LIVE GAME 2023 Trial 1: Wests Tigers v Warriors

Live Game Discussion
Stefano had impactful moments but I worry about his motor, he seems to drift in and out of games.

As a team, after the first three minutes, we could not match them physically and we don't have much speed or skill. I understand this is a back up team of the squad who ran last but it is worrying how weak this squad is in terms of tackling. I don't really think back up players should be that poor. We cannot stay with teams when they play aggressively and most teams also have a more skilful backline then us.

Stefano had impactful moments but I worry about his motor, he seems to drift in and out of games.

As a team, after the first three minutes, we could not match them physically and we don't have much speed or skill. I understand this is a back up team of the squad who ran last but it is worrying how weak this squad is in terms of tackling. I don't really think back up players should be that poor. We cannot stay with teams when they play aggressively and most teams also have a more skilful backline then us.
Panthers back ups beat our first grade last year 😂

It was rubbish.
These guys have been promised as our future by Sheens.
Hopefully things improve.

If we won by 50 I would still say that it means nothing.
Trial form is just that and very really translates to anything when the real stuff kicks off.
So not expecting much and will not be making any assessments / criticism until the cobwebs are blown off and we see the first round result.
Goid night all.
The people that are laughing at the tigers tonight, if this did happen would say it’s just a trial

Some are reading way too much into this.

We were very slow in the halves and couldn't get clean ball to the outside backs. Wakeham was super disappointing, even though it was nice to see a kick for touch that went more than 7 metres.

The forwards showed promise. Some of the younger guys were hitting the line hard. Inability to stick in the first tackle in defense was an obvious issue, and the Warriors always carry good size and aggression to take advantage.

I thought Bula looked safe under the high ball but needs to get more involved in attack and doesn't seem to have a passing game yet. I thought Scolari was really poor and Matamutia (sorry about the spelling) tried way too hard and his service was clunky.

Reilley was a surprise in Defence and Kepoa looks threatening. Junior Toupou also looked good.

This was less than a state cup side that ran out tonight and although they could have gone a lot better I don't think the score was overly surprising. You give them a chance to have a run against men and see how they go. It was obvious that this was the B team at training.

People don’t forget last year in the trials Parra beat penrith 36-0 while penrith has the likes of luai, Crichton, Kikau etc playing
These trials mean nothing but testing out young players and tactics

People don’t forget last year in the trials Parra beat penrith 36-0 while penrith has the likes of luai, Crichton, Kikau etc playing
These trials mean nothing but testing out young players and tactics
Of course 👍 how was our 05 early form?

I know it was the least experienced team we could have fielded, but they had a lot of inexperienced players as well - and they looked far better than ours. They were tougher in contact, more aggressive in D, faster and sharper, ran harder, and controlled the ruck and the middle for the most part. They had us backpedaling for the majority of the game. Our only real authority came from Uto and Pole. Every other player we fielded is way off NRL and all our backs looked poor.
Simpkin was ok at times but still passes poorly. Matamua did some very disappointing things as did Talau and Rua. Didn’t see enough of Bula or Feledy to really judge them fairly. Tristan Reilly looked ok in D but his passing game was average and wakeham was mostly rubbish. Not sure AJ or Tupou are currently good enough for NRL.

Only a trial but geez that was an absolutely embarrassing performance. Every single player was terrible, bar Stefano.

It was literally men vs boys. Adults playing against 19 year olds and they rightfully annihilated us in every facet of the game. They absolutely monstered us all over the field, just pathetic.

We had nothing. No one knew what to do, no attack no defence, no ball playing. We looked like a bunch of random strangers who'd never met one another until second before kickoff.

It was a fitness run for the kids, that's it. No injuries is a plus but geez we'd want to forget absolutely everything about this match.

I'm especially disappointed with our ball movement. It was just chaotic. We couldn't have played worse if they tried.

But it's also on Sheens for picking such an incredibly weak lineup that was always likely to get smashed.

Warriors have Metcalfe as their backup half, he was excellent. We have Wakeham who was terrible.

Mercifully I feel asleep during the second half, but my thoughts:
- eh, just a trial... But
- pre season or not, I don't think fielding a team so full of inexperienced kids and getting thumped is good for any of them; There should have been a few first graders to allow for a more competitive side.
As it is, you put them at a disadvantage, they get thumped and that surely can't be good for their confidence.
Usually, if you debut you have a team of first graders with you to help. You do your best and hopefully come out of it believing you are good enough.
- Stefano was good.
- Seyfarth played better than I've ever seen! Still a backup though.
- Kepaoa looks like he hit puberty over the off season and we'd only seen him as a kid! By far the best back.
- Very surprised with Reilly. Didn't expect him to be anywhere near as good as that - especially at 6. Great tackler. Think he can be good with a bit more time.
- Thought Staines did okay actually. Didn't expect much and he's not amazing at fullback, but thought he had better positioning than Laurie. BTW is it just me, or what happened to his pace?
- after reading a fair bit about Rua have to say he was pretty bad. Hopefully he was nervous or something.

In all, it's just a preseason game, but I do feel you are making things too hard on the young guys playing that side.

I'd rather they had a few more experienced players and lost by half as much.

They can go out and kill it next week, but hardly any of these guys will even play, so all they'll have really experienced is a hiding.

My major issue with this is that those kids have been training with Sheens all off season, so they really should understand the attack and defense strategy that is being implemented. If that defense strategy is what they have been taught all off season, we are in a world of pain. The defense from our outside backs was terrible.
It is not that hard, keep square and use the sideline as the extra man, there is no need to rush up inside in this day and age. Inside men just need to work harder and push across.
I swear to god it was Nofo that has been teaching the defensive system all off season.
Of course it’s all Nofa’s fault! News flash, every team that gets pumped is going to have overlaps down the wings!

Back