Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Do we have confirmation on how msany 30 slots we have as it stands?
I have 28, 27 if you discount a CO for matiamutu
Fainu will be re signed so we back to 28, then 29 if the leb comes to his senses and signs?

Have I got that correct?

Do we have confirmation on how msany 30 slots we have as it stands?
I have 28, 27 if you discount a CO for matiamutu
Fainu will be re signed so we back to 28, then 29 if the leb comes to his senses and signs?

Have I got that correct?
U think that Doueihi would just sign the minimum contract for a year, prove his worth then go to market the following year. I know injuries are not your fault but he’s been getting decent coin for not much output. Just cop it champ and do what’s right for the club!

Reactions: BZN
U think that Doueihi would just sign the minimum contract for a year, prove his worth then go to market the following year. I know injuries are not your fault but he’s been getting decent coin for not much output. Just cop it champ and do what’s right for the club!
I spoke to a mutual friend about the contract thing yesterday and apparently 'he is burnin cuz' is what i was told. Because it is minimum.120k.
HOWEVER,
The mutual acquaintance believes 200k he takes to do EXACTLY what you just described.

He just doesnt want rock bottom pay. Leb pride thing maybe.

Give him the 200 I say.
Utilities are useful, the doggs have shown us this.

I watch every ESL game intently in order to identify talent. If I ever get a call up to a coaching gig I want to be on the ball.

If I was Richi this is what I would be doing.
Attempt to offload;
Naden
Sullivan
Staines
Toa

In that order.

Naden has hands like fish, but I think he might do ok in the ESL becasue he has size and speed and that’s a combo that lacks in the English game. They have size, they have speed, but not together. If they are going to England we can subsidise his pay very heavily and it’s not in our cap I don’t think. The dilemma is he’s aboriginal and in my experience they get homesick pretty easily. The PC worship they get here won’t be as much there. But who knows if we tip in 250k and another team offers 100 that might be enough because money talks. I also can’t foresee any other nrl team take him on as anything beyond depth at minimum wage. His cards are marked. I hate him too.
Strike a deal to get Wardle to come here as that adds to our playing IQ. Or give Douehi the centre gig.
Sullivan is just excess. I would be telling Jayden that playing a comp that is in between cup and NRL is the greatest thing for his success. He has flair and that is good to have over there. The players that excel the most in that comp is the Luke Brooks type. Sullivan isn’t that far from that.
Again the issue is same as Naden. Aboriginal issues. Worse for Sullivan as apparently he had real issues leaving the Illawarra. That makes England a tough sell for him even if it’s the best move. A deal could be made that could be very lucrative for him too.

Staines. He has speed. They need speed. However teams will not want to waste a quota spot on a winger unless he’s a star. That is the big problem. He might find a home at a cellar dweller like the London broncos but honestly our best bet is he just sees out his contract as a depth player for us and then we kick him out. He’s just a winger.
You could get Matty Ashton or someone over to replace him but I’d look at skelton or Blake Austin that are currently stuck behind good players in their position but should be playing first grade. Would be cheap too. We can’t waste cap on wingers. We spent too much on Suruva and I’m surprised everyone here is overjoyed at that signing.

Toa. Hated him since he was a kid. He is awkward, dumb and unreliable. Has some moments in him but not what we need.

Just sign Douehi for Lebanese money (300k) and have a centre rotation of Wardle/Doueihi and Euan Aitken, who should be on the bench to cover back row, wing and centre should injuries happen.

I actually think Euan Aitken should be our #1 target
Staines is not quick. He never backs himself to burn people on the outside.

I watch every ESL game intently in order to identify talent. If I ever get a call up to a coaching gig I want to be on the ball.

Attempt to offload;
Naden
Sullivan
Staines
Toa

In that order.

Naden has hands like fish, but I think he might do ok in the ESL becasue he has size and speed and that’s a combo that lacks in the English game. They have size, they have speed, but not together. If they are going to England we can subsidise his pay very heavily and it’s not in our cap I don’t think. The dilemma is he’s aboriginal and in my experience they get homesick pretty easily. The PC worship they get here won’t be as much there. But who knows if we tip in 250k and another team offers 100 that might be enough because money talks. I also can’t foresee any other nrl team take him on as anything beyond depth at minimum wage. His cards are marked. I hate him too.
Strike a deal to get Wardle to come here as that adds to our playing IQ. Or give Douehi the centre gig.
Sullivan is just excess. I would be telling Jayden that playing a comp that is in between cup and NRL is the greatest thing for his success. He has flair and that is good to have over there. The players that excel the most in that comp is the Luke Brooks type. Sullivan isn’t that far from that.
Again the issue is same as Naden. Aboriginal issues. Worse for Sullivan as apparently he had real issues leaving the Illawarra. That makes England a tough sell for him even if it’s the best move. A deal could be made that could be very lucrative for him too.

Staines. He has speed. They need speed. However teams will not want to waste a quota spot on a winger unless he’s a star. That is the big problem. He might find a home at a cellar dweller like the London broncos but honestly our best bet is he just sees out his contract as a depth player for us and then we kick him out. He’s just a winger.
You could get Matty Ashton or someone over to replace him but I’d look at skelton or Blake Austin that are currently stuck behind good players in their position but should be playing first grade. Would be cheap too. We can’t waste cap on wingers. We spent too much on Suruva and I’m surprised everyone here is overjoyed at that signing.

Toa. Hated him since he was a kid. He is awkward, dumb and unreliable. Has some moments in him but not what we need.

Just sign Douehi for Lebanese money (300k) and have a centre rotation of Wardle/Doueihi and Euan Aitken, who should be on the bench to cover back row, wing and centre should injuries happen.

I would like to get Euan Aitken or a dedicated center, we can dream.
Braidon Burns IMHO should have been someone on our target list when Canterbury released him.

I truly don't get how at this late in the game, we look at our squad and realise our backline defense is the key problem?

I agree but I also like what I've seen from Galvin. So I'm hoping it creates competition. What do you think of Sullivan?
Sullivan brings explosive strike that this club hasn’t seen since a young Moses.
He has pretty decent vision too.
He digs in and has a go.
Unfortunately at this stage, his abilities fall short of these attributes. His defence and general kicking need a lot of work and his consistency needs to be lengthened to cover more of the game.
A work in progress who is worth the effort for mine.

Attempt to offload;
Naden
Sullivan
Staines
Toa

In that order.

Euan Aitken is absolutely trash

that's it, I am sure latu will be a very good player but probably not at wests tigers as I think luai and Galvin are better players
we can't keep them all and at some point latu will want a crack in halves.
IF we dont re-sign Galvin then different story
Surely we keep Fainu. Of all the terrible overpriced contracts on our books the one that ensures we have an option at 14, a quality back up half, a ready made replacement if Galvin does develop into a forward or a succession plan for Luai is not the contract I'm concerned about.

Attempt to offload;
Naden
Sullivan
Staines
Toa

In that order.

If we're trying to sell Staines as a winger we're doing it wrong. He would be very good as an ESL/Reggie's fullback but ordinary on the wing even in those grades.

Reactions: BZN
Surely we keep Fainu. Of all the terrible overpriced contracts on our books the one that ensures we have an option at 14, a quality back up half, a ready made replacement if Galvin does develop into a forward or a succession plan for Luai is not the contract I'm concerned about.
how long will fainu want to play out of position or off the bench. He will be good enough to play a starting role. You would think his manager rattles the cage and demands a release to play regular first grade if he doesn't get a go in 2025 in the halves

I would like to get Euan Aitken or a dedicated center, we can dream.
Braidon Burns IMHO should have been someone on our target list when Canterbury released him.

I truly don't get how at this late in the game, we look at our squad and realise our backline defense is the key problem?
Aitken and Burns?
Really?
The club needs to set it's sights higher than that surely. That'd just be swapping like for like.
If they're not an established quality player like Turuva and Luai or an obvious future star like Samuela then we don't need to be buying players that leave us splashing around the shallow end of the pool

how long will fainu want to play out of position or off the bench. He will be good enough to play a starting role. You would think his manager rattles the cage and demands a release to play regular first grade if he doesn't get a go in 2025 in the halves
I don't think so. How many teenage halves are demanding a first grade spot. Whilst I think he could already be first grade ready based on what I saw of him last year i think he would be content if we can get his body right and show signs of talent development.
We see the likes of Pezet, Duffy, Smith, Weaver Teaupua waiting and developing their game in ressies.
The bigger issue will be turning around results so that he isn't walking into a shit team when he gets his chance.

I don't think so. How many teenage halves are demanding a first grade spot. Whilst I think he could already be first grade ready based on what I saw of him last year i think he would be content if we can get his body right and show signs of talent development.
We see the likes of Pezet, Duffy, Smith, Weaver Teaupua waiting and developing their game in ressies.
The bigger issue will be turning around results so that he isn't walking into a shit team when he gets his chance.
he has already played for his country Tonga, those other players have not. He won't sit around in the halves for long if he doesn't get a run

This may happen if we don’t give Latu a run this year.
Our season is done. We are more chance of winning the spoon than making the 8.
Galvin has had a good go of it. We’ve given an untested 18 year old 9 games and he has had a couple of pearlers. We are aware of what he brings.
Give him a month rest in Flegg and try Latu out. You never know, maybe Fainu comes in and the backline starts clicking. That’s the headache we need to be honest.

This may happen if we don’t give Latu a run this year.
Our season is done. We are more chance of winning the spoon than making the 8.
Galvin has had a good go of it. We’ve given an untested 18 year old 9 games and he has had a couple of pearlers. We are aware of what he brings.
Give him a month rest in Flegg and try Latu out. You never know, maybe Fainu comes in and the backline starts clicking. That’s the headache we need to be honest.
perhaps try latu
my point was both latu and Galvin are high quality and nrl first graders in the halves moving forward
Both will not be playing 6, both are too good for bench or reserves, one will leave if not getting game time
historically we pick the wrong one as a club
my money is on Galvin long term

+ Staines, Bateman and Klemmer

+ Kepoa gone.

Would take Sipley
Not Paulo, at his third club - reserve grader.
I feel our forwards have been pretty good so far just need a sipley added , Klemm is Going ok and Bateman always has a go , good defender
we add a Sipley and a back rower like Sam give Matta more time at lock grab a centre we may be ok.
Staines I feel for as he was going good prior to his injury , maybe a bit more time cause he was still doing dirty hit up last game

no info and merely a suggestion, but surely Jack Howarth’s had a gutful sitting behind Blore, Katoa, Chan and MacDonald at Melbourne. he’d walk backwards onto our right edge next year if Bateman was to leave in addition to Papali’i.

Back