2023 Pre Season

Does anyone know how Liam Scolari is going after last year's knee surgery, Anyone seen him at training???
Scolari was there yesterday. Made a couple of hits on his opposite (despite it being semi-contact - jamming just as the ball reached). Looked very fit if not huge - Sheens was talking to him from the sideline as he did with the other outside backs.

Has a big task ahead of him only just getting back as we have plenty of options.

Currently, off the top of my head, wingers we have include Kenny, Nofo, Tupou, Ngutlik, Toa, Staines, Kepoa, Hill, Peni - so many! There maybe more.

We should have some good wingers in KOE this year.

Scolari was there yesterday. Made a couple of hits on his opposite (despite it being semi-contact - jamming just as the ball reached). Looked very fit if not huge - Sheens was talking to him from the sideline as he did with the other outside backs.

Has a big task ahead of him only just getting back as we have plenty of options.

Currently, off the top of my head, wingers we have include Kenny, Nofo, Tupou, Ngutlik, Toa, Staines, Kepoa, Hill, Peni - so many! There maybe more.

Thanks Thaiger
Scolari's a very good defender when I watched him on the wing, hope he has a injury free 23 and our whole squad, 2022 was a bad injury year

Going to be really interesting to see who sits higher up in Sheens' pecking order come round 1. I reckon trials might be quite telling with who gets a bit more game time. For me, I hope Ngutlik and Hill make the KOE side as I want to see some real speed in our teams!

Going to be really interesting to see who sits higher up in Sheens' pecking order come round 1. I reckon trials might be quite telling with who gets a bit more game time. For me, I hope Ngutlik and Hill make the KOE side as I want to see some real speed in our teams!
They both look very promising to me too. Genuine pace to burn.

Last edited:
Whilst I am in prediction mode and just call me "Butter" because I'm on a roll (after my Burton call 3 years ago - took me that long to get one right), watching some of the gun 2021 Jersey Flegg players together training yesterday, Kade Hill reminded me why he shows promise. I think he is a big chance to debut in 2023 at some stage. (Everyone fire away at will!).

From that undefeated side, only Hill, (Kade), Hill (Jordan), Aden Perry, Israel Ogden and Liam Scolari have remained at the club (& coach Chops Lambkins) who rates these guys highly I understand.

Not sure whether any of the others have kicked on.

Just shows you the long hard road to even get a chance to play NRL. Nice to get excited by youth but doesn't always work out even for these.

I still believe though, that like Apple when they were brainstorming, their philosophy was that ideas can be sometimes crushed too early so it's important to be patient.

For all his critics, I think Sheens gets this.

Last edited:
Whilst I am in prediction mode and just call me "Butter" because I'm on a roll (after my Burton call 3 years ago - took me that long to get one right), watching some of the gun 2021 Jersey Flegg players together training yesterday, Kade Hill reminded me why he shows promise. I think he is a big chance to debut in 2023 at some stage. (Everyone fire away at will!).

From that undefeated side, only Hill, (Kade), Hill (Jordan), Aden Perry, Israel Ogden and Liam Scolari have remained at the club (& coach Chops Lambkins) who rates these guys highly I understand.

Just shows you the long hard road to even get a chance to play NRL. Nice to get excited by youth but doesn't always work out even for these.

I still believe though, that like Apple when they were brainstorming, their philosophy was that ideas can be sometimes crushed too early so it's important to be patient.

Sheens (in the past) seems to chuck the young ones in too early if anything.

Will be interesting to see with more money, resources and less pressure whether he will before patient this time around.

But think with your post think you mean sheens is not so quick to drop them and gives them more time to flourish ones given a chance.

Sheens (in the past) seems to chuck the young ones in too early if anything.

Will be interesting to see with more money, resources and less pressure whether he will before patient this time around.

But think with your post think you mean sheens is not so quick to drop them and gives them more time to flourish ones given a chance.
Yes mate - correct!

like the Dally M halfback of the year award he apparently didn't win in 2018 according to some on here.
Apparently Cronk won it that year

He’s not Top 30.

He can play after Round 10, if he’s 18 by then.

He’s 17 now.

I definitely don’t see him playing first grade in 2023.
far too early. kid's development will be completely ruined if we play him against men at this stage. I genuinely believe he could be anything, the last thing we need is for us to rush him. he'll probably get some minutes off the bench in Flegg at absolute best.

Sheens impressed with pre-season progress​

Michael Algeri & Wests Tigers
Tue 10 Jan 2023, 08:47 PM

Share on social media​

Tim Sheens is happy with how things are going in pre-season but admits there’s plenty of hard work required for his team to achieve its goal of playing finals football in 2023.
The club’s new head coach has much to ponder over the next month or so before the team’s first trial against the Warriors on 9th February.

A couple of the burning questions surround the team captaincy and who will be wearing the number one jersey in the NRL season-opener against Gold Coast Titans.

“The six weeks we did before Christmas were brilliant,” said Sheens.

“We’re going into a bit more contact now in getting ready for the trials.

“Our first trial, we’ll be giving a lot of our younger guys a go, a lot of our senior boys will still be preparing for the second trial.”

“But in saying that, it gives a lot of the guys that have been training with us pre-Christmas, an opportunity to play.”

When asked what has particularly impressed him leading into the 2023 season, Sheens not only expressed praise for the playing group, but his new team of coaching staff.

1673345995741.png
Benji Marshall 'hands on' with attacking drills.

“The enthusiasm’s been great, not only from the players but my coaching staff too; that includes the new high-performance team under Peter Moussa,” added Sheens.

“Benji, Robbie, Dave Furner have been brilliant, as well as Wayne Lambkin, our Pathways Transition Coach.

“We’re well-organised, and we’re getting a lot of information down to our lower grades, so overall I’ve been
really happy with how it’s all been operating.”

David Furner chats with fellow assistant coach Wayne Lambkin
David Furner chats with fellow assistant coach Wayne Lambkin.

Sheens is remaining tight-lipped on some of the key decisions ahead, but when it comes to the fullback spot, he’s pleased with the options available.

“The trials will sort that,” he said.

“We’ve got Charlie (Staines) training on the wing and at fullback, Daine (Laurie) has been training at fullback and pivot, plus we’ve also got another young fullback Jahream Bula, who’s been training really well.

It’ll be very interesting to see who grabs it.
Tim Sheens

1673346256548.png
Daine Laurie all smiles in pre-season.

The four-time premiership winning coach is up front about the team’s ambition in the season ahead, and that’s to play finals football.

For me it’s about setting a goal for the Top 8
Tim Sheens

“There’s no reason we can’t set that as a goal, but in saying that we need to work very hard to achieve that goal game-by-game, session-by-session.”

“We’ve got to get the most out of the next five weeks, make sure we have a good pre-season and when the trials come around, we look like a footy team.”
Good stuff Api!!

Need Bateman here ASAP to learn the system and team mates.. Hope his Visa is sorted quick

Thanks for your information. The mention of these young players fills me with hope. We badly need an injection of genuine pace on both NRL wings. A good young half is always a bonus!

Interesting that's the 3rd time I have heard Sheens mention Jahream Bula - must be really making an impression. Prob won't start the year but could be the 2024 fullback
Yeah he normally doesn’t mentioned a kid like Bula if he isn’t impressing.

He can’t play round 1 unless they promote him before hand, but maybe they view him more a 24/25+ years.

Latest posts

Members online

Back