#13 Lock

probably the most crucial preseason Matamua will ever have as a Wests Tiger. really needs to work on his intent defensively and working on when to pass and when to cart it up.

if he brains it and plays well in the trials he will probably make his way into the 17 for the beginning of the season. ideal scenario is we keep things tight and kick long in the first 20 or so with Pole starting at 13 with Justin then coming on and allowing us to play wider and exploit overlaps.

if he fails to fire he will be overtaken by Laulili'i and likely never recover. it's very much on a knife's edge.
Has he ever “brained it” in any grade?
He came with a big rep but I don’t think I’ve seen him get out of a canter?
Also I don’t think the club has managed him well to many times picked in the 20 for NRL and not getting enough game time. He needed a full year in Cup playing full games and only picked for NRL if his form deserves it and we need him in the 17.

From what i've seen of him in FG he looks a million miles away, the club obviously rate him im just not seeing it. Others will have seen more of him in lower grades and might be able to comment more but imo i'd be looking at other options.

From what i've seen of him in FG he looks a million miles away, the club obviously rate him im just not seeing it. Others will have seen more of him in lower grades and might be able to comment more but imo i'd be looking at other options.
I've watched him a fair bit through the lower grades, mostly cup this year. I'd say he could do with a bit more of NSW Cup under his belt and just bettering his craft. He is only 20, so there is no need to rush but definitely has a future in this side. Defensively, he is quite sound and attacking wise, again, could do with a bit of polishing. During Jersey Flegg he had a pretty decent season, shifted from the edge to lock from time to time. But I agree with you, he is not quite ready, though anything could happen during preseason and wouldn't be surprised to see him in the starting 13 if he cements himself.

Definition: Locks are forwards that play at the back of the scrum and are often the hardest-working player on the team, because they need to be fit and mobile, and combine size & strength with ball skills and an ability to step/break the line. Defensively, they'll often make more tackles than any other player.

What type of lock do you think this team needs?

We've been playing front rowers in this position over the past few seasons - Twal, Joffa & Fonua.

Do you consider the lock a third prop?
Or would you prefer more of a ball player.

My favourite #13 are players like Elijah Taylor & Dene Halatau - backrowers with some ball playing ability and the potential to play hooker.
an ideal lock for me is in the mould of Victor Radley, Isaiah Yeo, Cameron Murray. All three can mix it with the big men, but also have ballplaying ability. We need a lock of this type IMO.

I'll throw a name in that is rarely mentioned, but the Halatau reference got me thinking...

Jake Simpkin.

Willing defensive player. Scoots from dummy half. If he's going to be in the club, what is his role going to be? I'd much rather a back-up hooker that can handle a dual role.
Halatau at his best could run through a brick wall. Don’t think Jake has it in him.

an ideal lock for me is in the mould of Victor Radley, Isaiah Yeo, Cameron Murray. All three can mix it with the big men, but also have ballplaying ability. We need a lock of this type IMO.

Kit Laulilii is like that. Tough as nails, plays like a piece if granite yet has great ball skill and ability to play straight, opening up space for his halves.

Brad Clyde was my favourite lock at the time, hard running and very well balanced and a ferocious defender
Pretty much all we saw back then on TV was Brisbane & Raiders
Nik Kosef was a beaut too. Pretty sure he played lock before eventually moving into the 2nd row. His knees prevented him from being even better.
Jason Smith and Jim Dymock were great on both sides of the ball too.

Seems like Kit is next man up but I think Pole can do a job there next year or two.I thought he made us a bit too predictable last year, but hopefully the spine this year can produce enough and Pole can just focus on running hard and tackling all day. Otherwise Seyfarth is probably not the worst option, either way everyone needs to take a step up.

Seems like Kit is next man up but I think Pole can do a job there next year or two.I thought he made us a bit too predictable last year, but hopefully the spine this year can produce enough and Pole can just focus on running hard and tackling all day. Otherwise Seyfarth is probably not the worst option, either way everyone needs to take a step up.
Not sure big Lexi Seyfarth has got a step-up in him.38e4df0e-8546-4d61-832b-c2e6cc92c04d_text.gif

Last edited:
Ray Price and Wayne Pearce could go all day and had great cover defence. Don’t think the locks of the 80’s had the ball playing of modern players like Isaiah Yeo and Cameron Murray. The defence is so good these days you need someone with offloading or passing aspect at lock.

Ben Kennedy for me was the best lock I've seen
Read an article on him once cant recall if he was still playing or had retired, it was on the sacrifices hed make just to walk let alone play, up at 3am every night icing his knees to reduce inflammation...I think at the end of his career he wasnt training at all....one tough hombre

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back