Balmain Leagues Club

Channel 9 said that tyhe new club would be branded as Wests Ashfield. Whilst Wests are paying for it I thought they may brand it as a Wests Tigers Leagues.

Channel 9 said that tyhe new club would be branded as Wests Ashfield. Whilst Wests are paying for it I thought they may brand it as a Wests Tigers Leagues.
Wests tigers leagues sounds a bit funny. You don't see St George Illawarra Dragons leagues or Parramatta eels leagues.
It should be wests leagues or just tigers. Wests Tigers Logo prominent on all the clubs facades.

Have they gotten rid of that Victoria Road eyesore yet? Every time that I see Benny Elias' name on here it reminds and makes me feel sick.

Cannot understand why anybody has an issue with the Wests Ashfield Leagues Club name. The Leumeah one rightly has the western suburbs bit in it's name, with the west being way past Ashfield long before I was born 57 years ago on Monday

I don’t really care what it’s called, as long as it’s bringing in more funds that can be pumped back into the football department.

I remember Darcy Byrne telling me a couple of years ago that the discussions he was party to with Simon Cook etc revolved around the new club being labelled Wests Tigers Leagues Club - Balmain. And that Ashfield would become WTLC - Ashfield.

And any future new clubs, if any, would also be branded likewise.

Wests Ashfield in Balmain makes no sense to me.
Wests Balmain would be simpler and more fitting.
A magpie and a tiger on the logo same as what is located on the jerseys.

If there is a complete rebranding of all the clubs to Wests Tigers clubs that is another alternative.

But the simpler move would be to keep the Wests name and change the location.
(They currently don’t call Wests leagues at Leumea Wests Ashfield Leumea)

I remember Darcy Byrne telling me a couple of years ago that the discussions he was party to with Simon Cook etc revolved around the new club being labelled Wests Tigers Leagues Club - Balmain. And that Ashfield would become WTLC - Ashfield.

And any future new clubs, if any, would also be branded likewise.
that is a good option moving forward
Wests Tigers Leagues Club - Ashfield
Wests tigers Leagues Club - Balmain

Appreciate that, And don't doubt they did.....

But I don't build bridges - Because I don't know how.....
Good intentions doesn't make anyone the right people for a position or responsibility.

A high profile leagues club that has been around for a very long time should never be in that position....
I'll boil it down quickly because you don't appear to have the background.

Balmain wanted to revamp the premises because (1) the new pokie tax hit revenues, and (2) the facility was fairly old. This is true of all Leagues clubs, they have all been diversifying over the last few decades.

As part of the deal to redevelop the site, including residential, Balmain vacated the premises and NSW Labor was to build a metro station under the lot. Labor spent half a billion before abandoning the plan, which left Balmain both out of the premises and having to resubmit plans for development.

Leichhardt (now Inner West) Council proceeded to block planning at the Leagues Club over the next several years. It was a combination of overly optimistic development desires and classic NIMBYism. Balmain maintained they had to have a minimum redevelopment capacity (e.g. tower heights) to make a redevelopment long-term profitable.

All the while Balmain are bleeding money because they no longer have incomes from the primary leagues club site.

At one point the potential redevelopment was moved from council to NSW Planning Commission (state), but that also did not resolve the development issue. By this time Balmain sold the lot and their debt and this is where Benny Elias got involved. Eventually that ownership was transferred to the current mob - Heworth.

And then more recently Wests Ashfield offered to merge with Balmain, take on all debts and assets and merge the member cohorts, which was voted in favour by all parties.

So certainly there's a level of bad planning or naivety from Balmain, but if Labor Govt didn't set up and dump the 2008 Metro, Balmain either would have a new premises or would never have moved out.

Don't let anyone be deranged enough to think that successful clubs in NSW are all about smart business decisions and excellent management. MANY of the wealthiest clubs in NSW are simply enormous pokie dens. Wests Ashfield is not some sort of genius business group - it's evident because they are also responsible for a decade of mismanagement of Wests Tigers. Rather, Ashfield is a high gambling district and their pokie revenues are huge.

Same with Canterbury Leagues - Canterbury is the highest pokie losses LGA in the state.

Last edited:
Whilst it's a fine concept to want to have a Wests Tigers Leagues Club, actually no such business entity exists at this time. Wests Ashfield is the leagues club entity at Ashfield, and Wests Tigers are the football club entity.

However I've actually just discovered that Wests Ashfield appear have rebranded themselves the "Holman Barnes Group". If you google Wests Ashfield, you get linked to HBG
and it's the same WA directors we've always had.

But now it appears WA is one of the brands in their portfolio, along with the Croydon and Markets entities they absorbed from Balmain.

Therefore it does make sense that they might be repositioning themselves for a new club at Rozelle to be a 4th club entity under the Holman Barnes Group banner, and therefore no specific need to brand the new club "Wests Ashfield".

Should be pretty obvious to everyone that Holman Barnes is a reflection of the merger, both Keith H and Keith B.

Whilst it's a fine concept to want to have a Wests Tigers Leagues Club, actually no such business entity exists at this time. Wests Ashfield is the leagues club entity at Ashfield, and Wests Tigers are the football club entity.

However I've actually just discovered that Wests Ashfield appear have rebranded themselves the "Holman Barnes Group". If you google Wests Ashfield, you get linked to HBG

But now it appears WA is one of the brands in their portfolio, along with the Croydon and Markets entities they absorbed from Balmain.

Therefore it does make sense that they might be repositioning themselves for a new club at Rozelle to be a 4th club entity under the Holman Barnes Group banner, and therefore no specific need to brand the new club "Wests Ashfield".

Should be pretty obvious to everyone that Holman Barnes is a reflection of the merger, both Keith H and Keith B.
Noticed that
Finally maybe a united front is happening and it might be the start of something fir the club, has only taken 20 years

Noticed that
Finally maybe a united front is happening and it might be the start of something fir the club, has only taken 20 years
At least there is a continued and genuine acknowledgement of the partnership and the shared history.

Balmain could really have killed off Wests back at the beginning, and Wests could have killed Balmain more recently.

It is a true reflection of the brotherly equity of the merger, which you cannot say about what's happened with St George Illawarra or Northern Eagles.

I just received an email as a Wests Ashfield LC member detailing exactly that.

At the bottom of the email it states the following.

Individual club names will not be changing, however our new umbrella brand will better encompass all of Wests' entities: Wests Ashfield, Croydon Sports Club, Markets Club, our representation in Wests Magpies, our shareholding at Wests Tigers, as well as our plans for the new Balmain Leagues Club. It will also help differentiate us from other Wests club groups.

Our new website will make it easier to navigate between our venues, but our ethos will remain unchanged.”

There you have it.

I just received an email as a Wests Ashfield LC member detailing exactly that.

At the bottom of the email it states the following.

Individual club names will not be changing, however our new umbrella brand will better encompass all of Wests' entities: Wests Ashfield, Croydon Sports Club, Markets Club, our representation in Wests Magpies, our shareholding at Wests Tigers, as well as our plans for the new Balmain Leagues Club. It will also help differentiate us from other Wests club groups.

Our new website will make it easier to navigate between our venues, but our ethos will remain unchanged.”

There you have it.
Thanks for sharing. I am a Wests Ashfield member but I haven't received any communication yet.

How strange I happened to be looking it up today and it appears the rebranding is literally just off the presses. I suppose not that strange if we've been talking about Balmain Leagues pushing ahead.

Back