Ben Ross

Captain_Awesome

The Ben Ross Special: Bargain basement prices

Ben Blaschke NRL.com Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:45:00
He arrived at Cronulla four years ago as one of the highest paid players in the NRL but comeback kid **Ben Ross is looming as a bargain basement target for rival clubs in 2010.**
Just four months after a serious neck injury suffered in a freak Round 1 accident threatened to end his rugby league career, Ross is back on the training paddock and eyeing a shock return this season after being given the all-clear by doctors.

But his rapid recovery has also sparked a minor frenzy in the market as clubs clamber to add a player with representative experience to their 2010 playing roster.

Ross is expected to knock back a number of overseas offers to stay in the NRL next year and is expected to decide in the coming weeks whether to stay at Cronulla or look for a fresh start elsewhere.

**The Sydney Roosters, Wests Tigers, Parramatta and former club Penrith loom as potential homes for the 29-year-old, who played six games for Queensland in 2004-05.**

“We’ve had some interest overseas but we’ve also had a lot of interest from NRL clubs because he is a salary-cap effective buy,” Ross’ manager George Mimis said today.

“He has hardly played this year so he can come into a roster fairly effectively from a salary cap point of view.

“A number of clubs are looking at that quite positively and we’re talking to a few of them at the moment.”

Ross’ time with Cronulla has been plagued by injury and suspension, the giant front-rower having played just 42 games in the almost four seasons he has spent in Sydney’s south.

His hefty salary has also caused friction in the past with coach Ricky Stuart who believes the limited time Ross has spent on the field hasn’t justified his price tag. But Ross himself is remaining tight-lipped about his future, with Cronulla still in the running to retain his services.

Asked where he saw himself in 2010, Ross simply said: “Back on the football field… I’m letting my manager look after all of that so I can just worry about trying to get back to playing footy,” he said.

“I try to stay out of all of everything so that I don’t burn any bridges with anyone.

“I just want to play football.”

In the meantime, Ross has almost returned to full training with the Sharks and continues to eye a remarkable return to the NRL this year after rupturing a disc in his neck against Penrith in the season opener.

He underwent surgery that week but, incredibly, was later cleared to play again by surgeon Richard Parkinson just five weeks later.

“I’m pretty much back to full training apart from heavy contact,” he said.

“I’m doing weights, full cardio in the gym and because I’m assistant coach of the Toyota Cup team I’m doing some training with them too in the afternoons and doing a bit of contact there.

“It’s going along pretty good.

“I’m actually feeling better than I was before I got injured.”

Ross said he was still amazed by the fortunate set of events that not only saved him from being confined to a wheelchair but prevented any serious long-term injury.

“I owe it all to the physio and the rehabilitation stuff he has done with me,” Ross said of his looming return.

“I suppose when you get told that you’ll never play again it is a bit of a shock but three months later everything is positive, the injury has healed properly and it looks like I’ll be back this year.

“I’m just taking it day by day now, with each week it is feeling better and we’ll take it from there.”

He wont come here on $100k but I wouldnt be giving him more than $150k. Maybe have an option in there regarding injury and form. If he can get a full 2010 season in, maybe bump him up to $200k.

I think Ben Ross is under rated. He has good size and go-forward, something we haven't had much of this year. Snap him up I say.

Was wondering when his name would come up….

Mixed feelings on this one...Ben Ross $400k marquee player forget about it....

Even if he came here at say $200k it is a big risk given his injury concerns...

As much as we definately need Props desperately....Ben Ross......pass...

I mentioned Ross on the old forum but most thought he would be too expensive and his injury problems could also be a concern.

People have been calling for the Tigers to snare a decent prop and I think $200k would get him into a Tigers jersey. Not sure whether we have that amount up our sleeve but a fully fit Ross would be worth it IMO. He's got great size and goes forward.

A bit weary of Ross.He is a great player when fit but i think his last season injury free was 04.
but now with two of our players going to the sharks i would'nt be surprised if we see a sharks forward playing with us
I think Ross, Norrie & Snowden are off contract any of them would be handy additions

@willow said:
I mentioned Ross on the old forum but most thought he would be too expensive and his injury problems could also be a concern.

People have been calling for the Tigers to snare a decent prop and I think $200k would get him into a Tigers jersey. Not sure whether we have that amount up our sleeve but a fully fit Ross would be worth it IMO. He's got great size and goes forward.

When he has been in form he certainly does go forward better than any current Wests Tigers Prop that's for sure…

It's just the nature of his injury...'the neck' is the reason for my concern....and his ability to get knocked out every 6 or 7 games...

Would he come here for $200k though...

@Geo. said:
@willow said:

When he has been in form he certainly does go forward better than any current Wests Tigers Prop that's for sure…

It's just the nature of his injury...'the neck' is the reason for my concern....and his ability to get knocked out every 6 or 7 games...

I don't think there are any clubs that would pay more than $200k for him given his injuries and time on the sideline. I think he definitely needs a change of scenery, Cronulla certainly hasn't been a good move for him. His injuries would probably make most clubs think twice, but if he does stay injury free…well he'd be worth it then for sure.

@willow said:
@Geo. said:
@willow said:

I don't think there are any clubs that would pay more than $200k for him given his injuries and time on the sideline. I think he definitely needs a change of scenery, Cronulla certainly hasn't been a good move for him. His injuries would probably make most clubs think twice, but if he does stay injury free…well he'd be worth it then for sure.

Well we have gambled on Farah's back, Marshall's shoulders..Prince's leg in the past…

He may well be worth the risk...there aren't many seasoned quality Props out there...

Now this is much better than signing 400 backs like we seem to be looking at doing recently, Ben Ross has a tonne of talent if he can keep fit and is exactly what we need - size and impact.

8\. Ross
9\. Farah
10\. Galloway
11\. Ellis
12\. Heighington
13\. Fulton

Suddenly thats a very formidable pack…

I'd be wrapped if we signed someone like Ben Ross, at the right price of course. He's big, tough and would add that bit of starch that we need in our pack of forwards.

@Zaibatsu said:
Now this is much better than signing 400 backs like we seem to be looking at doing recently, Ben Ross has a tonne of talent if he can keep fit and is exactly what we need - size and impact.

8\. Ross
9\. Farah
10\. Galloway
11\. Ellis
12\. Heighington
13\. Fulton

Suddenly thats a very formidable pack…

Injury free that's as good as any.

Add Gibbs, Payten, Laurie, Mataka, Schirnack (x2), Dwyer, Hyland etc etc and we are looking good.

It's amazing what a good prop would do!

yeah he would be a good pick up, kinda like this direction with the tigers, picking up good players who've had a run of bad luck with injuries etc, worked out well with Prince.

Id prefer Snowden but id certainly be looking into Ross, maybe a 2 year deal.

I mean really whats the worst that could happen, he gets injured and we're back to where we are now.

We may as well go for him and I say.

maybe we could make a trade. they give us ben ross, we give them sleau ryan :mrgreen: :sunglasses:

He has played a few origins and was at the Panthers during their run to the finals but has been cursed since his move to the Sharks. He did his knee early in a season and than his neck. He hasn't showed any of this form since his move to the Sharks. Wouldn't pay too much for him with his injuries and lack of career form in past seasons.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back