LIVE GAME 2023 Trial 1: Wests Tigers v Warriors

Live Game Discussion
Have a look at the stats on nrl .com , always a bit of a help for people that have no clue about what they are watching
mate, with respect, stats are a lie. he was missing so many 4/5 tackle options and we have rubbish service because of it - its his only job (sort of). watch the replay and give the stats a break. if our DNA is up beat attacking footy, we need a nine there when it counts. take the blinkers off and get real. he was terrible

Back 5 makes me sad
We have about 10 blokes who could start in our back 5.

The problem is absolutely none of them stand out from the others...and most are really poor defensively.

We have needed a real topliner at center forever...I can't even think of the last one we had. Lawry before injuries?

We now have basically multiple players who are all error prone and kind of sort of NRL level on good days / kind of sort of state cup level most other days.

Immediate post-match thoughts:

Staines
Looked busy, nothing special but will put pressure on Laurie during the year.

Tupou
Still very raw, great tackle-breaker but looks like dropping it every time he’s got it. Lot of potential there though, and was solid defensively.

Kepaoa
Very solid. Should’ve overtaken Talau in the centre pecking order based off that performance.

Talau
Not a good return from injury. Had no idea defensively.

Scolari
Similar to Talau. Tried hard, showed intent but looked a bit sluggish, struggled to turn and cover when defence went on his outside.

Reilly
Very smooth runner, nice when running the footy but took poor options when passing the ball.

Wakeham
Very, very average.

Utoikamanu
Outstanding. Will play Origin in the next few years if he stays fit.

Simpkin
OK. Good runner, still don’t think he has good service though.

Seyfarth
Went much better than I thought he’d go. Was busy and had some strong carries.

Tumeth
Ran strong, looked a bit small and got rattled in contact at times. If he gets a bit bigger (in the Liam Martin mould) he could be alright.

Pole
Much better at prop than second row. Ran strong and was busy in the middle. Opposite on the edge.

Matamua
Terrible first stint, good second stint. Ball-playing looked sloppy. Won’t get the starting #13 spot.

Bula
Very raw. Nice offload for Peni’s try.

Hill
Ran the ball well, would love to see him in the clear.

Peni
Wasn’t good defensively, nice support play for the try.

Feledy
Would’ve liked to have seen more runs. Looked up to the contact in attack, slipped off a few tackles.

James
Ran very well. Still not sure how his gas tank would go, playing in a game with limited interchange.

Faagutu
Future NRL player for sure. Ran the ball very well.

Vaihu
Didn’t do anything in limited minutes.

Camroux
Didn’t really construct anything during his time on the field.

Fainu
Not bad. Liked his ball-playing at times and had a few good carries.

Ngatikaura
I really don’t rate this guy. Looked poor for Cook Islands in the World Cup and looked terrible again today.

Sukkar
Went well. Busy and looks like a future NRL player to me.
agree with most of that.nice summary

Staines

Tupou
Still very raw, great tackle-breaker but looks like dropping it every time he’s got it. Lot of potential there though, and was solid defensively.

Kepaoa
Very solid. Should’ve overtaken Talau in the centre pecking order based off that performance.

Talau

Scolari
Similar to Talau. Tried hard, showed intent but looked a bit sluggish, struggled to turn and cover when defence went on his outside.

Reilly
Very smooth runner, nice when running the footy but took poor options when passing the ball.

Wakeham
Very, very average.

Utoikamanu

Simpkin

Seyfarth

Tumeth
Ran strong, looked a bit small and got rattled in contact at times. If he gets a bit bigger (in the Liam Martin mould) he could be alright.

Pole
Much better at prop than second row. Ran strong and was busy in the middle. Opposite on the edge.

Matamua
Terrible first stint, good second stint. Ball-playing looked sloppy. Won’t get the starting #13 spot.

Bula

Hill

Peni

Feledy
Would’ve liked to have seen more runs. Looked up to the contact in attack, slipped off a few tackles.

James
Ran very well. Still not sure how his gas tank would go, playing in a game with limited interchange.

Faagutu

Vaihu

Camroux

Fainu

Ngatikaura
I really don’t rate this guy. Looked poor for Cook Islands in the World Cup and looked terrible again today.

Sukkar
Was that Jordan Hill you mention?

Wasn’t really an nrl trial but to get pumped liked that against a reserve grade warriors side pretty disappointing I know our side was pretty much young kids who the staff have a lot of wraps on em they didn’t show much at all

Wasn’t really an nrl trial but to get pumped liked that against a reserve grade warriors side pretty disappointing I know our side was pretty much young kids who the staff have a lot of wraps on em they didn’t show much at all

Agreed it wasn't so much that we lost but the fact that we got flogged by a team who are basically at the same level as the team we put on the field.Both sides well below full strength but theirs was a little more experienced

We have about 10 blokes who could start in our back 5.

The problem is absolutely none of them stand out from the others...and most are really poor defensively.

We have needed a real topliner at center forever...I can't even think of the last one we had. Lawry before injuries?

We now have basically multiple players who are all error prone and kind of sort of NRL level on good days / kind of sort of state cup level most other days.
This has been a problem for a decade. 2-5 can't defend. What do they teach at training? That's the first thing I'd do. I wouldn't touch a ball until they get the defence right.

mate, with respect, stats are a lie. he was missing so many 4/5 tackle options and we have rubbish service because of it - its his only job (sort of). watch the replay and give the stats a break. if our DNA is up beat attacking footy, we need a nine there when it counts. take the blinkers off and get real. he was terrible
what a load of crap mate , yes agree stats are only part of it but they help turkeys like you at least see who was having a go in a young side , look at our halves compared to theirs

Only Pole and Stefano are most likely in the 17. Wouldn't worry to much.

It just goes to show the PR department putting out all the fluff pieces about talent etc. Until you deliver the young fellas should stay out of the media.
But that the problem, only pole and stefo making 1st grade so what happens if we get injuries , we have to rely on that bunch of no hopers , so much for that great talent pole we have

All I can say is that trial was giving the kids a show at NRL ...they will gain from that and it will no doubt help with their development...Stef did well ,however some are also back from long injuries ... next game will give us an idea of where we are compared to last year...NEXT GAME IS CRUNCH TIME just to see if we will be able to compete at a top level..

But that the problem, only pole and stefo making 1st grade so what happens if we get injuries , we have to rely on that bunch of no hopers , so much for that great talent pole we have

You only ever have to replace one
or two injured players at a time for
a few weeks anyway, they'll be fine

Staines

Tupou

Kepaoa

Talau

Scolari

Reilly

Wakeham
Very, very average.

Utoikamanu

Simpkin

Seyfarth

Tumeth

Pole

Matamua

Bula

Hill

Peni

Feledy

James

Faagutu

Vaihu

Camroux

Fainu

Ngatikaura

Sukkar

Agree with alot of your comments.
We make some very poor contract choices - Ngatikaura is bog average and agree he was average for Cook islands at the WC. Have no idea why we offered him a top 30 contract. Surely there is better hookers out there we could grab.
Hooker and Halves are the biggest issues for depth.
Thought you are being too light on Scolari - he was very average and i struggle what anyone sees in this kid. One of the worst games i have seen from a winger. Not the reason we played bad but contribute enormously to the issues at hand.

Injuries or not we will finish 10-14. Can you honestly say that we will win a comp this year?

I just want fundamentals. Pass behind, run hard, move up together in defence. For some reason this club has continued to show that they can't coach fundamentals. Yes it is a reserve grade side with juniors but hey have been training together and expect some kind of skill level.

Absolutely so sick of our edge defence.

Staines

Tupou

Kepaoa

Talau

Scolari

Reilly

Wakeham
Very, very average.

Utoikamanu

Simpkin

Seyfarth

Tumeth

Pole

Matamua

Bula

Hill

Peni

Feledy

James

Faagutu

Vaihu

Camroux

Fainu

Ngatikaura

Sukkar
Wow great write up. Pretty much my thoughts.

Talau is definately not in the 17. Pole and Stefano are the only definately for me. The rest can fight it out in reserves

Back