Alex Twal #206

I’m sure I saw him offload once, think it was in round 8 last season.
Twaly is the guy you want coming off the bench when you need to defend a lead. Go back to last game of 2021 when the spooners whipped us 38-0, Twaly stood tall, 60 tackles with not a miss.

I’m sure I saw him offload once, think it was in round 8 last season.
Twaly is the guy you want coming off the bench when you need to defend a lead. Go back to last game of 2021 when the spooners whipped us 38-0, Twaly stood tall, 60 tackles with not a miss.
Kinda proves he is a stats man tbh. Pillow in d. Never put a good shot on anyone. Second or third in the tackle. The guy you run at intentionally to start the role on. Never hurts in defence.

Alex Twal remains a powerful presence in the club's engine room with an extremely high work-rate compared to other middle forwards in the game.

Stats tell some of his courageous story in the Wests Tigers engine room:

churning out consistently top of the pops tackle rates per game,
up there with fewest misses,
reliable hard carries (making eight or more metres most of the time),
reliable numbers in tackle-breaks,
more effective decoys than previous all-time record holder - Russell Packer,
consistent in midfield supports,

Definably, a Mr Durability in the black, white and orange machine.

Then, wait for it.
It's a little known fact that, commencing season 2023, Alex Twal silently sits only 96 tries off becoming the leading Wests Tigers try scorer of all time!

This is going to be a BIG season.

1673060064439.png

Alex Twal remains a powerful presence in the club's engine room with an extremely high work-rate compared to other middle forwards in the game.

Stats tell some of his courageous story in the Wests Tigers engine room:

churning out consistently top of the pops tackle rates per game,
up there with fewest misses,
reliable hard carries (making eight or more metres most of the time),
reliable numbers in tackle-breaks,
more effective decoys than previous all-time record holder - Russell Packer,
consistent in midfield supports,

Definably, a Mr Durability in the black, white and orange machine.

Then, wait for it.
It's a little known fact that, commencing season 2023, Alex Twal silently sits only 96 tries off becoming the leading Wests Tigers try scorer of all time!

This is going to be a BIG season.
My money is on him not getting any closer to the try scoring record for us this year,it is probably a safe bet to double up for 2024 also.

‘Looked me in the eyes’: The Sheens promise that could finally deliver Alex Twal his first try!
SmartSelect_20230209-113533_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Alex Twal is well aware of the noise that gets louder and louder with every season that goes by that he doesn’t score a try.

That’s why he’s happy to reveal the promise “from the heart” of new Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens that could finally get the 26-year-old over the line.

Twal has played 102 NRL games over six seasons with the Tigers but doesn’t have a single try to show for them.

It’s become a bit of a running joke with his teammates — and rugby league fans can see the funny side of it too.

After fans were allowed to storm the SCG for Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin’s 1000th AFL goal, a petition was started calling for NRL fans to do the same when Twal scores his first try.

“Forget ‘Buddy 100’. It’s ‘Twal 1’,” the petition said.

And perhaps with Sheens’ support, this will be the year the fan favourite finally gets a four-pointer.

“One of the first times I saw ‘Sheensy’ he looked me in the eyes and said ‘mate we’re going to get you a try’ and he meant it from his heart,” Twal told foxsports.com.au.

“I don’t think it’s too far away, especially with a crafty nine in Api (Koroisau)... I’ve just got to run the right line or do what I have to do.”

Twal’s “number one goal” this season is to play finals with the Tigers, but he admitted scoring his first NRL try is “definitely in and amongst” his goals.

“I’m not going to deny that,” he laughed.

“Every time someone crosses the line they rub it in my face a bit… I’ve got to get one this year, enough is enough,” Twal added when asked whether his teammates poke fun at him.

It would be fitting for Twal to score in either of the Tigers’ first two games of the season given they’re at home at Leichhardt Oval.
But he’ll take what he can get, saying “Beggars can’t be choosers.”

Twal’s hunt for an NRL try hit a roadblock last season when he suffered a concerning head knock in Round 15.

It was his second knock in the space of four weeks and so the club made the decision to rule him out for the remainder of the season.

Although it was “definitely hard” for Twal to watch his team struggle in the back end of the season, he believes the sideline stint was a “blessing in disguise” because it’s helped him discover a “new found love” for the game.

“In a way it was sort of a blessing in disguise because I’ve come back to training now more eager than I’ve ever been and have a new-found love for the game because I missed such a long period,” Twal said.

“You don’t realise how good rugby league is until you spend a bit of time away. So I’m really grateful just to be back.

“I think I’ve always been a pretty driven person, I always set goals for myself. I don’t feel like I ever find myself in a rut — I’m very grateful to do what I do.

“But in terms of the new-found love, because I hadn’t missed much footy, you don’t realise how much you love the game.

“I think just watching every week — I’ve been pretty lucky with injuries and haven’t missed too many games — watching what the boys went through, you just want to be out there.”

Twal suffered the head knock in the opening minute of a clash with the Bulldogs. He attempted to put pressure on Matt Burton on the last tackle but his head hit the star five-eighth’s shoulder and then slammed into the turf.

The following minutes were distressing for spectators as Twal was put on a stretcher and left the field on a medicab.

Despite the scary scenes, Twal’s recovery was pretty straight forward.

“I didn’t have too many symptoms, I just got knocked out — that was pretty much it,” he said.

The concussion was serious enough to stop him from representing Lebanon at the Rugby League World Cup — but Twal confirmed there was never any concerns about an early retirement.
“Nah there was no fear (of retirement),” he said.

“I’ve played my whole career without many head knocks. I had two head knocks throughout the year but they weren’t serious.

“It was just the point of the season we were in and obviously because I had couple that year so at the time the best thing for me was to get my health right then come back to playing duties when I was ready to go.”

After enjoying the off-season break, in which he got married, Twal has a spring in his step and that has something to do with the new coaching staff.

“I just love their approach, they have such different approaches to what I’ve been used to and I think it’s really refreshing,” he said referring to Sheens and his assistants Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.

“You come to training with a bit of a spring in your step because they both have a knack for making it enjoyable.

Having been here for a while, to be come in here and be so excited to train is such a good feeling — it’s so refreshing.”

SmartSelect_20230209-114913_DuckDuckGo.jpg
This is what I would like to see, Alex running powerfully into the gaps on the edges in the red zone.

I'm a little worried about Twaly with his head knocks .. I hope he proves me wrong and has a blinder of a season .. with NO head knocks .. when he finally gets his first ever NRL try I hope its at the 8th Wonder of the World, Leichhardt Oval .. the supporters will tear down and burn the old Norm "Latchem" Robinson Stand to celebrate .. aka like what Parradoesntmatta did with the old Cumberland Oval .. lol

Don't read em mate. It's been said so many times. 👍
You don't buy into any of the following narratives?
  • Twal will get his first try
  • We will be a different team under Sheens and Benji
  • Brooks will finally be unleashed
  • Doueihi is captaincy material
  • The forward pack won't get folded like an omelet

You don't buy into any of the following narratives?
  • Twal will get his first try
  • We will be a different team under Sheens and Benji
  • Brooks will finally be unleashed
  • Doueihi is captaincy material
  • The forward pack won't get folded like an omelet
I thought you were a Twal fan 🤔

‘Looked me in the eyes’: The Sheens promise that could finally deliver Alex Twal his first try!
View attachment 4393

Alex Twal is well aware of the noise that gets louder and louder with every season that goes by that he doesn’t score a try.

That’s why he’s happy to reveal the promise “from the heart” of new Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens that could finally get the 26-year-old over the line.

Twal has played 102 NRL games over six seasons with the Tigers but doesn’t have a single try to show for them.

It’s become a bit of a running joke with his teammates — and rugby league fans can see the funny side of it too.

After fans were allowed to storm the SCG for Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin’s 1000th AFL goal, a petition was started calling for NRL fans to do the same when Twal scores his first try.

“Forget ‘Buddy 100’. It’s ‘Twal 1’,” the petition said.

And perhaps with Sheens’ support, this will be the year the fan favourite finally gets a four-pointer.

“One of the first times I saw ‘Sheensy’ he looked me in the eyes and said ‘mate we’re going to get you a try’ and he meant it from his heart,” Twal told foxsports.com.au.

“I don’t think it’s too far away, especially with a crafty nine in Api (Koroisau)... I’ve just got to run the right line or do what I have to do.”

Twal’s “number one goal” this season is to play finals with the Tigers, but he admitted scoring his first NRL try is “definitely in and amongst” his goals.

“I’m not going to deny that,” he laughed.

“Every time someone crosses the line they rub it in my face a bit… I’ve got to get one this year, enough is enough,” Twal added when asked whether his teammates poke fun at him.

It would be fitting for Twal to score in either of the Tigers’ first two games of the season given they’re at home at Leichhardt Oval.
But he’ll take what he can get, saying “Beggars can’t be choosers.”

Twal’s hunt for an NRL try hit a roadblock last season when he suffered a concerning head knock in Round 15.

It was his second knock in the space of four weeks and so the club made the decision to rule him out for the remainder of the season.

Although it was “definitely hard” for Twal to watch his team struggle in the back end of the season, he believes the sideline stint was a “blessing in disguise” because it’s helped him discover a “new found love” for the game.

“In a way it was sort of a blessing in disguise because I’ve come back to training now more eager than I’ve ever been and have a new-found love for the game because I missed such a long period,” Twal said.

“You don’t realise how good rugby league is until you spend a bit of time away. So I’m really grateful just to be back.

“I think I’ve always been a pretty driven person, I always set goals for myself. I don’t feel like I ever find myself in a rut — I’m very grateful to do what I do.

“But in terms of the new-found love, because I hadn’t missed much footy, you don’t realise how much you love the game.

“I think just watching every week — I’ve been pretty lucky with injuries and haven’t missed too many games — watching what the boys went through, you just want to be out there.”

Twal suffered the head knock in the opening minute of a clash with the Bulldogs. He attempted to put pressure on Matt Burton on the last tackle but his head hit the star five-eighth’s shoulder and then slammed into the turf.

The following minutes were distressing for spectators as Twal was put on a stretcher and left the field on a medicab.

Despite the scary scenes, Twal’s recovery was pretty straight forward.

“I didn’t have too many symptoms, I just got knocked out — that was pretty much it,” he said.

The concussion was serious enough to stop him from representing Lebanon at the Rugby League World Cup — but Twal confirmed there was never any concerns about an early retirement.
“Nah there was no fear (of retirement),” he said.

“I’ve played my whole career without many head knocks. I had two head knocks throughout the year but they weren’t serious.

“It was just the point of the season we were in and obviously because I had couple that year so at the time the best thing for me was to get my health right then come back to playing duties when I was ready to go.”

After enjoying the off-season break, in which he got married, Twal has a spring in his step and that has something to do with the new coaching staff.

“I just love their approach, they have such different approaches to what I’ve been used to and I think it’s really refreshing,” he said referring to Sheens and his assistants Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.

“You come to training with a bit of a spring in your step because they both have a knack for making it enjoyable.

Having been here for a while, to be come in here and be so excited to train is such a good feeling — it’s so refreshing.”

View attachment 4394
This is what I would like to see, Alex running powerfully into the gaps on the edges in the red zone.

This is one of my fav off-season fluff peices.
The crowd is going to go OFF when he does score a try.

Back