Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 23 53.5%

• Total voters

Demps

Staff member
Forum Leader
I was watching Extraction 2 on Netflix.
Chris Hemsworth is in it and it's a block buster like film, he was watching a game of AFL in it.

I was wondering, those amongst us...
Who likes this sport?
I've never sat through a game.
Never liked the look of it.

Those who like it, what do you like about it?
What team do you go for?

Was a very very casual observer of AFL until i met my wife who is from Wagga and Wagga being in the middle of both sports she was an AFL fan. Went to a Swans game at the SCG back in the early 2000’s and fell in love, still prefer NRL but the atmosphere at a full SCG was amazing.

The way i see it is they are two completely different games so I’m happy to support both codes, there are some things AFL do better and vice versa. I don’t understand the hate for AFL but it also comes back the other way, have friends in VIC that don’t understand NRL at all or watch it.

I hate it.
I’m not sure if it’s just the sport, which looks like a bit of fun to play to be honest…or the absolutely over the top way it’s fans carry on about it. They speak about it in reverential tones and describe the players, most of which look like homosexual hair care models, as geniuses, gladiators and hero’s.
Not for me at all…

Went to a gws game a few years back got freebies from somewhere

Different style of person follows it.... Walking past the hair care. Models waiting to. Buy tix or get into a game at the SCG after we flogged the Bronx in the 05 semi... Toffay tossers would get on well with rah rah fans

I hate it.
I’m not sure if it’s just the sport, which looks like a bit of fun to play to be honest…or the absolutely over the top way it’s fans carry on about it. They speak about it in reverential tones and describe the players, most of which look like homosexual hair care models, as geniuses, gladiators and hero’s.
Not for me at all…
I'm with you..
I don't understand the appeal.

A lot of people I've heard talk about it, from Tas and Vic claim it's the REAL footy.

Yet, I generally don't really know anyone who likes the sport.

I'm jealous of their fans and the way they embrace tradition with simple jerseys and emblems. Don't really like 4 quarter high scoring games, sort of makes the first three quarters redundant. I watched a uni game live once, they are always running full speed. Was impressive in terms of fitness.

But it's a no from me.

Plus, where's our loyalty Sydney? Even if it's the best game going, it's there's and we have rugby league and that's it. Cannot understand Sydney AFL fans who aren't roosters fans from the eastern suburbs.

A mate got me playing when I was a kid. An injury meant I missed the first 6 weeks of league and the junior Aussie rules started a little later in the season back then so gave it a go instead. Really enjoy the game and have played on and off ever since.
As for watching, I'm someone who enjoys effort plays and courage plays in any sport, AFL is full of both. Gut running, smothers, going back with the flight of the ball, head over a loose ball when a collision is imminent. These all happen multiple times a game.
There are moments of brilliance in marking contests and goal kicking as well as the odd big collision occasionally throughout as well. An AFL highlights reel stands up to that of any sport.
I don't believe TV does the game justice. A lot of the effort areas occur off the ball and you can really see the play unfold at the ground whereas it all looks like a bit chaotic on TV.
And Go The Swans.

Love all the knock ons and forward passes plus the fact you still get a point if you miss getting a goal and only miss by around 4 or 5 metres.

Their umpires are worse than the match officials in the NRL because in the NRL they only miss the knock ons and forward passes some of the time where as in AFL they seem to miss them all the time.

On the plus side I guess it goes some way to justify having cricket grounds that are generally a waste of vast amounts of valuable real estate because they can be utilised during the cricket off season for Australian Rules Football.

Not a particularly compelling argument for the existence of Cricket or Australian Rules Football but about the only positive that comes to mind.

Love all the knock ons and forward passes plus the fact you still get a point if you miss getting a goal and only miss by around 4 or 5 metres.

Their umpires are worse than the match officials in the NRL because in the NRL they only miss the knock ons and forward passes some of the time where as in AFL they seem to miss them all the time.

On the plus side I guess it goes some way to justify having cricket grounds that are generally a waste of vast amounts of valuable real estate because they can be utilised during the cricket off season for Australian Rules Football.

Not a particularly compelling argument for the existence of Cricket or Australian Rules Football but about the only positive that comes to mind.
When I have a choice to watch the NFL, European Soccer, Cricket, UFC, box etc. I really don't have any time for the AFL.

We used to play it at parramatta park for school sport.
Globite school cases were used as goal posts.
now there was the mother of invention.
We had guys come up from fitzroy to teach us how to kick and subsequently followed Fitzroy after that.
When Sydney Swans used the S.C.G. initially supporters said that it was a spectacular game to watch.
But,no, don't like watching it.
For me,its been Wests and now Wests Tigers.- don't think i will change now.

I'm jealous of their draft. Allows the lower teams (cough...cough...like us) to get a chance to shine.

I normally turn on the GF, but never watch for more than 5 mins.

NRL & NFL for me!

Latest posts

Back