Another Quick Forum Update

@telltails said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509791) said:
@viking-warrior said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509785) said:
@telltails said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509784) said:
The whole labelling someone a troll to me seemed like an effective way to get the mods to react - often resulting in a ban. Hope this is no longer an issue.

Trolling is Trolling pretty petty thing to do on an internet forum.

Agree. Also petty to accuse someone of being troll who simply just doesn't agree with you.

Especially when it’s footy related. The amount of people who take an opinion personally is ridiculous

@macdougall said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509789) said:
he’d police you when you use common terms like wtf.

What wrong with saying WestsTigersForum ?

Respect, simple respect for each other. Opinions differ and that’s cool because we can all learn something by listening to others but telling people to “jog on” or that “ you’re off your head” when you don’t agree is not needed.

@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509719) said:
@macdougall said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509243) said:
@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1508898) said:
I'm still trying to figure out who argues with mods and why they would do this. I've been here 17 years, never banned, never had a fight with a mod. I'm not clear why it's hard for some folks; you don't have to do much to stay in the good books and still offer your opinion.

And now there's this fairly pathetic chest beating going on in this thread, about topics I really don't understand, but it's ugly.

I got put on mod preview once and I messaged Willow and was like "hey Willow mod preview sucks can you just undo it and if I ever do anything wrong again you can just ban me" and he agreed and removed the mod preview. Willow was alright at times but the dude had hectic high school teacher vibes that just attracted and encouraged people to take issue with his authority (and created a clique of sycophants that made the forum eye rollingly cringe at times).

Never ever had a clash with willow... again, it shouldn't be that hard to navigate around people.

Pretty hard to navigate around a mod that had so much time on his hands he'd police you when you use common terms like wtf. I dunno bout you but as a grown ass man on a footy forum I'd prefer to be able to talk like I do with anyone else. Sure if this was a primary school it might be different.

I never found it difficult.

@demps said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509738) said:
@geo said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509736) said:
@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509716) said:
@geo said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509238) said:
So the question to the forum would be is that now acceptable…?

The actual question is - is someone actually asking the rest of us what should be acceptable, or is kul just making the decision alone?

Well we have asked that of @kul and have had no response… so as it appears it’s up to the community.. I’m asking what is now acceptable and what is not.. as in what goes and what doesn’t…?

? Racism
? Weird sexual posting
? threats of violence towards users

Pretty simple.

I’ll add a few..

? Objectification of women or other genders
? Bullying, harassment, insulting or personal attacks
? Posting of copyright or licensed material without permission
? Spam or advertising
? Flaming (similar to bullying)
? Shotgun posting (same question across several threads)
? No hijacking of threads attempting to change the focus of the thread
? Illegal activity or discussion of illegal activity
? Sexual content or nudity
? Hacking the site, malware or exploits
? Multiple usernames (sockpuppets)
? SHOUTING
? Threaten lawsuits or other legal action
? Hate speech or discrimination
? Gratuitously violent content
? Gratuitous swearing, it’s a family and inclusive site (or at least it should be)

@wagga_tiger said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509811) said:
Respect, simple respect for each other. Opinions differ and that’s cool because we can all learn something by listening to others but telling people to “jog on” or that “ you’re off your head” when you don’t agree is not needed.

It’s funny cause personally I don’t find any offence by either of those comments. It’s how I talk with my mates. I can see why some would find it offensive and that’s the tricky part finding a balance where people can speak freely.

I think is rare that anyone actually means to offend anyone on here.

@viking-warrior said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509858) said:
@geo said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509849) said:
A few…lol

A lot of its commen sence tbh

And most of it hasn’t been an issue. Things like violence, nudity, and talk of illegal activity. I think most posters are more classy than that. At the end of the day, people have to stop taking disagreements so personally.

@gnr4life said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509859) said:
@viking-warrior said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509858) said:
@geo said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509849) said:
A few…lol

A lot of its commen sence tbh

And most of it hasn’t been an issue. Things like violence, nudity, and talk of illegal activity. I think most posters are more classy than that. At the end of the day, people have to stop taking disagreements so personally.

Yeah it's just footy after all, not a pissing contest as some threads tend to get.

Scrap banning except for two reasons, it just creates rubbish. Sin bin naughty posters, 1 week for 1st offence, 2 for 2, 3 for 3, max out at 4 for every offence after 4. Only ban new accounts created by those while in the sin bin but, allow them to come back when the original sin bin ends and ban those that are intentionally spamming, swearing at other poster, racist, sexist or flaking out like we experienced recently.

Not a fan of those creating new accounts with an intent to get back at another member or just to be a dick. Sometimes obvious sometimes not so. Given a new leaf has been turned I hope that crap stops.

Swearing I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s not at another poster and in context. “Your a ……….” 👎🏼, “the refs a …….” 👍. Not the c word (I learnt that early) and not a combination of swear words that are just plain wrong. I know some a concerned about woman and children, the ladies chose to be here and may choose to ignore or contribute. Children, let’s let their parents, parent. If we know a child or lady are present or involved in a discussion then show common decency and mind your language.

Sorry to see @willow and @cochise go down like that, enjoyed both their contributions as posters and mods, we didn’t always agree but we avoided arguments. Was always going to end in tears and for what it’s worth right or wrong all played their part. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not. Enough about that.

Apologies for the long post, been sitting on this for a while and it’s my second attempt tonight to post this failed the first time so had to retype.

@tcl said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509863) said:
Scrap banning except for two reasons, it just creates rubbish. Sin bin naughty posters, 1 week for 1st offence, 2 for 2, 3 for 3, max out at 4 for every offence after 4. Only ban new accounts created by those while in the sin bin but, allow them to come back when the original sin bin ends and ban those that are intentionally spamming, swearing at other poster, racist, sexist or flaking out like we experienced recently.

Not a fan of those creating new accounts with an intent to get back at another member or just to be a dick. Sometimes obvious sometimes not so. Given a new leaf has been turned I hope that crap stops.

Swearing I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s not at another poster and in context. “Your a ……….” 👎🏼, “the refs a …….” 👍. Not the c word (I learnt that early) and not a combination of swear words that are just plain wrong. I know some a concerned about woman and children, the ladies chose to be here and may choose to ignore or contribute. Children, let’s let their parents, parent. If we know a child or lady are present or involved in a discussion then show common decency and mind your language.

Sorry to see @willow and @cochise go down like that, enjoyed both their contributions as posters and mods, we didn’t always agree but we avoided arguments. Was always going to end in tears and for what it’s worth right or wrong all played their part. Time will tell if it was a good decision or not. Enough about that.

Apologies for the long post, been sitting on this for a while and it’s my second attempt tonight to post this failed the first time so had to retype.

Agree with all of this. I would also say that after a year away people should have the opportunity to come back and shown they have grown.

The biggest issue seems to be what different people find offensive. I think we have to take the approach we do in society and speak with different posters in different ways.

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509865) said:
@tcl said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509863) said:

Swearing I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s not at another poster and in context. “Your a ……….” ??, “the refs a …….” ?. Not the c word (I learnt that early) and not a combination of swear words that are just plain wrong. I know some a concerned about woman and children, the ladies chose to be here and may choose to ignore or contribute. Children, let’s let their parents, parent. If we know a child or lady are present or involved in a discussion then show common decency and mind your language.

Agree with all of this. I would also say that after a year away people should have the opportunity to come back and shown they have grown.

The biggest issue seems to be what different people find offensive. **I think we have to take the approach we do in society and speak with different posters in different ways.**

Spot on, that’s what sensible people do.

If you take offence to something or disagree just say so and I’m sure the other posters will be cool with it. Try and avoid making judgment of the post instead discuss the point. Agree to disagree and move on. Reasonable people may actually change their minds if you make a valid point and if they don’t no big deal. You can’t expect everyone to agree all the time.

I get the passion but don’t understand why people make it personal in a footy forum.

@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509719) said:
@macdougall said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509243) said:
@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1508898) said:
I'm still trying to figure out who argues with mods and why they would do this. I've been here 17 years, never banned, never had a fight with a mod. I'm not clear why it's hard for some folks; you don't have to do much to stay in the good books and still offer your opinion.

And now there's this fairly pathetic chest beating going on in this thread, about topics I really don't understand, but it's ugly.

I got put on mod preview once and I messaged Willow and was like "hey Willow mod preview sucks can you just undo it and if I ever do anything wrong again you can just ban me" and he agreed and removed the mod preview. Willow was alright at times but the dude had hectic high school teacher vibes that just attracted and encouraged people to take issue with his authority (and created a clique of sycophants that made the forum eye rollingly cringe at times).

Never ever had a clash with willow... again, it shouldn't be that hard to navigate around people.

Pretty hard to navigate around a mod that had so much time on his hands he'd police you when you use common terms like wtf. I dunno bout you but as a grown ass man on a footy forum I'd prefer to be able to talk like I do with anyone else. Sure if this was a primary school it might be different.

I swore at primary school and footy games.....in the 70s.
So did my mates.

@tigerbalm said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509744) said:

The actual question is - is someone actually asking the rest of us what should be acceptable, or is kul just making the decision alone?

Well we have asked that of @kul and have had no response… so as it appears it’s up to the community.. I’m asking what is now acceptable and what is not.. as in what goes and what doesn’t…?

**No** racist
**No** hom*phobic slurs
**No** doxing
If we are worried that a 3 year old tigers fan may stumble on the site, add some *** to naughty words if you must but that's naïve.

Topics are a rough guide but a thread is allowed to play out.

Mods are to enforce the No's above, not their opinions.

What’s doxing ? Is that revealing people’s real names ?

@wagga_tiger said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509811) said:

Very Well Said @Wagga_Tiger
R E S P E C T for other peoples views is not shown enough on here.
Swearing in posts is not acceptable imo and particularly someone saying "oh Jesus" this or "oh God" that in a derogatory way.
Use your intelligent words people...please.

@mike said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509845) said:
@demps said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509738) said:

? Racism
? Weird sexual posting
? threats of violence towards users

Pretty simple.

I’ll add a few..

? Objectification of women or other genders
? Bullying, harassment, insulting or personal attacks
? Posting of copyright or licensed material without permission
? Spam or advertising
? Flaming (similar to bullying)
? Shotgun posting (same question across several threads)
? No hijacking of threads attempting to change the focus of the thread
? Illegal activity or discussion of illegal activity
? Sexual content or nudity
? Hacking the site, malware or exploits
? Multiple usernames (sockpuppets)
? SHOUTING
? Threaten lawsuits or other legal action
? Hate speech or discrimination
? Gratuitously violent content
? Gratuitous swearing, it’s a family and inclusive site (or at least it should be)

Congratulations @mike The best post so far by 100 miles.
If Mike was to become a Mod on Wests Tigers Forum, I am absolutely certain he would lead us down the rite path to becoming "a Family and inclusive site" with no need for 'should be'.

@strongee said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509891) said:
@tigerbalm said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509744) said:

**No** racist
**No** hom*phobic slurs
**No** doxing
If we are worried that a 3 year old tigers fan may stumble on the site, add some *** to naughty words if you must but that's naïve.

Topics are a rough guide but a thread is allowed to play out.

Mods are to enforce the No's above, not their opinions.

What’s doxing ? Is that revealing people’s real names ?

Yes. I only learnt this the other day too... First I've heaed. Of it

Latest posts

Back