work remotely for the rest of the season 🤔😉😂

I’m sorry Paws it goes both ways. If you continually put your hand up for the 7 jersey you have to take with it the responsibility of running the team.

If your suggesting that Brooks was playing 5/8 all those years ago with Marshall directing then why didn’t Cleary just name him in the 5/8 jersey.

I’ll tell you why, his kicking game is 10x better than Marshall’s ever non existent kicking game.
And generally your 7 is your best general play kicker.

I’m still not convinced that we won’t be relying on Brooks’ kicking game with Hastings at halfback.

I’m hoping I’m pleasantly surprised.

If anything what Madge has done since he has started at Wests Tigers is back Brooks claims to be the teams halfback and loaded him up with all the tools to achieve this.
Co Captain, Goal Kicker, main ball distributor.

Would you have done the same or just said “sorry mate your a 6 I’m recruiting a halfback”
Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. Cleary had Brooks playing as a running half when he was at the club. The results speak for themselves and as far as I am aware he had 7 on his back. I don't understand this hang-up about whether you have a 6 or 7 on your back. It doesn't impact how Keary and Walker play for the Roosters.

I
Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. Cleary had Brooks playing as a running half when he was at the club. The results speak for themselves and as far as I am aware he had 7 on his back. I don't understand this hang-up about whether you have a 6 or 7 on your back. It doesn't impact how Keary and Walker play for the Roosters.
I actually think it does, I think both halves are great players but Keary has lost a bit of his eyes up playing without having an organising half alongside him.
We could of kept the numbers the same as the first two games, haven’t you noticed though that the style we play with is not left and right side halves but with one on ball half and one floating half?
Either way Jackson is now the on ball half which I feel is a 7 role and I wouldn’t be alone in that thought.

From today's Tele -

A monumental blow up erupted at Triple M’s Sydney radio studio with anchor Anthony Maroon storming off the show.
Respected broadcaster Maroon took umbrage when sports journalist James Hooper jokingly questioned the anchor over cash jobs and the Australian Tax Office.

Gordon Tallis and Paul Kent were also in the studio.

“Mate I don’t think it is funny, it has already caused me a lot of grief,” Maroon said as the awkward exchange played out on air on Sunday. “I am not putting up with it anymore. I don’t like it. I have asked many many times for it to stop. I am saying here and now, I am not even joking … I tell you what, I will leave you guys with it okay.”

Kent took over anchoring the show for the remaining hour before the Dragons v Tigers game at the weekend.

Earlier, Maroon warned his co-hosts that he would share stories about them that they don’t want made public if they continued to push the issue. As they continued, he detailed that Hooper is unable to drive after losing his licence and made reference to Tallis.

Hooper said: “Hang on a minute, there is some breaking news here, I just got a text message … ‘hello this is the ATO, the Australian Tax Office, we have an inquiry’.”

Maroon responded: “I don’t have a problem with the ATO, I welcome it mate but I am just wondering when are you going to be back on the road Hoops?”

Hooper then said: “Why are you jumping around like a cat on a hot tin roof?”

The incident escalated dramatically from there.

“I am fed up with it,” Maroon said. “I have asked you on air, I have asked you off air, I have asked you to stop and now I have told you I am hitting back. If I have got to cop it every week for five years, lets have it out on air. This is absolute bull***. We might get a walkout.”

Maroon said he had raised the issue with management but had heard “crickets”.

“Lets keep going boys because when it comes to you three, I live a very boring life,” Maroon said. “I am blowing up because I am sick to death of it. Now I have known for three years you have not had a licence and I have not said anything on air. I have warned you 15 times, I don’t like this. I have been on air for 32 years, I am a professional. This particular issue I have probably raised on air and off air I don’t know 100 times. I have even sent emails to the powers that be … nothing. It never stops.”

Hooper again pushed, justifying the humour.

“You know the more you ask us to stop it, the funnier it gets,” Hooper mused.

Confidential has reached out to Triple M representatives and Maroon for comment.

2GB mornings host Ray Hadley played the exchange on his show today, criticising Triple M management at Southern Cross Austereo for not intervening sooner.

“He (Maroon) says in the audio he has been to management and they have done nothing,” Hadley told listeners. “Knowing what I know of Southern Cross management I am not at all surprised, they are as weak as water. There is no leadership there and there should be.”

Describing the situation as distressing and “embarrassing”, Hadley added: “What happened on Sunday should not have happened.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/e...w/news-story/85e6fcb83ef2859d30cef4a8538beb51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Back