Best video game you’ve ever played

steakceleryice

The other day, I walked into my brother’s room to chat with him about something, and I noticed he was playing his usual video game. As we started talking, it caught my eye that he moved away from what he was playing and started clicking the mouse randomly while devoting more attention to our conversation. A look at his laptop screen revealed a superhero-themed slot game, which is apparently a thing these days.

I used to work as a TV producer so I know a thing or two about movies and their influence on pop culture. To me, the fact that you can now enjoy themed gambling games that use motives from the most popular movies and TV shows (like https://www.nodeposithero.com/feature/marvel-slots-free-spins/, for example) came as no surprise.

But, it also made me remember a time when things were much simpler. When I was growing up, we would go to the local arcade to play Street Fighter II. It was only later that we had access to Sony PlayStations and games like PES, Mortal Kombat, and the like. I realized that, despite the ultra-realistic graphics and storylines, I still preferred the glitchy, pixelated Street Fighter game because it reminds me of a happier time in my life. What’s the best video game you’ve ever played?

fire power at the billiard hall,bowling ally ,static electricity fritzed the machines[free games]we pilfered the space n vaders.bank vault in the back,we did the coin trick on the in line machines that paid out,seen how many gates there are in a card machine if the dash falls open,old days fknfn

@steakceleryice said in [Best video game you’ve ever played](/post/1520475) said:
The other day, I walked into my brother’s room to chat with him about something, and I noticed he was playing his usual video game. As we started talking, it caught my eye that he moved away from what he was playing and started clicking the mouse randomly while devoting more attention to our conversation. A look at his laptop screen revealed a superhero-themed slot game, which is apparently a thing these days.

I used to work as a TV producer so I know a thing or two about movies and their influence on pop culture. To me, the fact that you can now enjoy themed gambling games that use motives from the most popular movies and TV shows (like https://www.nodeposithero.com/feature/marvel-slots-free-spins/, for example) came as no surprise.

But, it also made me remember a time when things were much simpler. When I was growing up, we would go to the local arcade to play Street Fighter II. It was only later that we had access to Sony PlayStations and games like PES, Mortal Kombat, and the like. I realized that, despite the ultra-realistic graphics and storylines, I still preferred the glitchy, pixelated Street Fighter game because it reminds me of a happier time in my life. What’s the best video game you’ve ever played?

I kind of thought the same thing a few years ago, about new vs old games.

I used to be an avid gamer in my youth; I was raised in the 80s (sounds like you were too), started with an Apple IIe, then an IBM 386, SNES, N64, Pentium PC etc. etc. I used to play Street Fighter and Final Fight down at the arcade. I was PC gaming and trading games before it was generally popular and accessible to do so. I played the absolute arse out of some games back then on 5.25 and 3.5 inch disk: Ski or Die, Syndicate, NBA 89, Arkanoid, Test Drive, Indiana Jones Last Crusade, Wolfenstein, Command & Conquer, Warcraft etc.

My favourite games from that era were Global Conquest (made by Microprose, not so well known), Quest for Glory (originally called Hero's Quest, but Sierra had to rename it due to the MB board game), Freespace 2, Tie Fighter.

Then later classics for me - Total Annihilation, Homeworld, Deus Ex, Starcraft, Jedi Knight, Age of Empires II, Half Life. I loved Donkey Kong Country on my SNES.

Then I had kids and stopped playing for quite some years, just didn't have the time.

After about 5 years break I bought an Xbox One X in November 2018. I had a Nintendo Wii for sort of casual gaming, but I basically missed all console gaming between the Nintendo 64 and the Xbox One / PS4.

I played Red Dead Redemption 2 as one of my first games - transformative. Blew my mind how it looked, the scope, how it played; the emotional content of it. The concept of stopping mid-game to admire the amazing view, and pinch yourself that it's not real. I used to go back into the game just to ride my digital horse around and drink up the atmosphere, with no particular aim in mind. Brought my love of computer games right back and as good as anything I've ever played. Then I played Subnautica and that is potentially the best game I've ever played. Totally hooked on the setting, the constant niggling fear of the unknown in the deep water, but the drive to explore, collect, build. At the end of the game, not wanting to spoilt it, but I didn't want to go offworld, I just wanted to kick back in my underwater base and drive around in my sub.

So there's my long answer - Subnautica. I must have played it 200 hours and that's voluntary, outside of my large family obligations, in this day of seemingly limitless content via streaming and digital download. When I was 10 there weren't so many games available and I couldn't afford to buy them anyway, so I played what I had. These days if a game grabs you hard, it must be good, even all-time era good.

Back to one of your original points though, I can't relate to my kids' gaming preferences and it's a generational thing that exists across all other media like music and TV. Why would anyone waste time on Marvel Slots? I must have 200 games in my library, but all my kids want to do is play Lego games, Minecraft and Roblox. My son complains that Roblox crashes all the time, and I tell him "because they are shitty games made by nobodies on a poncey framework. I have so many real and reliable games, go play those."

Space invaders arcade machines are starting to creep into the shopping malls here in Brisbane.
I think these types of games are gaining popularity again because they're 'instant games'
No loading just throw the coin in and hit start.
I cut my teeth on those sort of games, arghhh memories!,

I've never been much of a gamer. When I moved out I took the old play station and my old man kept the brand new play station 2... His favorite game was always crash bandicoot.
Fast forward some 20 odd years and my 8 year old is amazed at this old gaming machine that grandpa plays, dad set him up and off he went. He only played for about half an hour and then we went home. A few weeks later I dropped him off to stay for a couple of nights while his mum and I went away, I got a call the next dad from my irate father telling me to come and get him. He had just obliterated dad's high score that he'd spent 20 years earning on his second session at it! I don't think i've ever laughed so hard!!! Both my boys love their video games and I try and play with them occasionally but I just can't get interested. All the games look the same to me and they like to gang up and kill me so they can call me a "newb" and tell me I've been "yeeted", whatever that is.
I've just turned 40 by the way and I've never felt so out of touch.......

Less and less time for games as the year's go on...

2013 GTA IV was a special game though.
The very first COD : Black Ops

Going even further back GTA : San Andreas on PS2

Love all the UFC and Rugby League Live games over the years and will always buy them if they come out with new ones.

And going further back again , I loved Fight Night series and PS1's Knock out Kings as well as NBA Street/ Jam.

I grew up with the original Nintendo Entertainment System loved all the Mario games and games like California Games and Excitbike. We transitioned to the Mega Drive at some point and moved onto a PlayStation when my younger brother was growing up. Always liked the Nintendo game the best.

A few years ago a got one of the mini Nintendos and smashed through most of the games. Got a switch and love it. Don’t get much time to play due to the kids but my son has started getting into it so we’ve been playing Pokémon and Minecraft a bit. Also got him into the new Mario games which are great.

I remember skipping school with my cousin so we could go and play Street Fighter 2 out the front of the local shops.

I have been a video gamer at home since the 70s starting with a system 80 then apple and have been on various pc's for almost 30 years.Best game is very hard to answer as i prefer certain styles of games mainly tactical and role playing.The best games would probably be the UFO/Xcom games the begining ones and the latest ones,the ones in the middle were poor.Also the Panzer General,Panzer Corps 1 and 2 series of games are brilliant.My favorite role playing games are based on D&D and am currently enjoying Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous on Steam
There is an MMO coming out on Steam next month which is amazing (i played the Beta)It already has many players in S.Korea/Japan and Russia called Lost Ark and will now be availabe for Europe/Oceania and the Americas.It is free to instal and play.
I am retired so that certainly helps in my time allocation

California Games, wow, thanks for the memories.
What about Double Dragon, Shinobi, then later on Tony Hawke 1, 2, & 3. I think one of the later street fighter games we got to the end and it opened up a bonus ten pin bowling game and you bowled using all the fighters from the game. Great Days.
Then I decided to put all that time wasted into learning guitar and construction diploma. I have never really played since.

@demps said in [Best video game you’ve ever played](/post/1520500) said:

Love all the UFC and Rugby League Live games over the years and will always buy them if they come out with new ones.

And going further back again , I loved Fight Night series and PS1's Knock out Kings as well as NBA Street/ Jam.

fight nights were great wish they brought then back

Nerd

Red Dead 2
Witcher 3
Uncharted all
AC Val
Ghost of tsushima
Metal Gear
Tomb raider

So many great games over the years and so much time spent playing.

WoW off and on. PvP ftw.

Forgotten so many on the pc as well.

Early on in the arcades was Golden Axe, Double Dragon. 20c a game, 3 lives.
Good times

@pj said in [Best video game you’ve ever played](/post/1520537) said:
Red Dead 2
Witcher 3
Uncharted all
AC Val
Ghost of tsushima
Metal Gear
Tomb raider

WoW off and on. PvP ftw.

Good times

😂

@jedi_tiger said in [Best video game you’ve ever played](/post/1520533) said:

fight nights were great wish they brought then back

They should hey,
Classic games..

I got the Rocky Balboa knock out game or whatever it is called a while back.

Good bit of fun but nothing compared to Fight Nights.

I used to go back into the game just to ride my digital horse around and drink up the atmosphere, with no particular aim in mind.

Used to do that on GTA.... just cruise around

First game we got was Carmageddon..

But I was into the pinnies.... I understand what@merlot is on about...the static shuffle.... There was also
A special type of sticky tape and you had to know how to tape the cotton to the 20c piece so it was perfectly balanced

Loved eye of the tiger pinball.... Spent more time. Playing these than going to high school... Then space invaders and donkey Kong came along distracting me further

Dark souls 2 and Bloodborne were faves for me.

Skyrim as well, played the older ones as a kid.

Want to try the witcher.

Donkey Kong on the original Nintendo Game and Watch, I remember clocking it just by standing at the bottom jumping the barrels. Moved onto PC gaming mid 90s with X-Wing v Tie Fighter then Dark Forces. X Box early 2000s with Halo then onto PlayStation but the best game is Knights of The Old Republic which is having a PlayStation 5 remake sometime this year.

Red Dead 2
Witcher 3
Uncharted all
AC Val
Ghost of tsushima
Metal Gear
Tomb raider

WoW off and on. PvP ftw.

Good times

That is an excellent list

Red dead redemption two is incredible. Maybe my favourite game of all time

@jc99 said in [Best video game you’ve ever played](/post/1520560) said:
Red Dead 2
Witcher 3
Uncharted all
AC Val
Ghost of tsushima
Metal Gear
Tomb raider

WoW off and on. PvP ftw.

Good times

That is an excellent list

Red dead redemption two is incredible. Maybe my favourite game of all time

I got it for Xmas.
Might have to find some time to play it !!

Back