2023 Expectations

Just realised one thing looking forward to
Won't have to listen to Kent in a few weeks
He's the most bombastic person I've seen on TV
I watch NRL360 to hear what the others have to say but he won't let anyone get a word in
He talks like he is the only one who knows anything

I watch NRL360 to hear what the others have to say but he won't let anyone get a word in

Compared to most of the other journos on there he would be the equivalent of Einstein

I got a great expectation
roosters bait Latrel and he gets sent off again and doesn’t play finals footy , ya ya
hears hoping

Remember when Lee A did a review into Madge?

People are critical of Pascoe and Lee, I am not but that Review I am. It seemed that Lee took 24 hours, looked at some paperwork and said Madge is safe.

Yes we can't keep blaming Madge. Particularly we need to address why high performers come to wests tigers and lower their performance instead of raising it.
Seriously:
Reynolds, Packer, Mats, Tamou, Roberts, BJ.

These were all premium signings. I get it if one or two did not perform. I also get them under-performing when we have paid overs. Every one of those players above should have been starting in first grade every week, Every one! The only name I know that was a premium signing and actually was selected each week was Mbye (I expected him to crash and burn, Why why why... In fairness Mbye actually performed better then I expected..).

Particularly James Tamou, you may not agree with every name above but James Tamou has been in the Grand finals for 2 clubs. He was the experienced player that built the Penrith forward pack. This should have been the signing that builds our front row, instead FLAT.

^That's a WT problem. We need to identify why this has happened and what we need to change to correct this. I was hoping Nathan Cayless would have helped. A tackling coach is a good start.
The only one of those players who was wanted by their clubs was Packer the rest were told to look elsewhere because their best was done.
Roberts cost nothing and worth a risk the rest were all terrible recruiting outcomes - Packerlino / Reynolds spent more time injured or in reserves and were the highest paid players in the club. Thanks Ivan. And then they made the same mistake with BJ after Stuart told him he wasnt FG standard - red flags everywhere with that one - dumb Maguire/Hartigan.
Hopefully the days of the retirement fund players is over - Lord knows we have been burnt enough by those signings

You’ll never see Kent move out from behind the bench .. the bench is taller. Little man with a complex.

The team next year even without any signings is light years better than what’s out there now. It’s no where near a finals team though.

1. Laurie
2. Nofa
3. Naden
4. Tupou/Toa
5. Maumalo
6. Douihei
7. Brooks
8. Utoikamanu
9. Api
10. Ofehengaue
11. Papalli
12. Matamua
13. Hastings
14. Pole
15. Rua
16. Musgrove
17. Tumeth

We need another edge second rower, centre and an experienced prop at a minimum next year. We need to attract talent similar to the Api and Papalli signings. In addition a few of these kids have to come through each year and move out some existing starters
Add Twal, Blore, Talau and Nu Brown.

As far as the squad goes, we are short on 1 or 2 back rowers and a first grade standard prop.

Unless something comes up over the off season, I’d be looking at Fifita and Wade Graham for one season. They’ll plug some holes until more players come onto the market.

Good point. Nu Brown on the bench would cover hooker and lock. As for the other three benchies: Maybe Musgrove, Twal? Pole? Dias? ...I think we need to recruit at least one more impact player off the bench.
Impact bench player...how bout TPJ ? Links back up with offenhague from Broncos.

The only one of those players who was wanted by their clubs was Packer the rest were told to look elsewhere because their best was done.
Roberts cost nothing and worth a risk the rest were all terrible recruiting outcomes - Packerlino / Reynolds spent more time injured or in reserves and were the highest paid players in the club. Thanks Ivan. And then they made the same mistake with BJ after Stuart told him he wasnt FG standard - red flags everywhere with that one - dumb Maguire/Hartigan.
Hopefully the days of the retirement fund players is over - Lord knows we have been burnt enough by those signings
Pretty much all our signings follow that MO.
Player is unwanted at their club and others.
We usually get that player when we’re not competing with other clubs.
Don’t know why we’re not on the front foot with recruitment? Non selective with targets? Poor third party deals? No vision to sell, or we lack the skill to sell it? Club has developed a poor reputation among players maybe?
Got me stumped, but we are reactionary knee jerkers with our recruitment. I don’t expect this will change, but hopefully we have stopped making announcements of our failures in recruitment.

Injury free, I expect us around 8-12. If we made the 8 it would be a miracle but a welcome one.

If we add Klemmer and Lenui we go 8 if not 10//12
we need to match the power of the top teams who have very strong packs
cows ,( eels not so much now ) Riff , South’s ,( Melb maybe not now as well ) Roosters , match them you go well .

Hopefully, we will sign at lest 3 aggressive props (a replacement for for Twal, Seyfarth, Musgrove), and 2 second rowers (replacement for the LL, depth)🙏

My only thoughts on the recruitment in previous years has been that for instance Packer,J Rey,Mats etc were counting on playing under Ivan and he jumped ship midstream..As far as the last few years goes,Madge did clear the deck and recruited his players that wanted to play under him and he was sacked before his contract was up..Im not sticking up for Madge,but overall he had difficult circumstances to work through as well...The best thing is he has got us Api and Papa for this year with more money to spend and with a couple of more quality players purchased we could still be a surprise packet in 2023...heres hoping for the best....

For the start I would be happy if we achieve these kpis: (I don't ask for too much ;))
1) Defence: 1st in tackle effectiveness;
2) Defence: minimum post tackle meters;
3) Defence: Lowest missed tackles;
4) Defence: Least tries received;
5) Defence: Fastest line speed;
5) Attack: Best in the meters kicked;
6) Dominate Easts, Penrith, Storm, Canberra in forwards;

For the start I would be happy if we achieve these kpis: (I don't ask for too much ;))
1) Defence: 1st in tackle effectiveness;
2) Defence: minimum post tackle meters;
3) Defence: Lowest missed tackles;
4) Defence: Least tries received;
5) Defence: Fastest line speed;
5) Attack: Best in the meters kicked;
6) Dominate Easts, Penrith, Storm, Canberra in forwards;
Did anyone hear the stats produced GF night that Penrith are ranked 16th in post contact metres ...but ranked No 1 in play the ball speed

Hope you are reading Benji ...Sheenius ....Robbie

Is it possible we chop the arms off any players who arm grab in defence ....might need a top 140 players instead of Top 30 next season

I heard a stat once where no team that has had 5 changes to their top 13 side from the previous year has ever made the 8 in the first year after the changes.
With Api & Isaiah guaranteed to be in the top 13
We can only really change 2 more positions to have any shot at the 8
Based on all the talk recently about who we may get next year, I have a feeling that we will have 5 or 6 changes and we will have to wait until 2024 to be any real shot of making the 8

Members online

Back