A Culture and history of losing

Needaname

I’m curious. I know the knights have had some injury concerns however there team is essentially the result of having a similar young squad playing a few years together (not dissimilar to our current) with the eventual addition of about 6 marque ‘strike’ players.
Now the knights haven’t made the finals since 2013 and although it’s unlikely for them to drop out. There form may have them drop out in the first match.
Their situation is this.
A star half.
A star prop.
A local prop becoming an origin player.
A origin fullback
A former origin back row.
And the best rated young coach in the game.

I can’t see any reason for this team losing the way they are other than that the whole club isn’t sure of what it takes to win?

Is there a culture of losing in clubs that is just impossible to shake?

@Needaname said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217723) said:
I’m curious. I know the knights have had some injury concerns however there team is essentially the result of having a similar young squad playing a few years together (not dissimilar to our current) with the eventual addition of about 6 marque ‘strike’ players.
Now the knights haven’t made the finals since 2013 and although it’s unlikely for them to drop out. There form may have them drop out in the first match.
Their situation is this.
A star half.
A star prop.
A local prop becoming an origin player.
A origin fullback
A former origin back row.
And the best rated young coach in the game.

I can’t see any reason for this team losing the way they are other than that the whole club isn’t sure of what it takes to win?

Is there a culture of losing in clubs that is just impossible to shake?

Not impossible to shake but extremely difficult

All I know is there effort yesterday knocked 2 out of the Last Man Standing comp..

They have been beaten by both the Dogs and Warriors and yes they will in all likelihood make the 8 this year and just as likely to be the 1st team out..

It takes a strong character to lead a club out of. Gus did it at the chooks and Panthers, Crowe at Souths, Bozo at Manly for decades.

The missing ingredient is known by the name “teamwork”. Not easy to identify it’s absence when watching a team sport right? However, the fundamental essence of playing as a team is having each and every team member knowing each and every team members game, and knowing what they will do before they do it.

We have worked many many years to reach the bottom. Why all of the sudden , do you people want to undo the hard work that our administration has tried so hard to achieve ?

I guess I’m curious. Does adding ‘quality’ senior players to your roster make a difference if you haven’t done the ground work of building that winning culture.
Knights haven’t got it yet.
They added Pierce who comes from a winning culture but who was blamed for their loses.
They added Klemmer who hasn’t been in a final with the dogs.
Both have been apart of both winning and losing in origin and so has Kalyn Ponga.
Saifiti has become an origin prop.
Next year they add Frizell from a dragons team that hasn’t seen much success.
Erni Tuala and Germat Sibisake from a poor Broncos and Cowboys team that hasn’t seen a decent year since 2015.
Given they have lost there first 2 choice hookers, backup hooker and now they first choice 5/8.
But you could argue that the Roosters have had the same injury concerns.

@gallagher said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217730) said:
It takes a strong character to lead a club out of. Gus did it at the chooks and Panthers, Crowe at Souths, Bozo at Manly for decades.

Sticky at the Raiders.

@Needaname said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217737) said:

Sticky at the Raiders.

Yes, most definitely. Our success only lasted as long as Sheens. Moving him into a management role would have made a difference to us.

@gallagher said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217744) said:

Sticky at the Raiders.

Yes, most definitely. Our success only lasted as long as Sheens. Moving him into a management role would have made a difference to us.

Yeah he didn’t want to I believe? Didn’t we have him for a year or two in that role and he fought to get paid out of his new 4 year deal? ‘Resigned in 2012’

@Needaname said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217747) said:
@gallagher said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217744) said:

Sticky at the Raiders.

Yeah he didn’t want to I believe? Didn’t we have him for a year or two in that role and he fought to get paid out of his new 4 year deal? ‘Resigned in 2012’

Nah, we sacked him as coach. And yeah, we didn't want to pay him out.

@twentyforty said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217732) said:
The missing ingredient is known by the name “teamwork”. Not easy to identify it’s absence when watching a team sport right? **However, the fundamental essence of playing as a team is having each and every team member knowing each and every team members game, and knowing what they will do before they do it.**

Tigers have put 15 yrs into Benji... When Prince metered Benji, magic happened. When Benji has been the dominant voice, well, the bloke himself doesnt know what he is going to do, even as he is doing it, it seems.

I dont lay the fault at Benji's feet for our astounding lack of structure, Brooks is paid to perform his own tasks with the ball in hand, and organising, but Benji is unfortunately a direct influence on how we have come to where we are now. In all facets of the game he is unpredictable, and more often than not detrimentally.

@Newtown said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217726) said:
There wasn't much wrong with the culture of 2005.

It could be argued that just like the knights they had a similar run as us. There 1995-1997 was like our 2003-2005 and their 2001-2003 seasons were like our 2009-2011 years.
They managed success twice as we have once but it was all on the back of a generational player ‘Johns/Marshall’ and their future success hinged on hoping the 2nd coming would continue in the same path ‘Mullen/Brooks’

@Blacknwhite said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217753) said:
@twentyforty said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217732) said:
The missing ingredient is known by the name “teamwork”. Not easy to identify it’s absence when watching a team sport right? **However, the fundamental essence of playing as a team is having each and every team member knowing each and every team members game, and knowing what they will do before they do it.**

Tigers have put 15 yrs into Benji... When Prince metered Benji, magic happened. When Benji has been the dominant voice, well, the bloke himself doesnt know what he is going to do, even as he is doing it, it seems.

I dont lay the fault at Benji's feet for our astounding lack of structure, Brooks is paid to perform his own tasks with the ball in hand, and organising, but Benji is unfortunately a direct influence on how we have come to where we are now. In all facets of the game he is unpredictable, and more often than not detrimentally.

When A player is that good that he not only bamboozles the opposition but his own team as well, may be better used in a less dominate roll in my opinion. Now who do the knights have ? A good coach will break down the barriers to teamwork. In Penriths case the job was made easier because many were local juniors.

You can see the importance of a winning “culture” in a club. The Storm have it, the Rorters have further developed it with Robinson and with Politis at the helm ( it wasnt that long ago they were a rabble). The Raiders are starting to get it, however the Eels are not there yet. It dictates what is expected of players on and off the field and sets the benchmark for the types of players you want in your team. Its the reason that when any players step up and wear a storm jersey they put out a 110% effort for their fellow teammates every time.
I think Madge gets it and is trying to build this at the Tigers but with the squad he has it isnt going to be an easy road or a quick fix.

@TigerSJ said in [A Culture and history of losing](/post/1217776) said:
You can see the importance of a winning “culture” in a club. The Storm have it, the Rorters have further developed it with Robinson and with Politis at the helm ( it wasnt that long ago they were a rabble). The Raiders are starting to get it, however the Eels are not there yet. It dictates what is expected of players on and off the field and sets the benchmark for the types of players you want in your team. Its the reason that when any players step up and wear a storm jersey they put out a 110% effort for their fellow teammates every time.
I think Madge gets it and is trying to build this at the Tigers but with the squad he has it isnt going to be an easy road or a quick fix.

The eels won't get it. Any success there will be fleeting.

Back