What's In The Media ~ Other Than Footy

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this was the guy we pinned our hopes on to make the finals.
What the @$$%
I’ve never picked up on it until just now, but if the touchie has his flag in the air, then he’s saying Reynolds ran into touch, and threw the pass when he’s in touch, meaning the ball was dead. So it shouldn’t have been a penalty. From the position the ref was in, he was in no position to call if he was out or in and should have taken the touchies call.

Origin is still there. I need to be good individually but so does my team.

Noff still blaming the team for him missing origin. He ain't playing origin but dreams are free I guess.

Indigenous players make up 13 per cent of NRL so why are there almost no coaches?​

Adam PengillyFebruary 11, 2022 — 8.00pm
Ronnie Griffiths has an old saying he defers to: you can’t be what you can’t see.
So when asked, as the only Indigenous coach on the staff of an NRL team, who his coaching idols were, Griffiths only really knows what he has seen.
2:19

NRL All Stars to host vaccine pop-up​

A COVID-19 vaccination pop-up clinic will be present at the NRL All Stars this weekend.
“I grew up in the sheds of the Newcastle All Blacks and my dad [Rick] was a player-coach with them,” the Wests Tigers assistant says. “His coaching philosophy was bestowed upon me without me even knowing.”
Three decades on, that same kid is now the only Aboriginal coach blazing a trail he shouldn’t have to.
It’s an uncomfortable truth for a game blessed with a large and talented Indigenous player pool that Griffiths is really the only First Nations mentor with a men’s NRL team.
Still, he only got his chance when he volunteered to drive long hours and work without pay initially, an aspiring coach in the Newcastle competition just wanting a chance in an NRL system.

Indigenous All-Stars and Wests Tigers assistant Ronnie GriffithsWests Tigers
He met Tigers coach Michael Maguire at an Indigenous coaches conference organised by Dean Widders a few years ago. Phil Gould and Craig Fitzgibbon also spoke to around 15 aspiring First Nations mentors, and the seminar continues to be run by Kari, a foundation to support the Aboriginal community.
Griffiths organised a meeting with Maguire a short time later, and then would rise some days at 3.50am to drive from his home in Newcastle to Sydney and then back again, just to get a foot in the door. He’s now part of Maguire’s permanent staff.
But when he looks around the rest of the NRL, Griffiths finds it difficult to understand why he’s seemingly alone.
“As for straight-out NRL systems, I can’t think of any other [Indigenous coaches],” Griffiths shrugs. “It’s a blight on the game, to be honest. It’s probably just not being afforded the opportunity. Opportunity leads to success and I don’t know if they’ve been afforded the opportunities.”

Arthur Beetson is the last Indiegnous man to be a head coach of a men’s top-grade side.Anthony Johnson
Not since the late Arthur Beetson coached the Roosters and Sharks in the late 1980s and early 1990s has a men’s top-grade side been led by an Indigenous mentor.
In the first few days after Peter V’landys assumed the chairmanship of the Australian Rugby League Commission, he listened intently in a meeting with senior Indigenous players, who were simmering over a number of issues, including racist online attacks at Latrell Mitchell.
V’landys left the meeting vowing to help the players educate the community on Indigenous issues, ringing newspaper editors for support, and also had an appreciation for the players’ desire to have more Indigenous representation in the coaching ranks.
“The players themselves have asked us, ‘how do we bring some Indigenous coaches through?’ And we’re working on a plan to do that,” V’landys said. “To give due credit, it was the players who raised it with us. They want to see a path for Indigenous coaches - and it has my 100 per cent support.”
Former NSW State of Origin coach Laurie Daley, who is using Griffiths as an assistant coach alongside Justin Hodges, Matt Bowen and Ken Nagas for his Indigenous All Stars side before Saturday night’s game against the Maori All Stars at Parramatta, has been the highest-profile Aboriginal coach since Beetson.
The NRL says 13 per cent of its men’s competition last year was made up of players who identify as Indigenous, while in 2022 its 10 per cent with a number of roster spots yet. That’s compared to just four per cent of the Australian population.
The likes of Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Preston Campbell, Bowen, Hodges, Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Josh Addo-Carr have been among the game’s best and most celebrated in the past 20 years.
But even finding an Indigenous coach, let alone celebrating one, has been almost impossible during the same time.
“A lot of Indigenous players are seen as naturally talented, playing off the cuff and doing things they’re naturally gifted at,” Parramatta’s NRLW coach Widders says.
“Maybe they’re marked as coaches that way too. They’re seen as not having the traditional strength or being disciplined and dedicated, working hard. But I think the players are unfairly targeted [with that stereotype].
We need a targeted approach at this because we should all be looking at it and saying, ‘that’s not good enough’
Dean Widders
“We need a targeted approach at this because we should all be looking at it and saying, ‘that’s not good enough’.”
Daley, who has been Indigenous All Stars coach since 2011, has listened closely to his players speak about culture and rugby league each year when they come into camp for the annual fixture.
Walker, who made himself unavailable for this year’s game due to a disrupted pre-season at South Sydney, openly harbours an ambition to coach when he retires, and has told his club and Jason Demetriou as much.

Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell at the 2021 Indigenous and Maori All-Stars match.NRL Photos
Hodges, Bowen, Ty Williams and Scott Prince are also furthering their coaching careers at lower levels in Queensland.
“Those coaches understand the [Indigenous] culture, what the players are like and what makes them tick to get the best out of them, that’s why that connection is so important to them,” Daley says.
“Like anything, if you’re not from that culture you don’t understand. That’s not a criticism, it’s just a fact of life. If you’re not Indigenous, you don’t know what means most to Indigenous people. You can think you know, but you don’t.
“The players are certainly capable and when they speak footy in this environment, a safe environment, they’re as intelligent as anyone. It would be good if we could do more. Someone has got to take a gamble on them and trust them.”
The players are certainly capable and when they speak footy in this environment, a safe environment, they’re as intelligent as anyone
Laurie Daley
The NRLW, due to begin later this month, might be a viable pathway for Indigenous coaches. Widders will join St George Illawarra’s Jamie Soward as two of the six head coaches.
The other four teams all have a person on either their coaching or high performance staff who is Indigenous, a far cry from the men’s competition where Gomeroi man Griffiths and South Sydney’s head of performance Travis Touma are the highest-profile First Nations people at the 16 clubs.
Jillaroos coach Brad Donald has been a driving force behind the Indigenous coaches pathways, but another long-time league official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, says much more needs to be done.
“Someone needs to put an end to it and say, ‘we’re going to invest in this?’,” they said. “There needs to be the same level of commitment for players to be coaches as there is for them to be ambassadors, and then you would get a similar outcome on the field. Once they see Aboriginal coaches around, they’ll aspire to be like that.

St George Illawarra’s NRLW coach Jamie Soward.Wolter Peeters
“But at the moment there’s no pathway and no-one to follow.”
The man sitting in Daley’s coaching box tonight might be the one to change that.
Griffiths knows he’s had to work harder than most to get where he is, remembering when he used to juggle work in the coal mines to get his start at the Tigers.
He hopes others can follow, and don’t have to do it as hard as he has.
“I know money makes the world go around when it comes to rugby league, but if clubs are willing to be brave and set up specific programs for Aboriginal coaches they’ll reap the rewards in the end,” he says.
“Part of my coaching philosophy is to provide a safe and inclusive environment free from prejudice for all. I envisage clubs and the game will adopt a similar approach, providing an environment to foster diversity among all positions within the game.
“Madge [Maguire] is passionate about people in general. It doesn’t matter what race you are, he believes in fairness and equality and wants to provide opportunities for everyone.
“I know Aboriginal players play the game so well, they’ve got an innate understanding of it. There are plenty of talented coaches, they just need an opportunity. Because for me, it was a learned behaviour [from my dad].
“And he’s still the greatest coach I’ve ever had or known.”

The season has not even started and their reporting seems slanted, For a team that is devoid of finals experience, they rate exceedingly well hence the free to air games and Fox plays on that notion. If I wasn't teaching at a senior college, I would have started the unit on media bias with my Y10's. I would start with a "tag" on a search engine, eg)LEADERSHIP GROUP and possibly NRL, and I would filter the date as to get a 3 month snapshot of last years season. That should get a nice unbiased selection of articles written by a range of writers and media outlets. The point being that many a club would have had this structure at one point, but look at the reporting, look at the narrative, most importantly, the news story for the WT(leadership group) is littered with negative connotations without a ball being kicked. Just have a look at how BJ Leilua was portrayed through the media, and compare that to the reporting after his split from WT. I am not a fan of leadership groups but at least I would wait till I had some evidence from the club I was reporting on before I deemed it a failure.

The season has not even started and their reporting seems slanted, For a team that is devoid of finals experience, they rate exceedingly well hence the free to air games and Fox plays on that notion. If I wasn't teaching at a senior college, I would have started the unit on media bias with my Y10's. I would start with a "tag" on a search engine, eg)LEADERSHIP GROUP and possibly NRL, and I would filter the date as to get a 3 month snapshot of last years season. That should get a nice unbiased selection of articles written by a range of writers and media outlets. The point being that many a club would have had this structure at one point, but look at the reporting, look at the narrative, most importantly, the news story for the WT(leadership group) is littered with negative connotations without a ball being kicked. Just have a look at how BJ Leilua was portrayed through the media, and compare that to the reporting after his split from WT. I am not a fan of leadership groups but at least I would wait till I had some evidence from the club I was reporting on before I deemed it a failure.
Lankan, foxsports are no different to school yard bullies. You get more info and sometimes better insight into a particular topic here on the Forum. 😀

I agree CC, but this just adds to the public perception of our club, which influences the fickle generation of players that we are trying to recruit.

Origin is still there. I need to be good individually but so does my team.

Noff still blaming the team for him missing origin. He ain't playing origin but dreams are free I guess.
I liked this quote..
“It’s no secret the best defensive sides challenge to win the competition every year,” Nofoaluma said.

Its out the secret is out! 😂

This is one of the most bizzare and potentially defamatory news articles that i've read about the WT.

I was unable to copy and paste it here, but the link is at the bottom.

Here is some parts of it,

The Betoota Advocate
By, Wendell Hussey

NRL Politely decline the Wests Tigers request to be Granted 5 captains challenges A Game

The news article also says that "plenty of other clubs laughing at the debacle" but the article does not name the source of the comment or who requested it, it just says the "Wests Tigers", but the worrying thing is that P. V'landys apparently has responded to this request and even mocks the W Tigers.

Peter V'landys
"Look i know the Tigers need all the help they can get but come on be real"

"We cant let them have 5 captains challenges because they've come up with some weird leadership policy"

"They aren't the Sydney Roosters" he laughed

"Besides whats the point of them finishing above their customary 9th position on the ladder?"

"They finish 8th and they get 50 put on them by the Panthers in week one of the finals?"

This all sounds unbelievable,
If this is all true then i think our expert in law Mr Lee H will have a very strong case against P V'Landys.

This is one of the most bizzare and potentially defamatory news articles that i've read about the WT.

The Betoota Advocate
By, Wendell Hussey

NRL Politely decline the Wests Tigers request to be Granted 5 captains challenges A Game

The news article also says that "plenty of other clubs laughing at the debacle" but the article does not name the source of the comment or who requested it, it just says the "Wests Tigers", but the worrying thing is that P. V'landys apparently has responded to this request and even mocks the W Tigers.

Peter V'landys

"We cant let them have 5 captains challenges because they've come up with some weird leadership policy"

"Besides whats the point of them finishing above their customary 9th position on the ladder?"

"They finish 8th and they get 50 put on them by the Panthers in week one of the finals?"

If this is all true then i think our expert in law Mr Lee H will have a very strong case against P V'Landys.

It is satire from a very well known source

The Betoota Advocate
By, Wendell Hussey

Peter V'landys

You might wanna Google Betoota Advocate mate. Don't take anything they write seriously.

You might wanna Google Betoota Advocate mate. Don't take anything they write seriously.
I have been cautious and i haven't taken it seriously, while they haven't named a source at the WT, They can name and say P V'Landys said this and said that?
It's just bizzare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back